Beyond Reality discussion

SERIES—List & Discussions > Miles Vorkosigan--THE WARRIOR'S APPRENTICE - some favorite lines *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Two lines in this book that I absolutely loved:

When Miles crashes after being up for days because of the stimulant drink:

Mayhew's laughter faded. "My God," he said hollowly, "you mean he's like that all the time?"

And when Miles leaves Tung's cell after having lunch:

"Is there anything else you need? asked Miles
"A screwdriver," said Tung promptly.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Mayhew's laughter faded. "My God," he said hollowly, "you mean he's like that all the time?"

That was also my favourite line and about the point where I started laughing out loud every few pages.

message 3: by Random (last edited Aug 17, 2009 06:59PM) (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 809 comments Stefan wrote: "Mayhew's laughter faded. "My God," he said hollowly, "you mean he's like that all the time?" "

That is one of my personal favorites. :)
A few others are...

--
"I've never understood why these people won't clip their kids' tubes and turn them loose at age twelve to work out their own damnation, like sensible folk. You may as well try to stop a sandstorm with a windsock ..." She went off toward the library, muttering her favorite swear-word under her breath, "Barrayarans!"

--
"....I think I was fourteen before I found out that Ivan wasn't your middle name."
(In regards to "That idiot Ivan")

--
"Other people" Miles groaned, "get to hallucinate orgies and giant cicadas and things. What do I get? Relatives. I can see relatives when I'm conscious. It's not fair ..."

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 487 comments One of my favourite Miles lines of all time comes from The Warrior's Apprentice.

(from memory so may not be 100% exact)

Here he sat, a man with an imaginary battlefleet, negotiating for its services with a man with an imaginary budget. Well, the price was certainly right.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Right in the beginning, Miles shows how he treats the whole world in his exchange with Kostolitz, the guy that is supposed to partner with him for the physical tests.

----------
"We're put in pairs to pace each other. How will I know how I'm doing?"
"Oh, don't feel you have to keep up with me," Miles purred.
Kostolitz's brows lowered with annoyance.
----------

It's so perfect. Miles shows his trademark of turning the world upside down. Kostolitz was only one of so many that Miles annoyed in this manner. I think that's half the fun of these books; Miles unique way of looking at the world.

message 6: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments I hadn't intended to reread this book, but another I started was a dud (The Flaxen Femme Fatale, if anyone's keeping score) so I grabbed this. I liked that line about "You mean he's like this all the time?" but it's the pun about the green drink that got me laughing: Miles has just collapsed and Mayhew says, "His creme de meth just wore off."

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3111 comments Mod
Ron wrote: "Miles has just collapsed and Mayhew says, "His creme de meth just wore off."
That was my laugh-out-loud moment, too!