Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Queen of Sorcery [Feb 20, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Feb 20th.

message 2: by Saksham (new)

Saksham | 47 comments I'm in

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments in

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia | 118 comments Oops, already started! But I'll be glad to join in the discussions! My reading schedule couldn't put it off much longer! :)

message 5: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 7773 comments Spot 😊!

message 6: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments I’ll be here!

message 7: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments I'll be starting on time or a bit earlier!

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 118 comments Looks like I'll be finishing four days before the Buddy Read starts! Maybe I will read lots of short books before Magician's Gambit.

message 9: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments It sounds like I better go hunting in the basement for my copy sooner than later :)

message 10: by Julia (new)

Julia | 118 comments *Done!* 😁 But I'm waiting a little while before diving into book three!

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments I dove straight back into that, reckon I'll finish today or tomorrow. Anyone else?

message 12: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments Beginning my reread tonight. It has been 8 or 10 years since I last read this series.

message 13: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments I started last night and am in the middle of chapter 3.

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments End of Ch 3

I kinda (view spoiler)

Other than that nothing much has happened so far.

message 15: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments Barry wrote: "End of Ch 3

I kinda [spoilers removed]

Other than that nothing much has happened so far."

He is still pre-high school age at this point I believe! I forget how big ethnic stereotypes are in this series and how conforming they seem to be. I forget how well, if at all, Eddings lets characters break those predisposed roles/traits.

message 16: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1971 comments I'm going to be a little late, but I will be reading this!

message 17: by Rob (new)

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1952 comments I'm about 1/3 of the way in. The series really starts to find its stride now :)

message 18: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Well I’m done.

Like the first book, the plot remains pretty simple and straightforward, compared to contemporary fantasy books, I suppose. There are one or two plot twists that I didn’t expect. (view spoiler)

There are obviously some intriguing mysteries yet to be revealed regarding Garion. Onto the third book, next month.

message 19: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments Yes it is an old fashioned fantasy. I always loved the quest in these books, and although it is very stereotypical, the gathering of one to represent each Kingdom stands up over time for me.

I can't comment on your spoiler without giving future events away! :)

message 20: by Beste (new)

Beste | 1163 comments Aren't the characters just so adorable??
(Beside ofcourse our little monster)

I just don't like the way the women are written in both Belgariad and WoT series.

message 21: by Shaitarn (last edited Feb 25, 2019 03:54PM) (new)

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Beste wrote: "Aren't the characters just so adorable??
(Beside ofcourse our little monster)

I just don't like the way the women are written in both Belgariad and WoT series."

It's funny because Polgara is really hacking me off; her whole 'unruffled, enigmatic wise woman who knows everything' character is really getting on my wick! At least Belgareth has a roguish streak - she's so po-faced it irritates the heck out of me!

I honestly don't know why that is - I've liked other female characters written by male authors, so I don't think I hate female characters generally. I'm going to conclude she's written rather badly - she needs a bit more depth or a bit more of a sense of humour or something!

message 22: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 305 comments That's really interesting as this series was actually written by a husband and wife team. At the time they said it was one of the worst kept secrets in the literary world. Belgarath the Sorcerer (1997) was I think the first to have Leigh's name on the cover.

message 23: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments I’ve finished. I feel like this one is not quite as sweet and intriguing as the first one. It’s a typical middle book. But I am very interested in seeing what happens in the third one.

message 24: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Loriidae wrote: "That's really interesting as this series was actually written by a husband and wife team. At the time they said it was one of the worst kept secrets in the literary world. [book:Belgarath the Sorce..."

I remember reading that in The Rivan Codex years ago. I don't know - some characters just really grate on me, and Polgara is definitely one of them! (Maybe I should point out I've read this a couple of time in my young pre-GR days, so I'm not adverse to it.)

Hetter and Barak are my favourites, despite being secondary characters.