What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Told in the Drooling Ward
This topic is about Told in the Drooling Ward
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short Story/Literature/Classic? - Short story about a group from an asylum taking a trip to the outside woods (Possibly by Jack London). [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wren (last edited Aug 18, 2018 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wren | 20 comments Genre: Literature, short story, classic?

Year: I read it about 3-5 years ago for as part of an English class. I think it was written around 1900-1960's, if that's any help.

Plot: First person perspective. The narrator thought he was better than most of the members of the hospital because he helped take care of the more terminal patients (even though he acknowledged he had problems himself). Part of the story involves some more able members of a psychiatric hospital (or sanatorium, possibly) leading a group out into the natural environment surrounding the building. Eventually, one or more members of the group has a breakdown of some kind. I don't remember how it ends.

Author: For some reason I believe Jack London wrote this story, although I was unable to find a similar story by him via web search or a brief overview of his 'works' page. If you find something similar and it's not by Jack London, feel free to suggest anyway. This is just a guess on my part.

I don't remember the time period in which the story took place.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4324 comments Reminded me of the fishing trip in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but that's not short story, maybe you read an excerpt?

Wren | 20 comments Ayshe wrote: "Reminded me of the fishing trip in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but that's not short story, maybe you read an excerpt?"
No, it was a complete short story. I do want to get around to reading that book, though.

Wren | 20 comments Found it:
Told in the Drooling Ward

I went through my old assignments until I found the website that my teacher assigned to us for short story assignments:
http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-sto...