The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 30.6 - Amanda A's task: The Game of Clue

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2018 03:06PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5340 comments Mod
30.6 - Amanda A's task: The Game of Clue

Clue was one of my favorite games growing up and I have recently enjoyed playing the updated US versions of the game with my two youngest nieces. The object of the game is to determine who murdered Mr. Boddy, which weapon was used, and where the crime took place.

Please choose two different options and read a book for each.
REQUIRED: State which options you used when you post.

Option 1: Suspects
There are six suspects in the game. A new suspect, Dr. Orchid, was introduced in 2016, replacing Mrs. White. We play both versions of the game, so I am including Dr. Orchid and Mrs. White in this task.

Read a book with a suspect's game piece color found in the title or predominantly on the cover (at least 50% according to TinEye). To extract colors in TinEye, use the picture on the book's main page (as-is, not enlarged) and uncheck the box that says "exclude background color from extracted colors," if it is checked.
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

Mr. Green - Green
Colonel Mustard - Yellow
Dr. Orchid - Pink
Mrs. Peacock - Blue
Professor Plum - Purple
Miss Scarlet - Red
Mrs. White - White

Option 2: Weapons
Read a book with one of the weapons found in the title or on the cover. Plurals and possessives are allowed but no other variations. REQUIRED: If using the cover option, include the cover in your post.

Candlestick
Knife
Lead Pipe
Revolver
Rope
Wrench

Option 3: Rooms
In the updated US versions of the game, there is a two-sided board with the mansion on one side and the boardwalk on the other side. We usually play the mansion side, so this task only includes the nine mansion rooms.

Read a book by an author whose first and last name initials appear in one of the rooms listed below. Letters may only be used as often as they appear. Middle name initials may be ignored. REQUIRED: State which room was used when you post.

Ballroom
Billiard Room
Conservatory
Dining Room
Hall
Kitchen
Library
Lounge
Study

message 2: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments .

message 3: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments .

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5340 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2746 comments Hi would Snap by Belinda Bauer work for option 2 i think that is rope

message 6: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Marie (UK) wrote: "Hi would Snap by Belinda Bauer work for option 2 i think that is rope"

Hi Marie, that works.

message 7: by Pia (last edited Aug 22, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Hi, this looks like a rope on the cover?

Dead Calm by Inge Löhnig

Does it work? If not, maybe I can use it for Option 1, white cover?

message 8: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Pia wrote: "Hi, this looks like a rope on the cover?

Dead Calm by Inge Löhnig

Does it work? If not, maybe I can use it for Option 1, white cover?"

Hi Pia, that works for rope on the cover.

message 9: by Laure (new)

Laure (goodreadscomlaure) | 508 comments Hi!
Would this work as a 'green' cover for option 1? It looks to me as over 50 per cent green, but I would like to check with you. :)
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8) by Jim Butcher by Jim Butcher

message 10: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Laure wrote: "Hi!
Would this work as a 'green' cover for option 1? It looks to me as over 50 per cent green, but I would like to check with you. :)
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8) by Jim Butcher by Jim Butcher"

Hi Laure! Sorry, this book is only 25.5% green according to TinEye. It looks like Dresden's black coat and hat take up a good bit of the cover.

message 11: by Book Concierge (last edited Aug 29, 2018 07:39AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Seeking approval for GREEN cover
Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns

Per TinEye - 53.6% total is GREEN
#ededd9 34.2 % Orchid White (White)
#b1b292 28.3 % Eagle (Green)
#9eac9c 10.8 % Tower Grey (Green)
#81b3b2 7.0 % Ziggurat (Blue)
#757d68 4.3 % Camouflage Green (Green)
#74ad9a 3.5 % Acapulco (Green)
#aea879 3.4 % Neutral Green (Green)
#395952 3.3 % Oracle (Green)
#d4a976 3.1 % Putty (Yellow)

message 12: by Trish (last edited Aug 29, 2018 11:55PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2696 comments Morning

Just double checking that this is okay for Green:
Wild Swans Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang .

TinEye reckons its 72.5% Surf Crest (Green) - although that may be a bit generous.

BTW, I'm sure in the UK version, he's Reverend Green - or maybe I just had an old set!!

message 13: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2746 comments Trish wrote: "Morning

Wild Swans Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang.

TinEye reckons its 72.5% Surf Crest (Green) - although that may be a bit generous...."

he is reverend green in the UK

message 14: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Seeking approval for GREEN cover

#9eac9c 10.8 % Tower Grey (G..."

I got different results on TinEye using the cover you posted and the green total is only 40.2%, which won't work.

message 15: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Trish wrote: "Morning

TinEye reckons its 72.5% Surf Crest (Green) - although that may be a bit generous...."

Yes, this book is okay.

message 16: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2696 comments Amanda A wrote: "Trish wrote: "Morning

TinEye reckons its 72.5% Surf Crest (Green) - although that may be a..."

Thanks, Amanda.

message 17: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Wayne wrote: "I've noticed something about TinEye. If you use the image on the main page, you'll get a different set of results than if you use the smaller images, such as the ones in our posts. If we're going to use TinEye, we.re going to have to make sure we're all on the same page . . . so to speak. ..."

Amanda A wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Seeking approval for GREEN cover

#9eac..."

Boy ... this is really discouraging because it's a real pain to check Tin-eye and then to have someone double check it and get a completely different result.

message 18: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Wayne wrote: "I've noticed something about TinEye. If you use the image on the main page, you'll get a different set of results than if you use the smaller images, such as the ones in our posts. If..."

I asked the mod and she will be using the full sized cover on the book's main page rather than the thumbnails for verifying TinEye results. I also used the cover on the book's main page and it produced different results because it looks like you used the thumbnail.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Amanda A wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Wayne wrote: "I've noticed something about TinEye. If you use the image on the main page, you'll get a different set of results than if you use the smaller images, such as th..."

Well that's part of the problem, because the directions for using Tin-eye posted by the mods say "from the thumbnail"
S*I*G*H

message 20: by Book Concierge (last edited Sep 02, 2018 08:19PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Option 1 -
Okay ... I won't bother to get the audio book ... I have the paperback on hand and I'll read rather than listen to the book

Please verify BLUE
Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns ISBN13: 9780618919710

Looking at TinEye ... using the cover image from this edition's main page I get:
Total 69.3 % Blue
#7e8bbf 39.5 % Wild Blue Yonder (Blue)
#8d9a8b 22.6 % Pewter (Green)
#3b3f4f 21.9 % Cloud Burst (Blue)
#e4e7ea 7.9 % White Lilac (Blue)
#5e695f 3.9 % Storm Dust (Grey)
#e2ddb1 2.6 % Tusk (Green)
#f3eca2 1.2 % Portafino (Yellow)

message 21: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Option 1 -
Okay ... I won't bother to get the audio book ... I have the paperback on hand and I'll read rather than listen to the book

Please verify BLUE
Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns ISBN13:..."

That works. Sorry this was discouraging for you.

message 22: by Ana (new)

Ana | 365 comments Does this work for purple Storm of Lightning (Michael Vey, #5) by Richard Paul Evans ?

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara G | 890 comments I just want to verify this one is okay for red?

Fear Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward

TinEye says 55.6% total:

#770e0b 30.2 % Falu Red (Red)
#9f1619 27.1 % Mandarian Orange (Orange)
#430b10 18.4 % Rustic Red (Red)
#17000 37.5 % Black (Black)
#e7e2e 25.3 % Wild Sand (Grey)
#580304 3.3 % Red Oxide (Red)
#974141 2.9 % Mexican Red (Red)
#897c7c 2.5 % Hurricane (Brown)
#4a4544 1.8 % Charcoal (Grey)
#af706f 0.8 % Coral Tree (Red)

Thanks in advance for looking :)

message 24: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Sara wrote: "I just want to verify this one is okay for red?

Fear Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward

TinEye says 55.6% total:

#770e0b 30.2 % Falu Red (Red)
#9f1619 27.1 % Mandarian Orange (Orange..."

Yes, this one works for red.

message 25: by Amanda A (last edited Sep 13, 2018 06:36PM) (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Ana wrote: "Does this work for purple Storm of Lightning (Michael Vey, #5) by Richard Paul Evans?"

Sorry, this one is just shy of 50% according to TinEye (48.1%).

message 26: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 989 comments For Option 1, does the color in the title need to be standalone, or can it be part of a bigger word as long as it is intact. ie, for Mr. Green=Green, does Greenhouse work?

The task description does not make this clarification.

message 27: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Heather(Gibby) wrote: "For Option 1, does the color in the title need to be standalone, or can it be part of a bigger word as long as it is intact. ie, for Mr. Green=Green, does Greenhouse work?

The task description doe..."

The color should be a single word in the title, not part of a word.

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Also, see the FAQs:

"1. What about words in titles? If a task calls for the word “back” in a title, can I use a title with “Back-up”? How about “Backstop”?
The default rule is that the word must stand alone in the title, so in the absence of exceptions, neither of these would work."

message 29: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7904 comments Blood Oath (Sawbones #2) by Melissa Lenhardt - possibly not, but is the handle of the gun enough? or do you need more

message 30: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Dee wrote: "Blood Oath (Sawbones #2) by Melissa Lenhardt - possibly not, but is the handle of the gun enough? or do you need more"

This will work for revolver. I think there is enough visible to indicate that it is a gun.

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7904 comments thanks! although i realized it also worked for option 3 - as the authors initials :)

message 32: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 289 comments My apologies, but I can't seem to figure out how to work this TinEye site. Could I get Every Day is Extra by John Kerry approved for white? It appears to be close to 50% white.

Thank you!

message 33: by Amanda A (new)

Amanda A | 614 comments Shawn wrote: "My apologies, but I can't seem to figure out how to work this TinEye site. Could I get Every Day is Extra by John Kerry approved for white? It appears to be close to 50% white.

Thank you!"

This book works. It is 57.6% white, according to TinEye.