Christian Books discussion

General > Keep the Sabbath - The Apostles Gave No Such Command!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 142 comments Acts 15:24 - "Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, SAYING, YE MUST be circumcised, AND KEEP THE LAW : to whom WE GAVE NO SUCH COMMANDMENT :"

Can anyone quote any apostle telling anyone that they must keep the Sabbath?

message 2: by Robert A. L. (new)

Robert A. L. (goodreadscomrobert_a_l_blake) | 5 comments No, only what God originally established in Genesis 2:2,3, reemphasized in Exodus 20:8-11, and never gave instruction to change it.

message 3: by Robert (last edited Sep 02, 2018 03:41PM) (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 142 comments Read Col. 2:16-17
Jesus is the fulfillment of the Sabbath

Colossians 2:16-17

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day .

17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality , however, is found in Christ .

message 4: by Robert A. L. (new)

Robert A. L. (goodreadscomrobert_a_l_blake) | 5 comments The Sabbath acknowledges God as Creator. Jesus kept the Sabbath and the apostles continued to even after Christ’s ascension.

“For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭4:3-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭14:6-7‬ ‭KJV‬‬
http://bible.com/1/rev.14.6-7.kjv

message 5: by Robert A. L. (new)

Robert A. L. (goodreadscomrobert_a_l_blake) | 5 comments The Sabbath days referred to in Colossians pertains to religious feasts, which yes were fulfilled in Christ.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 142 comments Nope...Col 2 speaks of Sabbath days AND religious Feasts... two different things.

I don't understand why people reject Jesus...SAD

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 142 comments Not one person in the NT ever told anyone specifically that they must "keep the Sabbath".

As a matter of fact, this is God's definition of "keeping His commandments"...

1 John 3:22-23

22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.