The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5337 comments Mod
5.9: Boggle

Using this Boggle board, read a book the title/subtitle of which includes a word of at least 3 letters that can be made from the board. From the rules of Boggle - "Each player searches for words that can be constructed from the letters of sequentially adjacent cubes, where "adjacent" cubes are those horizontally, vertically, and diagonally neighboring. Words must be at least three letters long,... but may not use the same letter cube more than once per word."

Note that in the game, the words need not be constructed in a straight line as long as the letters are adjacent - so, for instance, starting in the upper left hand corner, you could make the word TIRE - T, straight down to I, diagonally up to R, straight to the right to E.

REQUIRED: State the word that you are using.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (new)

Reserved

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Does the word has to be an english word or can I read a german book with e.g. der/die/das article in the title?

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16704 comments Mod
Rina wrote: "Does the word has to be an english word or can I read a german book with e.g. der/die/das article in the title?"

As long as the word is in the title of the book you read, it works.

message 7: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2696 comments So I see DODO (fourth column, second and third letters, third column, third and fourth letters). Would I be able to use The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., which has been on my TBR for a bit, or has it got to be an actual word?

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 719 comments Can "AND" be used as a word?

message 9: by Sandy (new)

it's 3 letters and found in the board.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Trish wrote: "So I see DODO (fourth column, second and third letters, third column, third and fourth letters). Would I be able to use The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., which has been on my TBR for a..."

it's going to have to be a word, not a series of letters with periods in between.

message 11: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2696 comments Sandy wrote: "it's going to have to be a word, not a series of letters with periods in between. "

Righty ho.

message 12: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2746 comments just checking that the word SOON works from S on bottom row diagonally

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Can the word be a proper name: ADAM?

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Marie (UK) wrote: "just checking that the word SOON works from S on bottom row diagonally"

can't see why it wouldn't.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Can the word be a proper name: ADAM?"

yes

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily | 719 comments Trish wrote: "So I see DODO (fourth column, second and third letters, third column, third and fourth letters). Would I be able to use The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., which has been on my TBR for a..."

Trish, "and" was approved as a word here, so you could still use this book if you wanted to.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Boston Kate wrote: "Trish wrote: "So I see DODO (fourth column, second and third letters, third column, third and fourth letters). Would I be able to use The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O., which has been o..."

ah, good point - I was focused completely on the question asked!

message 18: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Is Bónd by Touko Kawai acceptable?

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Celeste wrote: "Is Bónd by Touko Kawai acceptable?"

sorry. no. The main page title is Bond(z), which is also on the front of the book cover. There is no (z) available on the boggle board.

We always use the title/author as it is shown on the GR main page.

message 20: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Sandy wrote: "Celeste wrote: "Is Bónd by Touko Kawai acceptable?"

sorry. no. The main page title is Bond(z), which is also on the front of the book cover. There is no (z) availab..."

sigh ... that's what Kristina Simon said ... was hoping ....

message 21: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments The Handsome Man's Deluxe Café

On the board, second column reading straight down, ignoring the R ... you have
M
A
N
S

So would MAN'S work? (asking because of the apostrophe)

Thanks in advance ...

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "The Handsome Man's Deluxe Café

On the board, second column reading straight down, ignoring the R ... you have
M
A
N
S

So would MAN'S work? (asking because of the apostrophe)

Tha..."

yes, since the apostrophe isn't a letter.