The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5360 comments Mod
15.1 - Dig It
The Men's World Volleyball Championship takes place September 9 - 30. The countries in Pools A-D will compete with each other during Round 1 of the competition. Read TWO books, each set at least 50% in two different countries that are in the SAME pool. For example, you may choose to read one book set in Argentina and one in Japan (Pool A) or you may choose a book set in Brazil and one set in China (Pool B). A list of pools is provided in post 2 of the Help Thread.
Required: State the countries used when posting. If the setting is not obvious from the book's GRs main page, provide a link to reference for verification.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

POOL A:
Argentina
Belgium
Dominican Republic
Italy
Japan
Slovenia

POOL B:
Brazil
Canada
China
Egypt
France
Netherlands

POOL C:
Australia
Cameroon
Russia
Serbia
Tunisia
USA

POOL D:
Bulgaria
Cuba
Finland
Iran
Poland
Puerto Rico

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Christine (new)

Christine | 767 comments Meditations by Marcus Aurelius lists its setting as "The Roman Empire". Would this be acceptable to equate to Italy in Pool A for this task? Thanks!

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Christine wrote: "Meditations by Marcus Aurelius lists its setting as "The Roman Empire". Would this be acceptable to equate to Italy in Pool A for this task? Thanks!"

Yes, that works for Italy.

message 7: by Wanda (last edited Aug 22, 2018 07:13AM) (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1695 comments Sorry answered my own question. No question for mod.

message 8: by Joanne (last edited Sep 18, 2018 09:08AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 1072 comments WouldBatavia's Graveyard: The True Story of the Mad Heretic Who Led History's Bloodiest Mutiny work as Austrialia-the ship ran aground off the coast of Australia

The mutiny might have succeeded, but in the dark morning hours of June 3, 1629, the Batavia smashed through a coral reef and ran aground on a small chain of islands near Australia.

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Joanne wrote: "WouldBatavia's Graveyard: The True Story of the Mad Heretic Who Led History's Bloodiest Mutiny work as Austrialia-the ship ran aground off the coast of Australia

The mutiny might ha..."

Yes, that works. The island chain is now considered an Australian territory.

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 483 comments Apologies for cross-posting, but this list is saving my hair on this and similar tasks, to veer outside the US/Canada and Europe: https://ayearofreadingtheworld.com/th....

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 11019 comments Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "Apologies for cross-posting, but this list is saving my hair on this and similar tasks, to veer outside the US/Canada and Europe: https://ayearofreadingtheworld.com/th...."

Nice! Thanks for sharing!!

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 483 comments Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote:

Welcome! Though keep in mind that her rules included author nationalities, not just settings. But still, it's much better than other lists I've found.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16710 comments Mod
Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote:

Welcome! Though keep in mind that her rules included author nationalities, not just settings. But still, it's much better than other lists I've found."

not sure what you mean by "her rules included author nationalities" - this task is restricted to setting. This list could be very helpful for that.