Reading with E. discussion

The Little Sisters of Eluria
This topic is about The Little Sisters of Eluria
"The Little Sisters of Eluria" group read!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Edward Lorn | 335 comments Mod
After we finish THE GUNSLINGER were going back to the beginning and meeting the Little Sister of Eluria. Saddle up! Group read begins 8/21/2018! (Some have already started and that's okay 😊)

Dustin (dedzed) | 20 comments gah! Gotta hurry up and finish The Gunslinger. Got sidetracked for a few days.

message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 9 comments Sounds good!

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments I'm afraid to saddle up. All the mules and horses keep going belly up, lol.

Lol Wayne, this is true.

Dustin, take your time. Last thing I want anyone to do is rush through these.

Cody | CodysBookshelf (codylovesbooks) | 6 comments I have never been a fan of this story. I’m going to push through and finish today.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 9 comments Cody, it's my first time reading it and it was pretty easy to put it aside for a few. So far it's just meh (for lack of a better word)

Not a great read, no, but impprtant later on in the read through.

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 9 comments I'm interested to see how it ties in. Probably an AHA moment in my future. I haven't read the series before with this one included.

I think the big tie in is either in WOLVES or SONG. I can't remember which. It's small, but its a fun connection. :)

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris Austin | 38 comments I enjoyed this short story. It definitely fit Roland's luck with love.

Ha! That it did, Mark!

Finally started and posted the video for the group read. I read the first chapter and something struck me. This one is written in the same stilted way as THE GUNSLINGER, which makes sense, given the timeline. No wonder I've never cared much for it.

Sarah (is only writing short reviews for now) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments Edward wrote: "Finally started and posted the video for the group read. I read the first chapter and something struck me. This one is written in the same stilted way as THE GUNSLINGER, which makes sense, given th..."

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was tons better than The Gunslinger and will give it four stars when I get around to rating and reviewing it.

message 16: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Dawson | 26 comments I just finished. It was ok. I think King had more pages than story though. If it had been a little shorter the experience might have been more enjoyable. Now back to the main story.

I agree, Shawn. Far too little story. I'll be done with this by Tuesday, and then on to THE DRAWING OF THE THREE! 😁

Dustin (dedzed) | 20 comments Shawn wrote: "I just finished. It was ok. I think King had more pages than story though. If it had been a little shorter the experience might have been more enjoyable. Now back to the main story."

I feel very similarly. There were a couple of elements I liked. I'm a sucker for a ghost town for some reason. The idea of being in a place that should be populated, but is empty, is a creepy one, so I enjoyed the beginning of the story. I liked the imagery of the pavilion, but not much else to recommend here. The fact that the story exists, pretty much only because of a publishing obligation, and not because it adds anything to The Dark Tower saga, shows.

I just finished. The story does have some DT lore significance come book six, but we'll talk about the that when we get there. I should be starting THE DRAWING OF THE THREE by Friday, I would hope.

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments I'm one of those who didn't care for this one. Roland seemed weak. He not only let his guard down like an amateur, but the only reason he survived was because of sheer luck. Some might say it was Ka... maybe, but I think it was dumb luck.

I agree, Wayne, Roland was terrible in this one. If it wasn't for the hard connect to Tak in DESPERATION I wouldn't bother adding it to this universe.

Sarah (is only writing short reviews for now) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments I guessed this would be unpopular, but didn't think I'd be the only one who actually enjoyed it.

You haven't finished the series yet, Sarah. Your opinion of this little story might very well change come the ending of the final book. But we'll discuss when we get there.

Sarah (is only writing short reviews for now) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments Oookay, that's interesting to hear. I am highly curious as to what the last book might reveal that would change my opinion of this story.

Dustin (dedzed) | 20 comments Sarah wrote: "I guessed this would be unpopular, but didn't think I'd be the only one who actually enjoyed it."

I didn't hate it. I thought it was so-so. There were a few elements I liked, but overall I felt like it just didn't need to exist.

I agree with it not needing to exist, Dustin.

Sarah, this story really makes no sense if you've completed the series. Again, we'll talk about that when we're done. It's one of my biggest complaints about the story but it's a massive spoiler for the series.

Sarah (is only writing short reviews for now) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments When I said I was curious I meant that I was looking forward to continuing with the series and finding out as I read, I wasn't asking you to tell me because I don't want spoilers.

Sorry. Usually you say you don't mind the spoilers so I assumed you were asking. 😁

Sarah (is only writing short reviews for now) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments Edward wrote: "Sorry. Usually you say you don't mind the spoilers so I assumed you were asking. 😁"

I'm complicated 🤷

When I'm listening I can listen with 'half an ear' and quickly forget what was said only minutes earlier, when I'm reading I rarely forget what I've seen. So I can watch your Thursday Theorists and forget most, if not all of the spoilers without any effort (in fact the only spoiler I haven't forgotten was the big one from The Tommyknockers). I watched your So Lucky review yesterday and already I don't even remember if you liked it, or not. Whereas if I'd read the review there's a good chance I'd be able to remember parts of it word for word.

Ha! You sound like me. I forget shit I hear all the damn time. But if I read it? It's there for life.