Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Sunday Conversation 8/19

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9373 comments Where the Heck is Jason?

Seriously - you've been missed. I look forward to hearing what you've been up to and about what you've been reading. Feels like as good of a conversation topic as any....

Anyone else have a topic in mind? How about in honor of Joi, books to read on a honeymoon. Or something corny like that. Someone throw an idea out for us to ponder, while we wait for Jason to save us.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Where the Heck is Jason?

Seriously - you've been missed. I look forward to hearing what you've been up to and about what you've been reading. Feels like as good of a conversation topic as any....
..."

We just need Jason back.:) Seriously...Jason we need you. But let me think about a question. I just got back home so I need to get back into some frame of mind here.

message 3: by Karin (last edited Aug 19, 2018 03:14PM) (new)

Karin | 7473 comments Books to read on a honeymoon? I don't recall reading much on mine. We were sightseeing, travelling and otherwise occupied, but then we had a long distance romance and engagement, etc. We weren't already living together. A friend from high school lived with her now husband for a couple of years in university so they went home and fell asleep after their wedding reception (they were exhausted). I don't even remember what they did for their honeymoon, but they didn't have much money as the wedding was a few days after she graduated from college.

So, what do people read on honeymoons?

message 4: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments One of my many memories from our honeymoon did involve a book:

Our honeymoon was a multi-locational affair. We began in Oklahoma City in a nice downtown hotel, then moved on to Guthrie, Oklahoma (a very tiny town), and finished in St. Louis. While we were in Guthrie we stayed in a bed and breakfast called arsenic and old lace. It was this cute little house in which we were only supposed to have the upstairs but no one else was staying there.

Upstairs we had a beautiful bedroom, a bathroom with a claw foot tub, and this gorgeous sitting room where we took our breakfast. We also had a wonderful front porch with a little table and chairs. While there I read Cuba Libre by Elmore Leonard. Honestly I don't remember much about the book but there was something incredibly romantic about being in that house with my wife, reading a good book, and enjoying that environment.

Now, during that same time at that same B&B we also found a scorpion in the sink and the city turned off the water because the owners were going bankrupt from a lack of business. We ended up never being charged for that portion of our honeymoon, which made it even better.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Love that story J.W.! My husband and I shared of a love of books and poetry especially. I have two copies of Tyler Knott Gregson, Chasers of the light. One copy is one he read aloud to to me while we were away after we married in the mountains but and the other copy is identical, only with a small square cut out of half the book. When he proposed to me the engagement ring was in this book that he had with him to give to me as a gift. I will never forget sitting on the swing, on the front porch of a cabin listening to him read aloud love poems. A good book, sunsets, and being together will always be in my memory. And every time I see this book of poetry it takes me back to that time.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments What lovely stories JW and Rachel. I read the first Harry Potter on our honeymoon! Not exactly romantic but certainly memorable!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I love that Susie!! How great!!

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9373 comments Who can remember? Married twenty two years next week. Did I bring a book to Mexico? I must have.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I can’t imagine you didn’t Amy!! Let’s face it, books are like an appendage for us book lovers.

message 10: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Wonderful stories. This was a nice impromptu topic.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments I can’t remember what I read, but I’m sure I read something. We had a pretty long road trip to the Lake of the Ozarks, and my hubby’s a quiet guy when driving. Probably something by Tom Robbins or Anne Rice...

message 12: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments No honeymoon for me. My husband and I eloped, just us. We got married at the beach in St Petersburg, FL at sunset on a Monday evening that also happened to be Veteran’s Day. We went to a really nice/locally famous hotel after... the Don Cesar, and had a really fancy dinner. Next morning we had IHOP and went to tell our families. His mom sobbed because we didn’t have a wedding. It all worked out in the end because his sister got married a couple years later and I saw the bullet we dodged by eloping lol!! So no books for me but weddings always make me think of one of my favorite Nora Roberts series, the brides quartet.

message 13: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Charlotte, I love that series. I keep saying I want to reread it, but I am so busy reading new stuff that I don’t ever get to it!!

message 14: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6406 comments Don't remember what I read on our honeymoon ... if anything (Though I'm sure I read while on the plane going and returning). But Hubby and I developed a habit when we were dating where we would tell each other the story of what we were reading. It's kinda how we fell in love.

When we met he was reading a book that was a huge historical adventure / love story (I don't even remember the title). On our first date he began telling me about it and to keep the story straight he cast the two of us as the main characters: he was the soldier of fortune, I was the diplomat's daughter. He had only just begun the book, so couldn't tell me much. Until the next date. I think he purposely either delayed reading it, or just delayed telling it to me so we could keep going on dates and I could learn "what happens next?" Well ... obviously ... the boy gets the girl. We'll be married 28 years this October.

message 15: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments Tracy wrote: "I can’t remember what I read, but I’m sure I read something. We had a pretty long road trip to the Lake of the Ozarks, and my hubby’s a quiet guy when driving. Probably something by Tom Robbins or ..."

I've been wanting to go to the Ozarks since seeing that Netflix show Ozarks :)

My husband and I just passed our 7 year anniversary.
We were married in a courthouse and no honeymoon in the traditional sense.

I feel like a good honeymoon book would be similar to whatever else you would normally take on a trip - a genre you like that can be abandoned shortly and picked back up easily. My ideal honeymoon would probably involve a lot of touring around the local town, eating and drinking and probably not much time for reading except when winding down at night. (unless we could get some beach time in)

message 16: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments BC, that is so romantic!

I don't remember if I brought a book along to our honeymoon. If I did I doubt I got much reading done, as my parents, brother & sister, grandmother, and a couple of cousins came along to Vegas, then my immediate family (parents, bro & sis) came with us to the Grand Canyon. LOL it was after our second, and church, wedding - we had married the previous year in Vegas and had a church wedding later to appease my parents and family who are traditional Catholics. Didn't expect it to take so long to plan and execute, but we had a second "honeymoon" with family at the Grand Canyon.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments I was among those who went home and slept after our wedding(29 years in September). Most of my husbands family came from Europe for the wedding-6 siblings-lots of vodka shots at the reception-so guess who drove them all home? Yes the bride-still in veil and wedding garb-driving a full sized van stuffed with drunk non-English speaking Polish folk. They all came back to our home and continued drinking in the back-yard-when the sun came up-they traipsed down the street(still in that wedding garb) and went to Denny's for breakfast! Quite the memories...lol. When my husband finally got rid of them, we traveled to the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island(Michigan) and spent a lovely honeymoon-know I had a book or two-but don't recall what.

And funny, I too was thinking of Jason and wondering where he slipped off too...Come back Jason, miss your commentary!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanne wrote: "I was among those who went home and slept after our wedding(29 years in September). Most of my husbands family came from Europe for the wedding-6 siblings-lots of vodka shots at the reception-so gu..."

Joanne you made me laugh out loud this morning reading this. Imagining the bride, in full get up driving the drunk Polish folk home. What a great story.:) Congrats on 29 years. I love long marriages.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9373 comments Great stories emerging! But in the Jason Is Missing topic, I hoped maybe we could draw him out. I last checked in with him over a week ago, Rachel I think since then. He must be supremely busy. But no doubt will come back having read a ton of books, a few from centuries long forgotten.

message 20: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6406 comments annapi wrote: "we had married the previous year in Vegas and had a church wedding later to appease my parents and family who are traditional Catholics...."

Ha .. we also got married twice. Once by the judge who was my husband's college friend.... and six months later in Texas in the church by a priest to appease my Catholic parents. My husband has said many times "I managed to not get married for nearly 50 years, and then got married twice in six months!"

message 21: by annapi (last edited Aug 20, 2018 04:15PM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Ha .. we also got married twice. Once by the judge who was my husband's college friend.... and six months later in Texas in the church by a priest to appease my Catholic parents...."

LOL and the irony is that the Catholics demand marriage in a Catholic church or it doesn't count in their (and God's) eyes, but a year after we learned that the priest who officiated at our church wedding, and who left the state 2 days later, committed suicide in Washington state the day after the statute of limitations for child molestation was lifted in California, where apparently he had gone through several congregations. That was the first we'd heard about his proclivities and we were flabbergasted. (We just picked a church and a priest who was willing to marry us without any hassle, since neither of us were religious.) I think our marriage was the last official church function he performed in California.

message 22: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Don't remember what I read on our honeymoon ... if anything (Though I'm sure I read while on the plane going and returning). But Hubby and I developed a habit when we were dating where we would tel..."

What a great story BC.
I love reading everybody's funny / romantic / wild wedding story.

we didn't have a honeymoon. we had a deadline on our wedding because of the type of visa I came to Australia on.
We would have happily stayed together and unmarried, but had to do the official knot - so organized it in a week, remembered to check with the authorities if we can wed in the local botanical garden about a day in advance (luckily there wasn't any other wedding scheduled).
We always told our families that sure... we'll do a 'real' wedding in Brisbane and another one in Israel - to celebrate with everyone...

right. they are still waiting. we never could see the reason to put ourselves through that ordeal

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9373 comments We went to Alcapulco Mexico, to a hotel called Las Brisas - the Kisses. Meant for honeymooners, each room had a private pool with floating petals and breakfast delivered. We met some other couples, bought a bracelet for hubby at a Gild factory, prowled markets, the pool bar, and the beach, and went to a transvestite show. Began and ended the time in NYC, as my third year Ph.D. Classes and internship were starting up. Then flew back to Boston. I did my Ph.D. At NYU for four years traveling each week to study, counsel, teach, and take classes. I can’t believe our anniversary is Next Saturday. I’ll be on a plane back home with two of our theee kids!

message 24: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments annapi wrote: "Book Concierge wrote: "Ha .. we also got married twice. Once by the judge who was my husband's college friend.... and six months later in Texas in the church by a priest to appease my Catholic pare..."
Wow.

message 25: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments Meli wrote: "Tracy wrote: "I can’t remember what I read, but I’m sure I read something. We had a pretty long road trip to the Lake of the Ozarks, and my hubby’s a quiet guy when driving. Probably something by T..."
I recommend it! It’s a beautiful place. If you go to Branson, though, go through after 5pm. By then the slow drivers are home and watching Wheel of Fortune!

message 26: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments We definitely didn't read on our honeymoon, but we got married the day before Harry Potter book 7 came out, so as we were driving to the hotel that night I was imagining all the Potter-philes standing in line waiting for midnight. Then when we returned from our trip (a low-key three days at the beach) we found that my mother-in-law had left us a copy of The Deathly Hallows in our new apartment which we hadn't unpacked yet. Hubby read it first, the scoundrel, but then redeemed himself by excusing me from unpacking until I finished.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9373 comments Just wanted to say that Jason is extremely busy, but is glad to be missed. Hopefully will see him before not too long, but could be a while.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I hope it is a good busy and that he comes back soon. He is missed. I hope he is reading a lot of great books!

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9373 comments Ha! He says he hasn’t read a word in a month. Isn’t that shocking? I do hope we will see him soon. He is indeed missed.

message 30: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Aww, this has been so much fun to see and read all your honeymooning stories!!

i have not read a page in at least 2 1/2 weeks. We did a minimoon (3 days at the coast, which consisted of relaxing, whale watching, and stuffing our faces with seafood)- and our larger honeymoon will be in 2 months. I plan to do LOTS of reading on the real honeymoon- a 15 day cruise.

How funny any of you have Harry Potter related wedding reading.

JW with the scorpions, Joanne with the drunken Polish bus, SO FUNNY!! I feel like every wedding/honeymoon has one crazy thing lol.

Amy, our minimoon hotel had private 2person Jacuzzi tubs on all the balconies to overlook the ocean. So romantic! Your hotel in Mexico sounds super cool with private pools!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Ha! He says he hasn’t read a word in a month. Isn’t that shocking? I do hope we will see him soon. He is indeed missed."

Amy, impossible. Is this really our Jason? He has not read one word?

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy N. wrote: "We definitely didn't read on our honeymoon, but we got married the day before Harry Potter book 7 came out, so as we were driving to the hotel that night I was imagining all the Potter-philes stand..."

I love this.:) Harry Potter Fans.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9373 comments I simply cannot comprehend “our boy” missing espionage month- like are you kidding? He’s serious busy.

Welcome back Joi!

message 34: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7473 comments Joi wrote: "Aww, this has been so much fun to see and read all your honeymooning stories!!

i have not read a page in at least 2 1/2 weeks. We did a minimoon (3 days at the coast, which consisted of relaxing, ..."

I'm glad you had a lovely time--and, wow, a larger one to follow!