Play Book Tag discussion

Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
This topic is about Shards of Honour
Archive: Other Books > Listopia Shards of Honour by Lois MacMaster Bujold - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Book #3/6 from Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...
Listopia Challenge

Shards of Honour by Lois MacMaster Bujold ★★★★

Space Opera! I have finally gotten around to reading this book starting this series after hearing so many positive reviews. Shards of Honour is Lois McMaster Bujold's first complete book... and it is incredible. It has everything! Action, romance, humour, intrigue, space battles, moral struggles, politics, betrayal, rescue, heroines/heroes, villains, consequences, coherently described fantastic future tech, and flying vampire jellyfish! I cannot believe that this was her first book!

Cordelia Naismith is exploring an isolated planet with her scientific survey team when her team is caught up in intrigue and infighting among soldiers from the warlike society of Barrayar. Aral Vorkosigan is the commander of the Barrayar ship that is currently attempting to mutiny. They must combine forces to survive the unexplored planet, and reunite with their crews.

Cordelia greatly values human life, and is smart, strong, determined, and from Beta (a planet with an advanced society). Aral is loyal, a strong leader, unapologetically moral, and from Barrayar (a planet with an ambitious, militaristic expansionist society). They suit each other perfectly. The world building is effective without burying you in detail. The action scenes are violent, but not gratuitously detailed. Characters are written not to be perfect, but to be realistic and nuanced, with diverse personalities. Betans are not all without ambition and duplicity, and Barrayans are not all ruthless and oppressive. Everything is balanced perfectly.

From the start I was captured, really invested in the characters and the story. Now I want to read the rest of the series. I can also see myself re-reading this regularly. The only reason I rated the book 4 stars is that sometimes the pacing got a little jerky, and I wanted more time spent on some parts of the story. Who knows, I might change it to 5 stars after my first re-read.

annapi | 5154 comments I've been meaning to read Bujold since I first started reading sci-fi back in my teens, but have somehow never gotten around to it. Your review has sparked my interest once again, and maybe this time I'll actually do it...

Karin | 7463 comments This is a well beloved series. I made the mistake of starting with a prequel that I liked better (written later), so only read that, this one and the second in this series. I first head about it from an old college friend I got in touch with a few years ago after a long break (we moved so far apart and it was before most people were communicating online plus she's not good at long distance communication) as it's one of her favourite book series.

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1152 comments One of my favorite space opera books. It started me on the genre as well as the series.

KateNZ | 2666 comments Bujold is brilliant - and the books get better and better. There aren’t many where the standard drops at all