Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)
This topic is about Castle of Wizardry
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Castle of Wizardry [Apr 20, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
April 20th.

Daniel | 1536 comments Seems lonely in here...:D

Gary Sundell | 105 comments Listens to crickets...tries changing into a wolf and hears Polgara say "Your back legs aren't long enough."

Daniel | 1536 comments Lmao...good one. Another great scene.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1085 comments I’ll be here. Can’t wait.

Let’s see if Eddings can throw another twist my way that I won’t see coming even though it is obvious and on the page.

(I didn’t realise who Aunt P is 😂)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments i’ll be late a few days probably.

Shaitarn | 1964 comments Marking my place

Daniel | 1536 comments Olivia wrote: "I’ll be here. Can’t wait.

Let’s see if Eddings can throw another twist my way that I won’t see coming even though it is obvious and on the page.

(I didn’t realise who Aunt P is 😂)"

that was fun fun funny Olivia

Julia | 118 comments Just finished last night actually, but I have lots of favourite moments I would love to share once everyone else reads this!

This is quickly becoming one of my favourite series of all time!

Julia | 118 comments Olivia wrote: "I’ll be here. Can’t wait.

(I didn’t realise who Aunt P is 😂)"

LOL have you read the companion novels?

Daniel | 1536 comments These books lend themselves to all time favorite moments. I am so glad I reread these and got to experience those fun moments again..

Daniel | 1536 comments Julia wrote: "Olivia wrote: "I’ll be here. Can’t wait.

(I didn’t realise who Aunt P is 😂..."

Who is your favorite character Julia?

Julia | 118 comments It’s a tie between Polgara and Belgarath!

Daniel | 1536 comments Aha very interesting...mine always used to be Silk. Who is you all time favorite literary character? Lol

Julia | 118 comments In any book? Hermione Granger, because I grew up idolizing her, though I have a great love for many Harry Potter characters. I also love Dustfinger in Inkheart. Also Inigo Montoya and Westley from The Princess Bride!

Daniel | 1536 comments Yeah Hermione was an all time great...not familiar with Dustfinger, Princess Bride is a classic

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Around Ch 13

Well so far things have gone as expected, I guess. Nothing much to report.

message 18: by Rob (last edited Apr 23, 2019 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments I'm 47% in. (beginning of ch 13) I got up to (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Done.

Well, the plot moved as expected. There were questionable decisions made by both Garion and Ce'Nedra that made me grind my teeth a little bit as I was reading, but nothing major. Except, perhaps (view spoiler) I didn't expect (view spoiler)

Also a few child-rearing advice from a few characters certainly didn't age well in this day and age ((view spoiler)).

Loriidae | 305 comments Thoroughly enjoyed my reread via audio. It's still a tie between Barack and Hettar as to my favourites. I adore Silk's quips but I never liked the thief part of him even though it perfectly fits his character.

Daniel | 1536 comments I always got the vibe that it wasn’t the thieving that did it for Silk. Rather, it was being the smartest guy in the room, and using any means necessary of proving it. The constant jibes at Belgarath or Belgarion were always amusing.

Loriidae | 305 comments Oh definitely even the thieving is about outwitting someone.

Daniel | 1536 comments I think my absolute favorite Eddings character has to be Sparhawk.

Shaitarn | 1964 comments OK, finally starting this one today!

Daniel | 1536 comments Tis a fun read!

message 26: by Loriidae (last edited May 01, 2019 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae | 305 comments Daniel wrote: "I think my absolute favorite Eddings character has to be Sparhawk."

Now that would be a fun reread. I have pretty much forgotten most of the quest. I think I have only read it the one time. After the Mallorean!!

Daniel | 1536 comments Sure sounds like a lot of fun!

Shaitarn | 1964 comments Getting through this very quickly - (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Getting through this very quickly - [spoilers removed]"

Yes makes for a quick fun read, and the trio makes for a fun time as well.

Julia | 118 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Getting through this very quickly - [spoilers removed]"

Agreed! Silk and Belgarath have the best-written personalities, in my opinion.

message 31: by Daniel (last edited May 02, 2019 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daniel | 1536 comments Can anyone stand Ce’nedra or Belgarion? Polgara can be a piece of work as well.

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Those two are part of the reasons I only rated the book and the series as 3-star so far. They’re just damn annoying and self-centered and stupid (maybe too harsh ... unthinking?). Definitely not my favorite characters in SFF. But, they,re, unfortunately, the main characters.

Daniel | 1536 comments Interesting point. I just mostly ignored Ce’nedra, and Belgarion got so much better in the Mallorean I gave him a pass. Hmmm

Shaitarn | 1964 comments I think I said in the last book BR I much prefer the secondary characters - I think Hettar, Barak and Silk are all better than the main characters. Belgarath is okay, but the others are annoying.

Garion is the archetypal 'boy from the farm' so he's written as a naïve idiot deliberately, but I'm afraid I can't stand Ce'Nedra or Polgara. I agree with Barry - Ce'Nedra is a self-centred little brat and Polgara is arrogantly harsh, so sure she's right all the time - she'd be considering thousands of dead as 'acceptable losses'. Actually I'd like to see a character with those traits written as a villain.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1085 comments Silk is definitely my favourite character.

Daniel | 1536 comments Agree with last two posts...

Daniel | 1536 comments @ Meagan, yes this is good old fashioned fantasy. Not the gnarly grim dark stuff so pervasive in fantasy today. Happy Reading to all!

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments I am still reading it... I have been a bit scattered, but I love this series 😊

Julia | 118 comments Choko wrote: "I am still reading it... I have been a bit scattered, but I love this series 😊"

Me too! I finished a while ago already... couldn't help but devour these books!

Daniel | 1536 comments Yeppers amazingly good lil books. Still great reads thirty years later!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1085 comments I’m still reading as well. Hoping to finish this Saturday.

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments Me too, O! I have to say, anty Poulgara is still my favorite! She reminds me of Mary Poppins, and she was my favorite childhood character 🙂

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Aunt Pol reminds me of my own mom. My mom also nagged me a lot. Kept reminding me to do stuff (do homework, clean the bed, wear clothing neatly, clean the room, etc.) And I dunno how she did it, but when I was growing up she seemed to always win any argument with me, that she always seemed to be right lol.

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments Hahahaha! That means you have a great mom!!! You are one lucky man 🙂