Christian Readers discussion

Scripture Memorization > "Made In The Image Of God"

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1788 comments Mod
What does it mean when the Bible says we are made in God's image?

* Some think the "image of God" is a commentary on our great value and worth.

* Some think the "image of God" is that which makes us superior to other aspects of Creation.

* Some think the "image of God" means that we are "little gods".

What do you think?

Click below for a brief (one page, double-sided, tri-fold) Bible study:
http://www.christ-like.net/sitebuilde...

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan Fuller | 26 comments I like the view of the first century exegete Philo of Alexandria since it agrees with the NT.

"Now the image of God is the Word, by which all the world was made."
Philo of Alexandria; Marsh, E.C.; Yonge, C.D. The Works of Philo Judaeus of Alexandria

(2Co 4:4)  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
(Joh 1:10)  He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. (Joh 1:14)  And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

message 3: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I'm pretty sure God is better looking than me. Mostly. Slightly older perhaps. But I do have some grey hairs coming in.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Rod wrote: "I'm pretty sure God is better looking than me. Mostly. Slightly older perhaps. But I do have some grey hairs coming in."

LOL! Now that's funny!

message 5: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Good points.

At no time do I feel like a little God. I desperately require a Saviour King.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Then what about us females? Boy - when I get up there - I will have a lot of questions for God. I'm kind of scared to think about what "in his image" would be.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Sylvia wrote: "Then what about us females? Boy - when I get up there - I will have a lot of questions for God. I'm kind of scared to think about what "in his image" would be."

He made male and female in His image... but the definition of the Hebrew word God chose is interesting... I will get into that another time.

message 8: by Mickey (new)

Mickey Mullen (mrmullenvcncom) | 632 comments Why make it complcated, we are made in His image. Likeness=similarity or like same characteristics or image a representation of a person. God's Son Jesus did He look like a camel? Mankind believes they are great value and worth, so much so, it grieved God in His heart that He made man on the earth. Genesis 6:6 Love is not the reason Jesus came, it was to make mankind righteous. That's where the money is, people like to hear how much God loves them.

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments “God so hated the world that He sent His Son to hate the world and condemn humanity.” John 3:16 - Fundamentalist Revised Version

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Steve wrote: "“God so hated the world that He sent His Son to hate the world and condemn humanity.” John 3:16 - Fundamentalist Revised Version"

Um, that’s certainly “revised”, as in altered, but is not at all “fundamentalist”, as it is contrary to the fundamentals.

message 11: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I'm curious why the Westboro Baptists assume they are here to attack secular society? We are to fundamentally Judge the church, not the mission field.

As far as God's image is concerned fundamentally. No reason to assume the world has God's nature.

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments Of course that was a parody of the neo-gnostic spirit of modern western Christians... a generalization at best...

message 13: by Robert (last edited Aug 26, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Steve wrote: "“God so hated the world that He sent His Son to hate the world and condemn humanity.” John 3:16 - Fundamentalist Revised Version"

Wow! Steve finally quotes a Bible verse and he chooses the "translation" above!

message 14: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 26, 2018 11:35AM) (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Steve wrote: "Of course that was a parody of the neo-gnostic spirit of modern western Christians... a generalization at best..."

Perhaps, but it’s nothing to do with “fundamentalists”, which is a term that has become typical to use accurately regarding Islamists & inaccurately regarding Christians. Fundamentalists are those who affirm the fundamentals.

Those who pervert Scripture are not “fundamentalists”.

message 15: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 423 comments Rod wrote: "I'm curious why the Westboro Baptists assume they are here to attack secular society? We are to fundamentally Judge the church, not the mission field.

As far as God's image is concerned fundament..."

They are just another in a long list of groups that claim to be Christian but are not.

message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve | 113 comments ““For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.”
‭‭John‬ ‭3:16-17‬ ‭NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/jhn.3.16-17.nlt

message 17: by Robert (new)

Verses 18-19 tell why Jesus did not come to condemn the world... check those out

message 18: by Robert (new)

The IMAGE and LIKENESS of God...

Genesis 1:26 - "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness..."

in our image = Strong's H6754 - tselem - "צֶלֶם tselem, tseh'-lem; from an unused root meaning to shade ; a phantom , i.e. (figuratively) illusion, resemblance; hence, a representative figure, especially an idol:—image, vain shew."

after our likeness = Strong's H1823 - dĕmuwth - "דְּמוּת dᵉmûwth, dem-ooth'; from H1819; resemblance ; concretely, model, shape; adverbially, like:—fashion, like (-ness, as), manner, similitude."

Clearly, the image of God in which humans are made does not hold intrinsic value or worth. This image is to resemble God. We are like His shadow. We are His representatives on earth.