Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Books that could help 10 yr old understand depression.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments My guess is it would best be explained through fiction. Does anyone have suggestions?

It is a very complex disease and strictly medical information is not likely to provide the degree of insight and understanding that would help alleviate a 10 year old child's anxiety and fear.

Thanks

message 2: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 322 comments Have a look at Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot by Horatio Clare. It's pitched at MG level.

message 3: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Justine wrote: "Have a look at Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot by Horatio Clare. It's pitched at MG level."

Thanks, Justine. I have ordered it.

I failed to mention that the 10 year old is a girl, but she is a voracious reader, so if I think this will work, I can probably/hopefully entice her to read it.

message 4: by Jemima (last edited Aug 25, 2018 12:23PM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1495 comments Mod
My first thought was to go back to Winnie the Pooh. Eeyore must be the first depressed person most of us met.

What type of depression is she dealing with, and is it her own, a sibling or friend, or an adult? I was thinking of a few books with manic depressives in them, but that's the old-fashioned term, I gather it's better called bipolar disorder now.

If an adult, one I read and reviewed last year See You In The Cosmos had a boy who seemed to be coping with everything on his own, with ambitions to launch a rocket (which he did!) and you eventually discovered his mother was suffering from depression and just couldn't cope. I felt it was unsuitable for MG, but it might work for someone who was in that sort of situation, with some guidance at hand.

message 5: by Jemima (new)

Jemima Pett | 1495 comments Mod
I've just been looking at the blurb of an MG book out on 1st September, After Zero by Christina Collins. One of the review quotes says "After Zero reminds us of so many loved ones of those suffering from anxiety or depressive disorders."
Actually, that was from the author of OCDaniel, another book which might be useful.

message 6: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Jemima wrote: "My first thought was to go back to Winnie the Pooh. Eeyore must be the first depressed person most of us met.

What type of depression is she dealing with, and is it her own, a sibling or friend,..."

I am unsure of all the reasons. It is my granddaughter. She wears a dental device to reshape her mouth. From the beginning, about 6 months ago, she has had a fear of choking to death and is now experiencing anxiety on an ongoing basis. Of course, he mother (my daughter) wants to help, somehow.

Many changes are going on with extended family members and I do not know if any of those have led to questions.

As far as I know, I am the depressed person in her life, the grandmother she never sees and doesn't understand why.

I am chronically depressed and withdrawn. I have PTSD. Also, panic attacks and fear of having them has led me to isolate myself.

My granddaughter's own experiences and changing awareness is likely leading to questions. My daughter mentioned this in a phone call.

My granddaughter feels a special connection to me for I have always sent her and her siblings lots of books (thus my interest in middle grade books now). How can someone that makes her feel so happy not want to come to see her? How is that I am so jovial and full of smiles, yet depressed?

That is the bit that was shared with me and the basis for my hope of finding a book or books that might help.

Thanks, Jemima

Rio (fairy circle ink) (fairycircleink) | 14 comments I personally don't think a ten-year old needs help understanding depression. When i was ten I got a fair share of it myself....so i think if you explain it to them like you would any other person they'll understand.

message 8: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Rio (fairy circle ink) wrote: "I personally don't think a ten-year old needs help understanding depression. When i was ten I got a fair share of it myself....so i think if you explain it to them like you would any other person t..."

Thanks. Her mom is probably doing her best.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Langhinrichs (blanghinrichs) | 24 comments Two wonderful middle grade books that came out recently that deal with the topic are Where the Watermelons Grow and Tiny Infinities. Both deal with a mother's depression, though I'd say the former is more direct about it (and therefore possibly too much for some kids), while the latter is a little less direct but still handles it beautifully.

message 10: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments I'm anxious to check them out. Thank you!

message 11: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Ben wrote: "Two wonderful middle grade books that came out recently that deal with the topic are Where the Watermelons Grow and Tiny Infinities. Both deal with a mother's depres..."

Found both at the library. Thanks again.

message 12: by Louie (new)

Louie | 73 comments Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand. The main character struggles with anxiety and depression. I haven't been able to read this one yet but it sounds very good and has a 4 star rating here on goodreads.

message 13: by Trudy (new)

Trudy McDaniel | 30 comments Louie wrote: "Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand Some Kind of Happiness by Claire Legrand. The main character struggles with anxiety and depression. I haven't been able ..."

I mistook your suggestion for an additional suggestion from Ben. Same last names, right?

I am guessing that you are a librarian, so I should make that you plural?

My library has this book, too, and there is no waiting list. I'm quite surprised at my luck.

So many of those who commented found the book powerfully moving. I hope that I am up to it.

I truly appreciate the time you took to help me.

Trudy

message 14: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 362 comments In The Whole Story of Half a Girl, it is the father who is suffering from depression following losing his job.