2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Lorena gets back into reading. 44 books in 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ren (last edited Aug 18, 2018 07:59PM) (new)

ren | 4 comments Hi everyone, I'm Lorena.
I started my 2018 challenge in late February when I decided to take up reading again. I'm 25 and haven't really read anything much since I was a teen, I loved reading as a child. I am a pretty fast reader so I set myself the original goal of 52 books, thinking a book a week was a conservative goal, accounting for the fact that I started the challenge late. I would usually read a book in one sitting of a few hours. I can vividly remember excitedly picking up the last Harry Potter book on release day at 10am and having finished it by tea time.

But life happened and I soon realised I had much less time for reading as an adult than before! I lowered my goal by eight to account for my eight week late start and have been toddling off to the library every few weeks to pick up new books.

Despite the revision, and my average read time of two to three days for a full novel I'm still 15 books behind schedule and the end of the year is fast approaching. I would love to catch up to my revised goal as I don't think it was very ambitious, but seeing that backlog is very disheartening. I will definitely feel as if I've 'failed' if I lower my goal again, and I wouldn't even know what would be a new realistic goal for my adult self. It's silly to be so hard on myself as I've already read more books this year than I have in the past 5! I suppose I need to commit to reading every day, even if its just for 10 minutes. While I'm not sure how realistic it is, I'm still hoping to make this goal. Though I'll take any advice on whether to double down or lower my goal again. Wish me luck!

message 2: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Wishing you the best of luck!

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Hi Lorena, more or less the same happened to me. I got in a reading slump, didn't read for like 5 or 6 years. When I got back to reading, this group (especially the buddy and group reads) helped a lot. I did start with a low goal however, not wanting to get disappointed if I weren't to succeed. I started out with a tentative goal of 12 books (one a month), upped it to 24 during the year and ended up reading 46 books (without upping my goal, so it really felt like a victory)!!! The start was slow however, so I think if I had started off with a goal of 46 right from the beginning I might have gotten discouraged...

So maybe that's an idea? Start of with 1 or 2 books a month (you started late february so that would mean 10-20 books) and just see how that goes. If you succeed, you can try a higher goal next year.

Well, that's just my suggestion, but of course you should do whatever feels good for you. The most important thing is that you enjoy your reads. So be careful not to focus on quantity too much as the stress to reach your goal may take away some of the pleasure of simply reading good stories.

Good luck Lorena!

message 4: by Veda (new)

Veda  (moonchild63) | 40 comments lorena wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Lorena.
I started my 2018 challenge in late February when I decided to take up reading again. I'm 25 and haven't really read anything much since I was a teen, I loved reading as a ..."

I chose 12 because it was August, school was restarting & one has to account for - the holiday season! I will do better in 2019 (Lord willing 😊) and since some majorly good reads (no pun was intended) will be coming out in Sept., I figure I can make it up there, as a 'devourer' of 📚's (esp specific series like the Harry Potter, you bring up!) the 4 read +2 reading (now) with two (2) on pre-order should square me! Good luck or

Goodreads (that was an intended one/pun!)

message 5: by Jakob (new)

Jakob (4841) I think lots of people fall into a reading slump between their last years of high school and mid twenties. I certainly did, call those years the dark ages of my reading career. I think I can count the number of books I read during that time on one hand, on both definitely.

Then a friend introduced me to goodreads in 2014 and I read one book. The first one in a couple of years. The year after I made myself a goal of 12 books, I read nine I believe. 2016 I set my goal at 12 again and read 18 (victory!), last year I said I would do 20 and boy... I was not going to fail and actually spent all of new years eve reading. Technically I finished my 20th book on January 1st this year, but I let it slide.

This year I thought I could easily do two a month so I set my goal to 24. I'm currently 6 or 7 books behind schedule on that one, as I was finishing up my last year of uni and read nothing between February and June. Then I went on a reading spree and read four books in ten days. So I reckon I'll finish, crossing fingers.

I see you've gone ahead and lowered your goal to 22 already, which I think is a pretty solid number. Like you said, you've read more books this year than the last few combined. It's honestly just about getting into a habit, like you said, read a little bit each day. I tend to do sprints (like four in 10 days) and then get winded and take ages to read another book (been working on one for a month and half now, or another I've been reading since January...)

Anyway, done rambling about myself now.

Good luck with your reading!

message 6: by Veda (new)

Veda  (moonchild63) | 40 comments Jakob wrote: "I think lots of people fall into a reading slump between their last years of high school and mid twenties. I certainly did, call those years the dark ages of my reading career. I think I can count ..."

"Anyway, done rambling about myself now."

Awww, I was enjoying the 'read' &

"Good luck with your reading," as well!

message 7: by Jakob (new)

Jakob (4841) Veda wrote: ""Anyway, done rambling about myself now."

Awww, I was enjoying the 'read' &

"Good luck with your reading," as well! "

Haha. There's a lot more rambling to be had on my thread, if you're thirsting for more.

message 8: by ren (new)

ren | 4 comments thank you for the comments everyone. it's been very reassuring! and for your kind advice, Susy. as Jakob mentioned, I've halved my goal to 22. hopefully I'll be able to beat it! i think seeing people with 100 and even 200+ book goals threw me a little. i should be proud of my progress even if it's a little slower than I'd like.
posting here has helped to keep me accountable and I'm currently making my way through neverwhere by neil gaiman.

message 9: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) lorena wrote: "thank you for the comments everyone. it's been very reassuring! and for your kind advice, Susy. as Jakob mentioned, I've halved my goal to 22. hopefully I'll be able to beat it! i think seeing peop..."

You're very welcome Lorena.
I know exactly what you mean. I'd always thought of myself as a fast enough reader, but then I joined this group and I was like WHAT??? Apparently, in comparison with a lot of the people here, I'm quite a slow reader. But that's ok. As you said, it's important for us to be proud of our own progress, even if that's slower than that of a lot of other readers. And also to enjoy our reads.

So how are you liking Neverwhere? I'v only read Norse Mythology by him but I liked it so much that I'm really looking forward to reading more of his books.

message 10: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments You are on your way to having a great year in books! Do you have a book you still can't wait to read?

message 11: by ren (new)

ren | 4 comments neverwhere was fantastic, i really love gaiman's books. I can't put my finger on it but something about his writing really enthralls me.
I just finished book 2 of the keys to the kingdom series by nix. I'm enjoying it although feeling a little old to really appreciate it. it's still a fun read and I'm looking forward to picking up book 3 from the library!

blagica, I'm dying to read Norwegian wood(or any of murakami's books, honestly!) i saw an advert for the film when i was 17 or so and was mesmerised by the 'feel' of it and made a note in the depths of my phone to read the book. I've yet to pick it up but I'll see if i can get a hold on it on the library as it's always checked out.
i also really want to re-attempt TLOTR as i couldn't get through it when i first tried as a preteen. i have the set back in England but not here, or in any of the libraries i visit (oddly enough) so I'm going to search some second hand shops!