the writing spot discussion

writings > ask for help

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Breanne (new)

Breanne (breegreen_books) | 37 comments Mod
If you are trying to recover from severe writers block or perhaps just feel uninspired, this is the place to ask for help from fellow readers and writers!

message 2: by Phaedrisa (new)

Phaedrisa There's an app called fighter's block. Basically, type in how many words you want to type and youre avatar fights monsters. each word is a hit and once your word count is reached the monster dies. A productive fight to the death against the clock.

message 3: by Breanne (new)

Lady_Starkov wrote: "There's an app called fighter's block. Basically, type in how many words you want to type and youre avatar fights monsters. each word is a hit and once your word count is reached the monster dies. ..."

this is amazing! i've never heard of this but it definitely sounds motivating!!

message 4: by Breanne (new)

personally i love setting a timer and writing for that set amount of time. whether it's 10 minutes or 30 minutes, it's always super helpful!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ve definitely been struggling with writers block but I recently watched a video by Polandbananabooks and she said she basically forces herself to write an hour each day at least so might try that out :)

message 6: by Breanne (new)

Uzma wrote: "I’ve definitely been struggling with writers block but I recently watched a video by Polandbananabooks and she said she basically forces herself to write an hour each day at least so might try that..."

yeah i saw that too!! it sounded so useful so i'm also gonna try it!! that video was full of good tips!

message 7: by Mylien (new)

Mylien Lai | 153 comments Mod
For all writers who need help, here's a link to the PolandBananaBooks's video that could help the rest of you like Breanne and Uzma from the comments above me.

https://youtu.be/l9SDnYNzGms

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie My problem is that I lack in self-confidence in my writing skills. Every time I re-read what I wrote, I feel like it’s lame.

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 99 comments Mod
Do you like it while you write it but then don't like it once you go back and re read it? Seeing as you can always go back and fix things later on.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie While I’m writing it I find it okay and it’s when I re-read it for editing that I find it lame and ask myself « Did I write such thing? ».

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood (cassiecrow) | 99 comments Mod
Maybe you could try lighting candles or something while you write, or listen to music really low. Or go out an find something that inspires you before you start writing. Seeing as I find that helps sometimes if I'm in a slump of 'really? did I just write that?'. It doesn't always work but it does help sometimes. Plus the more you write no matter how good it is now it's still helping you to get better.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie Maybe I should try writing somewhere else. I’ve never tried it but it could help. Thanks :-) I already light scented candles since I love these and sometimes listen to music ;-)

message 13: by A. Zaykova (new)

A. Zaykova  (azaykova) | 19 comments Hi all! I'm working on a first novel and a bit confused with naming conventions/punctuation for names of places and things: in my case mainly names of planets, names of spaceships and names of bars :-D

Do I simply capitalise, italicise, quotes? Appreciate any wisdom!

message 14: by Mylien (new)

Alla wrote: "Hi all! I'm working on a first novel and a bit confused with naming conventions/punctuation for names of places and things: in my case mainly names of planets, names of spaceships and names of bars..."

I'm not an expert, but I do think that you italicise.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie Browner | 5 comments Hey! I'm working on my first novel, and I'm struggling to find places to get feedback on my writing style (to see if it's complete BS or not!)

Any leads appreciated!

message 16: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments What does BS?
Sorry I'm not very good with acronyms.

message 17: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I meant to say, what does BS mean?

message 18: by Phaedrisa (last edited Sep 28, 2018 10:11PM) (new)

Phaedrisa BS is bullshit

betabooks is a site that you can upload to and see feedback from readers

message 19: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Oh.

message 20: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments That's probably why I did not no what it meant.😄

message 21: by Katie (new)

Katie Browner | 5 comments Thanks, Lady_Starkov!

message 22: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I am trying to figure out how to start my book!
It's the first book I am going to get published and I want the readers to be holding their breath and turning the pages.

message 23: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments But should I start with the main Character's background tragic story or with her talking about why she is what she is?

message 24: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I can't give away to much information.
But her tragic story is that her mom aka the best illusionist in the world dies doing a trick in front of a crowd or should I have the character explain the two sides in the book (illusionists) and (magicians)?

message 25: by Mylien (new)

Karsyn wrote: "I can't give away to much information.
But her tragic story is that her mom aka the best illusionist in the world dies doing a trick in front of a crowd or should I have the character explain the t..."

Is it possible to do a mix of both?

message 26: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments That is a really good idea! Thank you!!

message 27: by Mylien (new)

Karsyn wrote: "That is a really good idea! Thank you!!"

No problem!!

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie Browner | 5 comments Betabooks was a good suggestion, but without their paid service, it's kind of hard to find beta readers. I did manage to get a little feedback though, so we can start from there.

message 29: by Mylien (new)

Katie wrote: "Betabooks was a good suggestion, but without their paid service, it's kind of hard to find beta readers. I did manage to get a little feedback though, so we can start from there."

That's great to hear that you got a little feedback. Have you got in touch with the reader yet?

How do you guys come up with names for main charters? If they just don't come to you that is.

message 31: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments If you have (Instagram,Facebook,Twitter,etc) then just ask people that if they want to be in your book, go ahead and send in the names! Once you get enough then just mix them up. And if you don't have anything like that,then look up baby names or crazy last names then do the same thing and mix it up!!

message 32: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I hope that answered your question Cassie!
And another thing would be to write down letters that are not usually initials and start with those, if that makes any sense.

message 34: by A. Zaykova (new)

A. Zaykova  (azaykova) | 19 comments I feel like I got character name inspirations from baby name articles I read when I was preggo

message 35: by A. Zaykova (new)

A. Zaykova  (azaykova) | 19 comments Hi guys

Hi guys

I’m stuck on a particular subplot in the middle of my novel… it’s a light-hearted space-opera.

The chapter I’m stuck on is basically a backstory of how two characters met and became friends.

What’s I have in there that I can’t change is:

A female human protagonist (after some misadventures) settles in a new place, gets a boring job in a large tech company (IT/AI department), meets a co-worker who is a spaceship mechanic (also he’s a non-humanoid, an alien). They become friends, both get fired (I imagine for helping a client whom the company refused to help), and then start a business together, which involves servicing spaceships.

This is just a small chapter but I need to fluff it out with some adventure that would show how they met and why they became good friends. Like maybe they decided to build a flyer and crashed it together or something… I don’t know. It needs to show they’ve been through something together as it’s important for what happens next (he ends up agreeing to help her with a particular crazy life-threatening plan, so there needs to be emotional buy-in). It’s just the what brought them together part...

message 36: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments What if the girl(protagonist) is staring at blueprints she drew, while walking down a hall. The boy turns a corner to fast ,they collide with each other and she drops the papers. He sees them picks them up says he's sorry, and admires her work. He then asks what she's planning on doing with the blueprints, and she says something like "my plan is to build it some day."
"Some day,why not now?" He asked curiously .
"Well of course not now, I don't have the equipment or the permission."
That could be her response and then he offers to help, because he has the equipment and the know how. They still don't have permission, but go ahead and build it anyway. The start of an adventure!
I truly hope this helped.

message 37: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I use name generators for my characters. For feedback I have used Young Writers Online.

message 38: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Do you have to be invited to vote on the poll for prompts?

message 39: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Nevermind!! :-D

message 40: by A. Zaykova (new)

A. Zaykova  (azaykova) | 19 comments Thanks Karsyn! That might kind of work, especially if the roles are reversed i.e. the alien wants to build something, and she helps him

message 41: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Happy to help!

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Katie ✨ wrote: "My problem is that I lack in self-confidence in my writing skills. Every time I re-read what I wrote, I feel like it’s lame."

First drafts are never good, even master authors don't write amazing first drafts. And even if it sucks that's why there's editing and rewriting. It's more important to write so you can get better :)

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) Cassie 'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood wrote: "How do you guys come up with names for main charters? If they just don't come to you that is."

I name them whatever pops into my head or I'll take a name from mythology and modify it. When I'm thinking of names for more contemporary stories I just pick random ones that seem to suit the story

message 44: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Hey guys, I need help with my book. In the book there is a really strong friendship between a boy and a girl, but I don't want it to seem like it is romance. I know they're just friends but how do I make sure the audience knows that?

message 45: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Because this is a YA book with no romance!!

message 46: by Deepthi (new)

Deepthi (d-star) | 102 comments Where are you planning to publish your book, Karsyn? Online or hardcopy/paperback, whatever?

message 47: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Hopefully all three!

message 48: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I first need an agent. When I went to TTBF a lot of best selling authors were there including two of my favorites Marissa Meyer and Neal / Jarod Shusterman. Anyways all the authors there said to "get an agent first it is one of the best things you can do" so that is what I am going to do after I write my book.

message 49: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments Also my friends agreed to help me film a book trailer, and I'm writing the song for the trailer!

message 50: by Shae (new)

Shae West (karsynshae) | 220 comments I am to a part in my book with the two friends, and I still need help. :-(

« previous 1