What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Fairy tale compendium beginning with a poem

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Black (melissa_black) Hi
I'm not actually looking for a book I read, but my father told me he read it as a child and really loved it, but he can't remember much about it.
It was a collection of fairy tales and it apparently began with the following poem: "the fairies come and play with me/ but only if I'm good/ we have a secret meeting place/ it's in the hazel wood".
My father would have probably read the book in the mid to late 60's. in Yorkshire, England.
I have already tried to google the quote and looked at numerous poems by W.B Yeats, Rose Fyleman and some others, but found nothing.
I would really appreciate your help, as this book was very special to my father. I will continue to do some research myself, but in the mean time, I really hope someone can help.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Sep 14, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

Kris | 36613 comments Mod
Sorry I don't have a specific suggestion. Have you tried searching www.worldcat.org? It's great for older children's books. For example:

http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch > Subject: fairy tales | Keyword: england | 1940-1972 ? | Juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

Are there famous fairy tales in this collection? About how long is this book?

Can you describe the illustrations - e.g., realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, sunny/dark/muted colors/black & white? Similar to another illustrator or picture book author?

message 3: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Did you find anything using those parameters, Kris?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Melissa left the group. Moving to Abandoned.