Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Theological Questions > Keep the Sabbath - The Apostles Gave No Such Command!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Acts 15:24 - "Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, SAYING, YE MUST be circumcised, AND KEEP THE LAW : to whom WE GAVE NO SUCH COMMANDMENT :"

Can anyone quote any apostle telling anyone that they must keep the Sabbath?

message 2: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments No, they cannot

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Wade wrote: "No, they cannot"

:-)

I know.

message 4: by Wade (new)

Wade J. | 177 comments They’ll try to say “not one not or tittle”

message 5: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Rg | 17 comments Perhaps the apostles thought it improper to give commands

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Timothy wrote: "Perhaps the apostles thought it improper to give commands"

My response: Jesus never gave any such command either.

2 Peter 3:2 - "That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:"

Since the apostles taught and held people accountable to many doctrines... it is impossible to imagine them timidly avoiding such an important one (if it is as important as some claim).

message 7: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Rg | 17 comments You know what, Dallman, you're right

Borderline personality disorder does not take a Sabbath

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Jesus is my Sabbath
Why do you reject Jesus?

message 9: by G. (new)

G. Julian | 91 comments Observing the Sabbath is one of the 10 Commandments of El Shaddai. However, the Laws of Moses perverted it and that's why Jesus had to proclaim himself Lord of the Sabbath. Am I right ?

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments G. wrote: "Observing the Sabbath is one of the 10 Commandments of El Shaddai. However, the Laws of Moses perverted it and that's why Jesus had to proclaim himself Lord of the Sabbath. Am I right ?"

The way I see it, the Law of Moses foreshadowed the coming of Jesus... and Jesus fulfilled that which was foreshadowed (and is still fulfilling some aspects of the law and the prophets today.)

message 11: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Rg | 17 comments Robert wrote: "Jesus is my Sabbath
Why do you reject Jesus?"

That's a great conversation starter. I aim to accept Jesus. How about you?

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Timothy wrote: "That's a great conversation starter. I aim to accept Jesus. How about you? "

My response: I accept Jesus... the REALITY of the foreshadowing of the Sabbath. Do you?

Colossians 2:16-17

(16) Therefore DO NOT LET ANYONE JUDGE YOU BY what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a SABBATH DAY .

(17) THESE ARE A SHADOW of the things that were to come; THE REALITY, however, IS FOUND IN CHRIST."

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments So, do you embrace Jesus as the fulfillment of the Sabbath? Or do you still seek your rest in the SHADOW and reject the REALITY?