Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Theological Questions > "Sound Doctrine" Are Not Dirty Words!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments It is amazing that so many people hear the word " doctrine " and think it is a " bad " thing. Two Greek words translated as "doctrine" are used 51 times in the New Testament. None of them speak disparagingly of sound doctrine.

When God speaks so positively about sound doctrine, why do some of His people cringe at the thought?

Titus 2:1 - "But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine."

Click below for a YouTube teaching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu52q...

Click below for a brief (one page, double-sided, tri-fold) PDF Bible study:
http://www.christ-like.net/sitebuilde...

Visit our ministry web site for many FREE resources:
www.christ-like.net

message 2: by John (new)

John | 43 comments Great question. I think it's because many people confuse bad doctrine with outright heretical beliefs. It's not that doctrine is bad, per se, but that we've allowed it to become the basis for division within the catholic (the lowercase 'c' is intentional) church, to the point that the mention of the word makes those little hairs on the backs of necks stand up.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments John wrote: "Great question. I think it's because many people confuse bad doctrine with outright heretical beliefs. It's not that doctrine is bad, per se, but that we've allowed it to become the basis for divis..."

My response: Good observation.

I also think if satan can get us to believe that somehow "doctrine" is evil or death rather than life... he can keep believers wallowing in preconceived ideas rather than the Word of God.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Drumheller | 37 comments Great comments. I also believe that there is a low value based on truth today. Just like the days of Jeremiah when the false prophets told the people what they wanted to hear, there are messages coming from the pulpits (sadly) to tell people what they want to hear. They want to hear that God accepts them as they are, and wants them to prosper in health and wealth. Truth is not accepted out of many pulpits today. We need godly man to stand up and proclaim the truth, in love.

message 5: by John (new)

John | 43 comments @Robert Drumheller - Absolutely. Unfortunately, Prosperity Gospel has clouded the waters so much, that I'm more likely to hear that preached these days than the Gospel of Christ. I mean, Joel Osteen has sold so many books, he can't be a "false teacher," right?!? It's enough to make you weep.

Thank God that this truth will always be the antidote:
"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV)

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments Robert wrote: "Great comments. I also believe that there is a low value based on truth today. Just like the days of Jeremiah when the false prophets told the people what they wanted to hear, there are messages co..."

Amen...

2 Timothy 4:3 - For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1598 comments John wrote: Thank God that this truth will always be the antidote: All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV) ..."

Amen!!!