What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Devil's Teardrop
This topic is about The Devil's Teardrop
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 90s or 2000s crime fiction with a graphologist or forensic profiler analysing a letter written by a criminal. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments I read this sometime between 1998-2005. It was quite new when I read it.

It was a crime novel, but all I remember about the plot is that early in the novel someone received a letter from a criminal, maybe a murderer. Then there were some chapters from the perspective of either a graphologist or forensic profiler type person, who had been asked to analyse the letter and look for any clues about the writer based on the handwriting, use of language etc.

I seem to remember one of the clues was that the letter writer had included some deliberate mistakes, e.g. they had tried to make it seem as if they were a non-native English speaker by using certain words deliberately incorrectly, but because the mistakes were inconsistent it was likely they were faking it.

Unfortunately, I don't remember anything else about the plot from that point onwards. I don't think the graphologist was a main character in the story - it was mainly told from the POV of a detective, who contacted the graphologist for help.

I also remember thinking it was quite simplistic in the way it was written. Pretty sure it was a book for adults but I read it in my teens and picked out most of the weird details about the letter myself.

Anyway sorry I don't have more info but would appreciate any help!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda | 25 comments Could it be The Devil's Teardrop (by Jeffery Deaver)?

Kell I Am | 187 comments That is what I had been thinking ( The Devil's Teardrop) but that wasn't really "simplistic" writing. Worth a shot though.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks for the suggestion, this does look vaguely familiar but it's been a long time since I read it. I'll see if I can get hold of a copy to confirm.

message 5: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period/location story takes place?

Was the detective male or female?

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments I'm now pretty sure that The Devil's Teardrop is the right book, so moving to Solved. Thanks for your help everyone!