Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (myrtilla) | 3 comments 4.5 Stars.

This book is classified as young adult, but I would strongly recommend this for an older or more mature teen due to the situations involving implied torture and cruelty. While these scenes aren't overtly graphic, the writing is powerful, allowing the imagination to fill in the dark spaces. There were times I wanted to look away and times it made my heart ache.

That being said, this is a really good story about two really good friends-Julia and Maddie; Queenie and KItty Hawk; Verity and Kate. (all the same two young women) One is a spy for the Resistance, the other a female pilot flying for the British Air Transport Auxilary. The story is told through the writings of each girl after having been shot down behind enemy lines in Nazi occupied France.

The story takes place in Britain and across the Channel in France during WW ll. This is the story of young women pilots who were used by the British Air Force to fly their fighter planes to various air fields delivering them to be armed and flown in combat by British fighter pilots. It is also a well-crafted story of espionage complete with resistance workers, spy networks, recruitment and training camps and heroic action.

I love when a book introduces me to a piece of history about which I know very little and Code Name Verity certainly does that along with delivering a very well crafted story and strong, admirable characters. And as a bonus you learn something about the origin of the ball point pen.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6387 comments I really liked Code Name Verity - 4****

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I have seen several reviews of this and it looks quite good! I have read my espionage book for the month and am not sure I will get to a second, but perhaps this will fit a future monthly tag!

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6849 comments I just finished it and it is really good.

It would make a very good book for the friendship tag.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8417 comments Booknblues wrote: "I just finished it and it is really good.

It would make a very good book for the friendship tag."

Yes my thoughts exactly BNB-I got from the library and knew I would not be able to finish for Aug-put it down until today-

message 6: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6849 comments Joanne wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "I just finished it and it is really good.

It would make a very good book for the friendship tag."

Yes my thoughts exactly BNB-I got from the library and knew I would not be ab..."

I finished it yesterday, so I won't be able to add it to the friendship tag, but it was so good , I couldn't put off finishing it one more day.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6387 comments Last month I read The Pearl Thief, also by Elizabeth E Wein. It's the "prequel" to CNV. Tells Julia's backstory when she's 15 - summer 1938. Definitely fits the friendship tag.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8417 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Last month I read The Pearl Thief, also by Elizabeth E Wein. It's the "prequel" to CNV. Tells Julia's backstory when she's 15 - summer 1938. Definitely fits the friendship tag."

Definitely on my list to read-thanks!