SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Argh can’t remember the title!!!!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard F (richard_fox) | 2 comments Ok I read this book a few years ago and now I can’t remember the title. A starship is taking colonists to a far away system. Some kind of disaster happens. The story opens with the main character in a corridor with no idea where he is, who he is. He is freezing cold. He struggles to survive, meets literal monsters also traversing the corridors. He meets a few other humans and gradually begins to piece together that he has been alive before in this place but has been killed every time. The corridors are deadly. They explore, trying to figure out what is going on.

As the story unfolds, he discovers that he is on a starship and something has gone wrong. The ship has split. The ship carried the ability to combine DNA into any form in order to subjugate any alien conditions or life they may find. This ability now has intelligence and intent (called “mother”?) which is trying to call him back to her, he is somehow the key. She keeps reincarnating him. She is creating the monsters out of the DNA soup that she controls. He meets her and when she finds out that she can’t control him she tries to kill him.

He and the band of survivors eventually make it to the control room where they find that a group of survivors from the original crew is fighting mother for control of the damaged ship.

This is about as much detail as I can remember. Awesome book. Is this plot ringing a bell for anyone?

Thanks!
Richard

message 2: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1436 comments Sounds like Greg Bear's Hull Zero Three

message 3: by Karin (last edited Aug 24, 2018 03:00PM) (new)

Karin | 773 comments Richard wrote: "Ok I read this book a few years ago and now I can’t remember the title. A starship is taking colonists to a far away system. Some kind of disaster happens. The story opens with the main character i..."

Oh, I just read one a lot like this not long ago! ETA--well, perhaps it was 2 years ago or more because I'm still not seeing it as I go page by page. It wasn't Hull Zero Three because I have never read that one and apparently I didn't go through the shelving process because it's not in my 32 books under Science Fiction (I read more than 32 scifi books when I was a teen.)

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah Sisk (micahrsisk) | 1436 comments Its definitely Hull Zero Three. This is a quote from a gizmodo review:

Even more disturbing, he may not be the first gingerbread man called Teacher to pop out of Ship's oven. Like it or not, he sets off on a half-baked quest to find what passes for control and command on Ship. He has a handful of companions whose loyalty is as dubious as his own memory. Every step of Teacher's journey shadowed by powerful on-board forces known as Ship Control, Destination Guidance, and the ominously named Mother.

message 5: by Leticia (last edited Aug 26, 2018 05:07AM) (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) A question and this is probably difficult to answer, I remember a book about a woman painter who had to go to France as part as the entourage of an English princess who was going to marry the king there. It's historical fiction. Has anyone read it?

message 6: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Hull Zero Three sounds intriguing, on my tbr list now!

The plot reminds me a little of the film Cargo, I think the name was...

message 7: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4627 comments Leticia wrote: "A question and this is probably difficult to answer, I remember a book about a woman painter who had to go to France as part as the entourage of an English princess who was going to marry the king ..."

You might try asking in a Romance forum instead of a SciFi & Fantasy forum. People there are more likely to know

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith | 331 comments Leticia wrote: "A question and this is probably difficult to answer, I remember a book about a woman painter who had to go to France as part as the entourage of an English princess who was going to marry the king ..."

Try asking in this group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...