The Silk Roads: A New History of the World The Silk Roads question

Is it worth reading? Thoughts?
Zahra Zahra Aug 23, 2018 11:58PM
I'm a sociology student in university, currently looking for books to give me some insight into ancient history, anthropology, and political sociology. I found Harari's Sapiens fascinating and would appreciate more books like that. Give me your opinions, recommendations, anything relevant. Peace ✌️ Sapiens A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

'The Silk Roads: The New History of the World' by Peter Frankopan can give you insight into ancient history, anthropology and political ideology. I would love to recommend it.

better than sapiens

If you aren't familiar with world history, yes, it's a good read. But if you're familiar with world history already, you'll feel like you know most of the stuff and you should've spent the money on another book. (Also, in case you didn't know, Better World Books donates a book whenever you buy one from them.)

Absolutely worth it. Great narrative/historical read and engaging with even the most dense of facts. Highly recommend.

deleted member (last edited Apr 29, 2019 05:49PM ) Apr 29, 2019 05:48PM   0 votes
A great book for insight. This book managed to make me sit up and pay attention as well as change the way I think about the world today. After nearly 50 years of reading about both ends of the silk roads as if they were disconnected, I have a much wider and I suspect more sensible viewpoint as a result of this well written book.

U 25x33
Adrienne Hamilton Agree - found this a well researched and good read
May 20, 2019 04:57PM

yes, it's a fine book to read but ometimes a little bit shallow. I personally prefer "a splenddid exchange" which gives far deeper insights about why and how the trade routes are shaped like they did.
A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World from Prehistory to Today

Yes, it is worth reading. A wonderful insight of the history of world from a different perspective; especially if you are used to consuming history from western history books. Additionally, I personally think it is relevant to what is happening in Asia and in the Middle East at the moment and shows how this balance of power is shifting, again, towards east. Hope you enjoy it!

I found this book very interesting. I am also a big fan of Sapiens, so appears we have some similar interests.

Grabbed this book at Mumbai airport randomly. It wasn't fascinating for me. Nothing interesting about China where the road started. Almost zero about India which was part of the road. Yep if you are interested to know about middle eastern to europe and good knowledge about all the crusades happened.

Yes it is well worth reading!

This is a great book. It really opened my eyes to lots of things about world history which I didn't know - the importance of slavery in the rise of the Italian states and what was really going on during WW1 and since in the middle east. I read it twice, once on audio and once on Kindle. It's dense but very interesting.

I definitely thought it was worth the time and effort.

N Apr 18, 2019 01:38PM   0 votes
Yes, it's worth reading, to get a different perspective on history. Like he says something like People thought Europe was the centre of the world - or that's when history started. But it wasn't, it was on the periphery for a very long time before that.