World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > What to expect in Midterms?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16076 comments Oops, the CIA's informants in Moscow disappeared? https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/us... How will we know whether Russia will have appointed senators?
Anyhow the scandalous and sensational air prevails ever since the presidential race. What do you think will happen in November?

message 2: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin There will be more Russian hacking attempts against the American electoral process, with Putin denying any Russian malfeasance and with Trump too happy saying that he believes Putin. However, it seems that the big names in the electronic communications industry have finally started to shoulder some of the responsibilities they are supposed to take on, while various political and media groups are becoming more vigilant against hacking attempts and fake sites. Overall, I believe that the midterms election will go ahead with only some minor annoyances and setbacks.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 16076 comments And as of the results, do you think dems will sweep the board because of Trumps problems projecting onto reps or not necessarily?

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Bott (iansbott) | 214 comments Trump winning in the first place was a sign that times are unpredictable. Whether the dems will sweep the board, or whether enough of his base remaining steadfastly loyal, willfully blind to the mockery he's made of American democracy, will tip the balance - who can say? I'm certainly not prepared to make a prediction.

However, I think people's focus on direct hacking of votes is a bit of a red herring. That doesn't mean to say they shouldn't guard against it - which makes it all the more remarkable that republicans recently squashed attempts to enforce more rigorous security - but IMO the real danger is more subtle.

People seem fixated on the recording of votes, and voter registration, but the real manipulation has been going on in the press and social media for years now. Slanting stories, controlling the narrative that people consume, swaying people's opinions - once you have people in thrall to your chosen narrative there is no need to falsify the votes themselves.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 11797 comments Russia will not appoint anyone, but thanks to the publicity their hackers have got, and the propensity for others to hack, my guess is there will be quite a bit of hacking allegations, a good deal of it real, and a good deal of that originating in Russia. Whatever the result, the Russians will be blamed. My guess is also that while the natural defence to this is for people to think carefully before voting and forget about ads of doubtful provenance, that won't happen.

As to who will win, I think the Dems will gain, but the question then is, will they gain enough? I think they should, bearing in mind what is going on now, but the question then is, will the voters think the change will be an improvement?

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 6184 comments What if the Dems gain a majority in the House and Senate and Trump is impeached? Let's think about that. Pence will become President. If something happens to him, the next in line will be the Speaker of the House, then the President Pro-tem of the Senate, who could very well be Democrats.

message 7: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2329 comments Ian wrote: "
As to who will win, I think the Dems will gain, but the question then is, will they gain enough? I think they should, bearing in mind what is going on now, but the question then is, will the voters think the change will be an improvement? ..."

No doubt they'll pick up seats. The question is how much of a bloodbath will it be for Republicans?

As the other Ian said, you can't count on any outcome in this climate. In a number of recent primary races, Democrats are choosing the candidate that's the furthest left, and that might turn off independents who see the Republican as more moderate. The victories the Dems have enjoyed in many special elections in the last year and half have been with candidates that don't look like "Democrats," so I don't think they can count on a sure victory if they nominate far left candidates.

Something that might play to their favor is the Russia meddling...certainly any candidate targeted in an "attack" can play it up...how many people are going to choose that candidate because they see the other as the one Russia wants? On the other hand, Russia has been pushing the whole "abolish ICE" thing as part of its strategy, so their interference could play against the Dems if candidates take a position Russia "took."

Of course the whole thing comes down to turnout. Midterm elections generally see a disproportionate number of Republican voters come out, so this blue wave will depend entirely on whether or not all the Dems and Independents fed up with Trump actually get out and vote. Think back to Occupy Wall Street: Democrats tried to embrace the protest, hoping to get the Millennials to come out and vote for them, but it didn't happen.

However this election turns out, it does look like it will be an exciting night to watch.

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 3079 comments From press accounts the economy is up in the USA. When the economy is doing well then the incumbent gains or at least does not do as badly as expected. People vote with their best self interest.

For the Democrats they need something solid on the Republican they are opposing not just background noise on Trump. I am not discounting it but for most people if they can be bothered to vote at all

Do I have a job
Do I have money in my pocket
What's on TV
What on at the movies
What's going on in some ceebrity's life
Are my kids getting educated
Some politician has been sleazy
Climate change
Russia
Syria - where is Syria

Then again I'm a cynic.