What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > societal based dystopian stories where men get the short end of the stick?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elfkin477 (last edited Aug 24, 2018 03:15PM) (new)

Elfkin477 | 9 comments When I read the description of Vox by Christina Dalcher, I sighed and thought "oh great, another dystopian where everything goes to hell - for women."

Are there any stories where it's men, not women, who are forced down by a societal sea-change? I don't mean stories like The Power by Naomi Alderman where magic causes women to literally overpower men, but government does the oppressing. Stories where men have rights stripped away, not women for once.

Perhaps spawning from something like Golda Meir's counter-suggestion to a call for a curfew for women that men not be allowed out after dark due to rapes due to them being the ones who do all the raping...

There have to be some books where a massive change in the way people are governed causes men to be powerless for once, don't there?

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments I'm amazed that there aren't yet any responses claiming that this is the world where men get the short end of the stick.

A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer is set in a world where men are so rare that they are sheltered, controlled and traded for political power and favor. I haven't read it but have heard good things.

In trying to remember the title of that one, I came across this list, which you might find interesting:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/s...

message 5: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Jones | 10 comments Not sure if they're exactly dystopian, but they certainly make people think: Two books by Sheri S. Tepper: "The Gate to Women's Country" and "Six Moon Dance".

message 7: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) | 228 comments Seconding The Gate to Women's Country.

message 10: by Robert (last edited Apr 10, 2021 11:22PM) (new)

Robert (ricroscupshigh) | 369 comments Not sure that it really counts as dystopian, but When Voiha Wakes, by Joy Chant. - This is the tale of a love that shattered a world, between a woman destined to be queen and the young man who stole her heart with the magic of his music. Rahike was Young Mistress of Naramethe, an exotic land of spice and wine where women ruled and men lived at their pleasure. Mairilek was a humble potter, beautiful and graceful and strong, who defied custom to play the music forbidden to men, and loosed the power of the ancient sleeping gods upon the earth.