Victorians! discussion

Bleak House
This topic is about Bleak House
Archived Group Reads 2018 > Bleak House: Reading Schedule/Background & Resources

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Renee M | 1995 comments Mod
Here is the schedule for Bleak House. Like a bouquet of brand new pencils! I just love the autumn! πŸ‚πŸπŸ‚πŸ

Bleak House
Wk1: Sept 2-8: Preface-Ch 11
Wk 2: Sept 9-15: Ch 12-22
Wk 3: Sept 16-22: Ch 23-33
Wk 4: Sept 23-29: Ch 34-44
Wk 5: Sept 30-Oct 6: Ch 45-55
Wk 6: Oct 7-13: 56-67
Wk 7: Oct 14-20: Final Comments and Movie Discussion

Our Discussion Leader will be Judy.

message 2: by Ginny (last edited Aug 31, 2018 01:29PM) (new) - added it

Ginny (burmisgal) | 243 comments I picked up this from the library today. Charles Dickens and the House of Fallen Women. I had never heard of Urania Cottage, but it certainly seems like it had a huge impact on Dickens' writing.
"They [the women of Urania] infiltrate themselves ...to stunning effect as they work their way into his imagination. The Urania years were the years of Dombey and Son, David Copperfield, Bleak House, Hard Times, and Little Dorrit, some of the greatest novels Dickens (or indeed anyone) ever wrote. Finding out more about Urania and its inmates threads us back through his creative landscape in new and exciting ways."

message 3: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks, Ginny!

Vics-
Please feel free to add any information on Bleak House or Charles Dickens that would support our reading. Thanks!

Brittany (Lady Red) (ladyred19) | 152 comments Thank you for the information!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 12 comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd6wv...

This, IMO< is the best free audio version to be found on YouTube. I checked a bunch of them out....of course, it is probably about 80 cents on Audible, but I actually am enjoying this YouTube reading better than the Audible that I downloaded ages ago! --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 6: by Renee, Moderator (last edited Oct 08, 2018 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The YouTube version you’ve linked is a recording done by Mil Nicholson. (I agree. She is absolutely fantastic!) She is a very talented voice actress who has enhanced the world of audiobooks by steadfastly working her way through the novels of Charles Dickens, lending her talent without payment to the LibriVox project. http://milnicholson.com/bio/

LibriVox is a community of volunteers devoted to creating recordings of books in the public domain. They are truly generous of their time and talents. However, their work does incur certain costs toward which donations can be made at www.librivox.org. There is also a LibriVox app through which their library of recordings can be accessed for free... with a very slight amount of advertising to support their work.

Unfortunately, most YouTube posts of these recordings are done through a third party who benefits from the hits & subscriptions which rightly belong to LibriVox. :(

They are convenient, though, and may make the recordings more widely accessible. I’m merely suggesting that the credit (and perhaps donation dollars) should go where it is deserved and will support the project.

It is definitely worth looking into...
www.librivox.org

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 12 comments I am behind again. I am catching up. I will update books I reading, etc hopefully soon. I am dealing with grief, etc. Life can be worst.πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ€™

message 8: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I’m so sorry to hear that, RM. I can only advise that you try not to rush the grief process. And that you try to be as kind to yourself as you are to others who are grieving.

We will be reading BH for awhile yet and you’re always welcome to continue to add to the discussion even after the group has moved on.

Positive thoughts and virtual hugs to you!

message 9: by Renee, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dear Readers of Bleak House,

Although Judy is the official Discussion Leader for this novel, I have not heard from her for several days. It is my sincerest hope that all is well with her and that she will be back with us soon.

In the meantime, I ask for your patience and understanding. I will continue to open the discussion threads each week. Please continue to share your thoughts as you read. Any discussion questions you wish to pose are also welcome.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 12 comments Renee wrote: "I’m so sorry to hear that, RM. I can only advise that you try not to rush the grief process. And that you try to be as kind to yourself as you are to others who are grieving.

We will be reading B..."

Aloha, Mahalo for your kind words and support! It is appreciate. Be well.

πŸ€™πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ