The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge discussion

Member Progress > Stephanie's Crazed Attempt at the ML List Continues

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 10, 2009 07:34AM) (new)

Stephanie The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder The Bridge of San Luis Rey
I read this one right away, and it took a very short period of time to read the interwoven stories. I should NOT have read this before bed because I feel like I missed certain aspects of the story. I think this book warrants a reread, but my initial thoughts are that I didn't find it that enjoyable. Enjoying a book is REALLY what I am looking for right now.

Two stars.

ACCOMPLISHED

message 2: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 08, 2009 04:08PM) (new)

Stephanie Dune by Frank Herbert Dune
I am currently reading this one, and since my fellow members are encouraging me to keep going, I am plugging along a little each night. I have to admit, I am mostly skimming, but once I started looking past all of the hard-core sci-fi stuff I found a potentially interesting story. I think I will finish it.

8/20: No, I will not finish it. It feels like homework. I keep picking up every other library book I have at home instead of this one. I gave it 100 pages and I just can't do it. I am going to get an early start on the September books.

FAILED

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 10, 2009 07:34AM) (new)

Stephanie Shane by Jack Schaefer Shane

I started reading this one yesterday, and I am very happy to have an illustrated copy on hand. It has been a long time since I have read a book with illustrations...why do authors think that adult lit doesn't need imagery? I have been wanting to see the movie for some time, so once I finish the book this week, I plan on getting it through Netflix. I think this is going to be a good western with an interesting family and a strong hero. I am excited to see where the story leads, because right now I have no idea. (Shane has just stayed with the family, so I am only about 20 pages in.)

I am really liking the story - this is just a FUN book to read. I am still not too far into the plot, but the part I am at is really good...Bob and his father just had the conversation about Shane. It sparked my interest in figuring out what Shane is up to/all about.

Done! The story of Shane is a simple tale set in the great American west, with a very badass protagonist. He was badass. No other way to put it. The story is simple, the character of Shane is unforgettable, and the scene where the Mr. Starrett and Shane remove the stump together is great.

Three stars.

ACCOMPLISHED

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 19, 2009 08:05PM) (new)

Stephanie Winesburg, Ohio (Oxford World's Classics) by Sherwood Anderson Winesburg, Ohio

September 14: I just started this book and I yawn myself into a state of semi-conciousness each time I pick it up. So far, I am not interested in any of the characters, but will keep reading to see how the parts affect the whole (if at all). Literary Nyquil thus far.

I can't do it. This book is like Dune, but not sci-fi. I don't even want to see it sitting on my shelf anymore.

FAILED Even though I still have time to read it, it's not going to happen!

message 5: by Stephanie (last edited Sep 23, 2009 11:45AM) (new)

Stephanie [image error] Something Wicked This Way Comes

I just read this one in the past year so I am not going to reread it. The book is incredibly disturbing, and I vividly remember watching the movie in 7th grade Honors English. It terrified me! My sister and I watched the movie again this summer (thank you Netflix) and while it didn't have the SAME kind of terror as it did the first time, it was still incredible bizarre and eerie. There is nothing more horrifying than a creepy carnival and music which turns out to be the death march backwards. I get chills just thinking of it. Light and dark, good and evil...there is symbolism all over the place, even in the names of the two main characters.

Make sure you look for religious symbolism as you read...and the title is from a famous Shakespearean play. :)

Three and a half stars.
ACCOMPLISHED

message 6: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 02, 2009 08:10AM) (new)

Stephanie The Haunting of Hill House (Penguin Classics) by Shirley Jackson The Haunting of Hill House

I read this book several years ago, but I enjoyed it much more on its second reading. I particularly enjoyed this edition with its fantastic introduction. The story is what I would describe as "literary creepy" - this is not King, or Saul, or Koontz. Jackson writes beautifully with enough psychology in her stories to allow me to compare to her Henry James (The Turn of the Screw), even though I found this MUCH easier to read and MUCH more interesting. Eleanor, the main character in this story (or maybe the HOUSE is the main character), is pathetic in her own way - she has no one, feels like no one, and belongs nowhere. You feel sorry for her throughout the entire book while becoming increasingly embarrassed for her. I like that Jackson leaves most of the book to the imagination of the reader. I will be going back to view the b&w film version of this book, but will be skipping the 90s version, which was fun at the time (I was a teen) but now see steered FAR from the actual novel. This book is a fantastic fall read and a great start into Jackson's lit. Disturbing and creepy, Hill House will stay with you for quite some time.
Journeys end in lovers meeting.

4 stars initial reading several years ago
4.5 stars now

ACCOMPLISHED

message 7: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 03, 2009 06:20PM) (new)

Stephanie 1984 by George Orwell 1984

4 stars
ACCOMPLISHED

message 8: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 03, 2009 06:20PM) (new)

Stephanie The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood The Handmaid's Tale

4.5 stars
ACCOMPLISHED

message 9: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 03, 2009 06:21PM) (new)

Stephanie Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451

I read this one for the second time and liked it just as much. Bradbury is an interesting writer, that's for sure.

4 stars

ACCOMPLISHED

message 10: by Stephanie (last edited Jan 01, 2010 02:07PM) (new)

Stephanie Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) by Orson Scott Card Ender's Game

I liked the character of Ender, but I think my male freshmen students would like this book more than me. Still not a sci-fi fan, but it was better than Dune.

3 stars

ACCOMPLISHED

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving A Prayer for Owen Meany

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird

This is one of my all-time favorites and one of the few books I have read repeatedly. The movie is equally as fantastic. A MUST for everyone, and it is too bad that most high schools make this required reading for ninth graders...I think older students would appreciate it more.

5 stars

ACCOMPLISHED

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Watership Down by Richard Adams Watership Down

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf To the Lighthouse

I loathe this book. I don't think I will be reading it again.

2 stars for style and symbolism

ACCOMPLISHED

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Slaughterhouse-Five

Kurt Vonnegut...you either love him or hate him. I do not love him.

1 star

ACCOMPLISHED

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie On the Beach by Nevil Shute On the Beach

3 stars

ACCOMPLISHED

message 17: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton The House of Mirth

4 stars

ACCOMPLISHED (back in college, but want to come back and read this one again!)

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow Ragtime

4 stars

ACCOMPLISHED

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway The Sun Also Rises

NEEDS TO BE READ AGAIN

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever The Wapshot Chronicle

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A Passage to India (Penguin Classics) by E.M. Forster A Passage to India

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Fellowship of the Ring

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Deliverance by James Dickey Deliverance

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett The Maltese Falcon

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell Gone with the Wind

message 26: by Stephanie (last edited Jun 28, 2010 11:20AM) (new)

Stephanie Animal Farm by George Orwell Animal Farm

This book terrifies me. Watching The Manor Farm turn into Animal Farm with its warped politics mirroring Stalin's Soviet Union is so, so disturbing. Using animals to tell the story is brilliant, and the final scene just stays with you.

5 stars

ACCOMPLISHED

message 27: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner Angle of Repose