Japanese Novel and Light Novel Book Club discussion

The Rising of the Shield Hero Volume 01 (Light Novel)
Light Novels > The Rising of the Shield Hero Volume 1 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (last edited Aug 27, 2018 05:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Naofumi Iwatani, an uncharismatic Otaku who spends his days on games and manga, suddenly finds himself summoned to a parallel universe! He discovers he is one of four heroes equipped with legendary weapons and tasked with saving the world from its prophesied destruction. As the Shield Hero, the weakest of the heroes, all is not as it seems. Naofumi is soon alone, penniless, and betrayed. With no one to turn to, and nowhere to run, he is left with only his shield. Now, Naofumi must rise to become the legendary Shield Hero and save the world!

Let's read The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 1!

The Rising of the Shield Hero, Volume 1 (Light Novel) by Aneko Yusagi

Reading Schedule:

2 Sep - 8 Sep: Chapters 1 - 6
9 Sep - 15 Sep: Chapters 7 - 12
16 Sep - 17 Sep: Chapters 13 - 18
23 Sep - 29 Sep: Chapters 19 - Epilogue & Extras

Please see the spoiler below for the page numbers for each chapter. (Thanks Selena!)

(view spoiler)

Gord I've requested this from the library. Not sure if I'll get it in time though as they're still trying to acquire it.

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Ah, that's a shame! I'm lucky since this is actually a re-read for me so I've already got the (digital) book in hand. I hope your library pulls through for you. :)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments My original copy of this got soaked through with water (I believe this was my first light novel purchase ever too). T_T

But yeah, I remember enjoying it. It's the start of a series, but it has a nice, complete arc here. No sudden cliffhanger to end a volume, just a nicely wrapped ending.

I think I'm up to volume 6. One kind of major issue with the series in general is the amount of time it wastes rexplaining and reexamining story elements from past books / past chapters. But it's great for when you've taken a lot of time off without reading the series, for clueing you back in to the plot.

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Yeah, in future volumes there is certainly some repetition with the assumption that you may have forgotten details between volume releases. I could see it being frustrating if you're reading them close together. Thankfully volume 1 is the beginning so there's no recaps to be found. :)

Gord Great news! My library actually acquired this book and I'll be picking it up this weekend.

message 7: by Selena (last edited Sep 03, 2018 02:33PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1536 comments Mod
Just started (finished chapter 4), and so far... eh?

The writing is kind of meh (not sure if original author or the translator) and this "game" is extremely broken. There's no way people would have spent so much time making a class that is totally worthless. I program for a living, and anything that obviously broken would have been patched or removed in the play-testing phase.

Also, the "volunteer" to go with our Shield Hero is totally either aiming to scam him or is actually the villain getting rid of the competition. Leaning toward the latter.

I'm not impressed, but I'm hoping it'll get better. Maybe I'm just isekai'd out? What do you guys think so far?

message 8: by Terrence (last edited Sep 03, 2018 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments Fire Emblem has some characters in its series that start out relatively useless, then become RNG / Class Change gods (Donnel), so he has time to grow yet.

We'll see if the Shield Hero proves enough to be seen as useful to you after volume 1. I'd at least stick through the volume.

On the subject of balance, you guys ever heard the expression "Life is just a bad game"? It's a reference to how some see life as unbalanced (99% vs 1%) and sometimes dull compared to games they play. I've seen it pop up a few times in light novels. Maybe we can think of Shield Hero's world as another version of life, so its balance early fits. =P

Terrence wrote: "Fire Emblem has some characters in its series that start out relatively useless, then become RNG / Class Change gods (Donnel), so he has time to grow yet."

I'm going by what the other heroes said, that the shield class starts out with a good defense and then becomes useless at higher levels. This world might balance out all right, but the games designed in these alternative Japans are just too badly designed to be popular like the other heroes describe. If they screw up a basic class and don't fix it, what does that say about the game makers?

I assume he has to improve somewhat and prove himself a decent hero or else the story wouldn't be about him.

message 10: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Having poor balance is definitely bad design but it's actually quite common even in large and popular games and it's an especially prevalent problem in MMOs because they usually have a lot of classes and even small changes to skills can completely change the balance of a game.

As a few examples: (view spoiler)

Selena wrote: "Also, the "volunteer" to go with our Shield Hero is totally either aiming to scam him or is actually the villain getting rid of the competition. Leaning toward the latter."

This is a good prediction. :) Yes, that volunteer does seem rather dubious, don't they?

Rose wrote: "Having poor balance is definitely bad design but it's actually quite common even in large and popular games and it's an especially prevalent problem in MMOs because they usually have a lot of class..."

I haven't played a bunch of MMOs, so maybe I've been lucky in the few I've played. I didn't realize that many games are that badly balanced for such long periods. I figured they fixed these things fairly quickly, but maybe I'm projecting the programming I've worked on in ATMs with video game programming.

Or I'm OCD and wouldn't stop until classes were balanced if I worked on video games lol

message 12: by Selena (last edited Sep 08, 2018 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Okay, uncomfortable topic, but the book started it.

They have a character lie about sexual assault for personal gain. I hate this trope. It's beliefs like this that make it hard for women to get justice.

They could have lied and had him do anything. Steal. Cause property damage. Attempt murder. What do they go with? The thing "women are always lying about anyway" (statistically, rape is under reported and less than 2% that are reported are false reports, about the same as false reports of stealing)

I hate this trope. It's going to be hard for this book to bounce back from that for me.

Edit: sorry for ranting guys. Like I said, this stuff just makes me really upset. :(

message 13: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Don't worry, I think it's quite understandable to feel uncomfortable with the scenario presented in the book. In terms of crimes to be accused of, it could be argued that there's a reason it's a false rape claim, which is that (view spoiler) but it still doesn't excuse going there in the first place and the whole scenario could easily have been something else.

The Rising of the Shield Hero has a fair amount of controversial content in the first volume. Mild spoilers: (view spoiler)

message 14: by Selena (last edited Sep 09, 2018 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I thought of a different scenario to get to a similar point without the false rape accusation, and it took me about 20 minutes to do so. Granted, I've only just finished chapter 10, so there might be bigger consequences than I've gotten through at this point.

My scenario, in case you're curious: (view spoiler) tl;dr: Basically, diplomatic chaos instead of having someone lie about assault. Naofumi still loses everything and loses faith in humanity enough to resort to slavery.

Maybe it's just me, but many times when a book, movie, etc. uses sexual assault and/or lying about it as a theme, it's either lazy writing or a poorly-handled attempt at shock value. :-\ I can count on one hand the number of times I've read a book where that theme was handled well.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just complaining. ^^;;; There are some things I like, it just seems like the bad things are overshadowing the good for me.

I do like that the fact that none of the heroes can't work together and have to fend for themselves, and I like the attempts at intrigue between the heroes. I wish Aneko Yusagi would do more with that rivalry, but I suppose if they can't work together, it'd be difficult to interfere with each other as well. I also like the idea of the guy with the giant defense bringing monsters into the city to threaten the townsfolk. It reminds me a bit of the Corrupted Blood incident in WoW a decade or so ago. The low-level monster transport is the kind of little exploit I could see a big, complicated game missing somehow.

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments Selena wrote: "Okay, uncomfortable topic, but the book started it.

They have a character lie about sexual assault for personal gain. I hate this trope. It's beliefs like this that make it hard for women to get j..."

When this book originally released, I found the idea of having the innocent looking female character "fake sexual assault allegations" uncomfortable. After MeToo it feels much more so even.

Lots of art tries to send messages from the author to his audience, and I'm not sure his message is innocuous if it's about doubting accusers being "intelligent" and the people that want to believe out of concern "idiots". Idk. Feel like this may not fly in 2018 (be curious to see what the reception is to this in the anime).

message 16: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord I'll be starting this today and I have some concerns heading into this book. We shall see how it goes and what I discover in the pages.

message 17: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord Very early impression based off the first three chapters.

I was enjoying the vibe of the book at first. It kind of felt a bit different from other books in this genre. The source of the world being a book and essentially falling asleep to wake up in a new world. Then it essentially turned into a computer game like so many others and that was rather disappointing. I'll see where things go from here but I'm hoping for something unique.

Gord wrote: " Then it essentially turned into a computer game like so many others and that was rather disappointing. I'll see where things go from here but I'm hoping for something unique."

I'm with you there. Nothing against game-based other worlds, but I think Log Horizon did a better "the rules are the same but" form of world building. This one, I can't see why it's so determined to be a video game other than it's an easy way to explain why they're all "good" with the logic and stuff without having to give them some kind of training montage. Though, I guess that's reason enough, even if it's not satisfying for me lol

message 19: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord I've been reading some more and I'm about 120 pages into the book so far. Not sure how to explain this properly so bear with me. I'm not hating the book and I've read some of the questionable scenes mentioned before but I am a bit frustrated/disappointed/annoyed (take your pick of words). At it's core I can see an interesting idea for a story. A bit cliched but for the genre it's still rather interesting. I like the idea of a character who's sole stat is defense and has little offensive capabilities. The thing is I'm starting to feel that the author is either too lazy or doesn't have the chops to make this story truly shine. There will be a really interesting idea and I'll be interested in seeing where it goes and how it's fleshed out. Next thing you know the author falls back on a stereotype or trope to move the story forward. Great examples of that are the whole video game system of experience and what not to flesh out how things work in the world. Or the false rape claim. It felt like the author needed a way to put the hero in a real bad position and this was the quickest and easiest way to do that. I have nothing against questionable material in books and if done right can add a real punch to a story. This wasn't that. Then we have his reaction to this event. He gets burned by a few people so he becomes bitter and jaded towards the entire world because that is a normal response. Instead of taking time with the character and having him befriend someone and grow with them it's jump right to slavery. Like I said it just feels like the author doesn't know how to properly progress the story and the characters.

message 20: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord I just finished this book and for all the shade I've thrown at the book I kind of like it. It has some issues as I highlighted above but once I stepped back and stopped over analyzing it I kind of came to like it. To the point where I have actually requested the second book from the library.

Gord wrote: "I just finished this book and for all the shade I've thrown at the book I kind of like it. It has some issues as I highlighted above but once I stepped back and stopped over analyzing it I kind of ..."

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm at the 200 page mark, but I'm still on the fence.

I've heard it gets better as the series goes on, but I'm not sure this first volume has sold me enough on it yet.

message 22: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord I can see a nugget of a good idea in the book and I'm curious where it goes. I think the other thing that helped is it didn't feel like I was reading an episode of an anime. I know it has a lot of the same tropes and it is getting an anime this fall, I think, but it didn't feel like an anime.

Raven (pastexe) | 7 comments I actually started reading the novel a year (i think) ago, and am currently on the 11 book. It is a very good story and I love it!

Wolf wrote: "I actually started reading the novel a year (i think) ago, and am currently on the 11 book. It is a very good story and I love it!"

Could you tell us what you liked about this series without spoilers? I'm kind of torn on whether to continue or not, so I'd love to hear your thoughts since you're so far into it.

message 25: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments I can't speak for Wolf but I've read volumes 1 - 4 and I would say there's a definite tonal shift between volume 1 and the rest. Minor spoilers: (view spoiler)

message 26: by Raven (last edited Sep 18, 2018 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Raven (pastexe) | 7 comments Selena wrote: "Wolf wrote: "I actually started reading the novel a year (i think) ago, and am currently on the 11 book. It is a very good story and I love it!"

Could you tell us what you liked about this series ..."

Sure thing!
I I actually really like the series, but there are some annoying characters in there once in a while, and sometimes to much talking. I guess it just depends on what you like to read.
I do like the idea of getting transported to another world, kinda like SAO or re:Zero. I also like the action in the story, and some of the characters are really creative and interesting.
At my library they only have up to the 11th vol. so I would have to request all the other ones. I was also not sure if I should continue the series or not, and I decided to give it a go.
Like I said, it really depends on the person, and what you like reading for Light Novels or manga, or just other books.

The main character's action's do somewhat change over time in the story as well. I think the author was trying to make the main character have a better understanding about society and what to do in certain situations. Though, where iam at, the situation with Naofumi an Raphtalia is really annoying... but I won'y say anything..... let's just say, boy's are just boy's and sometimes they are to blind to see anything (no offence to any men here).

Thanks, Rose and Wolf! I think you've sold me on reading future volumes.

As cliche and frustrating as Rising of the Shield Hero was, I was able to get into it for long stretches of the story. At least until it reminded me why I was mad at it in the first place lol.

I thought the best parts of it were when it ignored the video game trappings of the world and did its own thing (bringing monsters around, helping the villagers instead of rushing over to the boss, etc.).

Raven (pastexe) | 7 comments Selena wrote: "Thanks, Rose and Wolf! I think you've sold me on reading future volumes.

As cliche and frustrating as Rising of the Shield Hero was, I was able to get into it for long stretches of the story. At l..."

Mhm.
Another really annoying thing is the other kids that got transported to that world. They are so arrogant and so full of themselves!!!

message 29: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments Now we're in the last week of the group read, what is everyone's impression of the main character, Naofumi? Do you think his deep anger and mistrust of the world is justified or not? And do you think he ends this book as a hero or anti-hero?

message 30: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord Nope, not at all. I get it that he was screwed over by a few people and I could justify his hatred toward those people but he went full on hate everyone and everything. It just doesn't feel like a normal or justifiable action. I might be a bit more understanding if he was a well known and respected member of the kingdom but he is an outsider known by no one. I think that peoples reaction to the rumors about him are justifiable. The king basically said that this stranger to their lands is a bad dude but we have to put up with him because he is the chosen one. Who would you listen to? Your leader or a complete and total stranger from another world? Maybe I'm overthinking it but that's my opinion.

message 31: by Terrence (last edited Jan 12, 2019 03:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments Yeah, it's completely understandable people wouldn't trust him. It takes time to build trust to begin with with people, add in allegations of misconduct, and it probably makes it nearly impossible to fully build back up in an organic way.

Some will say "innocent until proven guilty", but that only applies to a court of law. Folks are fired / forced to resign over allegations a lot. You see real life stories on TV of people charged falsely for crimes being ostracized by their communities. Fair or foul, that's the way things operate, and it's nothing new.

Have you guys seen the reaction to the Anime? Very contentious so far. Here's an article by ANN reviewing the first episode.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/prev...

message 32: by Rose (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rose (raddevlin) | 279 comments I've not seen the anime but I'm not surprised that it would be contentious to English-speakers given the controversial source material. I'd be interested to know how it's been received in Japan though.

message 33: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord *sigh* yet another show with "controversy" around it because it "offended" someone. Reading through the ANN article and there are some valid criticisms about the first book and the first episode. Some things that even I've said here in this very thread. There are also some broad and sweeping statements about the author and nerd culture as well. I know outrage or controversy is nothing new but it just seems so much louder now a days. Every week there is something that offends some one. Not enough diversity, to much diversity, not realistic enough diversity, sexism, and the list goes on and on.

message 34: by Selena (last edited Jan 21, 2019 07:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

I'd be interested to hear why you think that this isn't a controversy and why people shouldn't be offended by Shield Hero's at best poor handling of sexual assault allegations. If I misunderstood your use of quotation marks, sorry about that.

As for the "broad" assumptions about the author and nerd culture, these assumptions aren't made in a vacuum. They are assumptions, but having gone to anime conventions for years and having forgotten more anime and manga than the average anime fan has even heard of, I'm inclined to agree with the reviewer on this one. I sat through Gamer Gate coverage. I've been called a slut because I knew more about anime than someone. I was told my opinions were crap because I was really angry with a manga's using the threat of rape against a female character as a meaningless plot device (force MC to admit his feelings for her) and as joke. I've seen how fans vilified an idol for daring to have a relationship that wasn't in line with their fantasies of her.

I know I began to wonder who accused the author of something. Then I remembered that sexual assault is grossly under-reported in Japan and it was likely an overreaction to something online somewhere.

message 35: by Terrence (last edited Jan 21, 2019 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terrence (grnkrby) | 347 comments ^ Sorry that happened to you. Uhg, people can be real jerks and misogynists. =(

Frog-Kun had a good write up on why we shouldn't assume something about the author.

https://frogkun.com/2019/01/11/the-ri...

This article was on the gender defense issue (people assuming the author is a woman because the name sounds feminine, and fans arming themselves with that belief to say it somehow shuts down arguments about sexism in the book, but Frog pointed out it's a pen name likely), but Frog-Kun also followed up on Twitter, saying she personally doesn't assume anything about authors because she's been wrong in the past. That's why she likes interviews, to get to know their minds better than just what's on the page.

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1...

I personally think it's ok to speculate about why an author wrote something or where the idea came from, but you gotta walk that fine line between speculation and accusatory statements or statements as a fact. Although, as someone else pointed out, there are some authors whose works already cross a line over interpretation into outright propaganda and nationalism views, so then it becomes a little easier to say "this is who they are / this is their belief" there. It's a very tricky situation.

^ Thank you for sharing Frog-kun's blog post. I didn't know that bit with the name at all. I had assumed male because content of the book, but she made a good point about not assuming things about the author's personal life from their works alone.

I still think the controversy is well deserved in this case and that this representation was, intentionally or not, pretty sexist, but I will try to do better on not assuming author intent unless it's obvious. :)

message 37: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord Bear with me as I have many thoughts bouncing around inside this old dome of mine and they might not all come out as eloquently as they were upstairs. That and I'm trying to piece together ideas for two completely different things at the same time.

I've read the first light novel and watched the first episode of Shield Hero and I just don't understand the outrage. It's a false rape accusation made by someone in a position of power with the backing of other people of power. It's not the first time I've read a false claim in a book (rape, murder, theft, what ever) and I highly doubt it will be the last. It might not be written the best but when did having to be a literary masterpiece become a requirement to use controversial material? There are lots of other stories that have much controversial elements both in the world of anime/manga/light novels as well as in other mediums that get little to no controversy. Now I'll freely admit that I don't go looking for this controversy so it might exist out there somewhere. I hear about stuff like Shield Hero and Goblin Slayer because it becomes so big and unavoidable. Now I understand there are several social elements at play here. More support to believe survivors of sexual assault, the #metoo movement, etc. I just don't see the need or understand the outrage. No where in the anime or the light novel do I see it implying that false rape accusation never happen. I don't see the author or the director sitting there evilly rubbing there hands together planning on discrediting women the world over. It's an event to get the main character from point A to point B while setting up tension and an antagonist for the hero. It's not that much different than a person getting murdered in a murder mystery. Someone gets killed, it sets up the plot, creates tension, and provides the hero with an antagonist.

In regards to the broad sweeping accusations part of the conversation I just don't see how making broad statements like that helps anyone. Are there issues in fandoms and society in general? Yes, for sure but making broad sweeping accusations doesn't help change things. It just makes people more defensive. You've been called a slut for liking anime/manga, I've been indirectly called a pedophile for being over 30 at an anime convention by myself. Your example of male fans vilifying an idol for dating could just as easily be female fans and some boy band group. Should things change? Sure but sitting there and saying well your a male/female and I saw another male/female do something I don't agree with so you must all be like that doesn't lead to change. If someone came up to you and said you kicked puppies because I saw another women kick a puppy I'm sure you would be pretty annoyed.

Sorry if I started to ramble a bit. I'm just an old fart who doesn't understand the world around him anymore. Which is rather scary as I'm only in my mid 30's. I'd be interested in seeing your response.

Gord wrote: "I'd be interested in seeing your response."

I wrote a wall of text in response and have it saved off for reviewing and editing. I don't want to come across as a jerk or expose you to too much background radiation of my life. :)

The long and short of it is that the false accusation itself is problematic, but a lot of the stuff surrounding it with how the accusation is portrayed and the portrayal of the female main characters are what I consider the controversial stuff.

message 39: by Selena (last edited Jan 24, 2019 06:48PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

There's a lot to unpack, but I'll do my best. I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is how I see things and it's been simmering a while. Also, strong language warning when I attempt to describe comments I've seen by incels and MGTOW people (yes, they're getting pulled into this too because it's relevant to how I feel).

On it's own, the false accusation would have made me mad, but I probably would have just moved on. Eventually. After griping a lot about how I could write a better plot device (see my alternate scenario that I thought up in about 20 minutes) and how it's super unrealistic that everyone would believe the accusation because let's face it, reality sucks and women get death threats and need to move and/or to hire private security if they come forward. The number of unreported rapes is MUCH higher than false accusations, especially in Japan, where reporting rates are dismal. So it's kind of different than using other crimes (murder, theft, etc.) as a plot device to get the ball rolling.

There are some who say that violence in video games and comic books affect behavior IRL, to the point where there are laws in some places about depicting violence against children in movies and TV series. There's something to say for normalization of certain views (even if the violence in media causing violence IRL link is a little shaky), and with the media, large and vocal communities on the internet, etc. already convinced that all women are out to ruin the lives of law-abiding men, having yet another outlet for that belief is problematic. Women don't usually lie about sexual assault (2% reported were found to be false, similar to other crimes), and yet we have police departments nicknaming themselves "the lying bitches unit".

It's especially a problem when you consider other details about this false accusation. Maybe because I spend too much time on the subreddits "Not How Girls Work" and "Bad Women's Anatomy," but I see a lot of similarities in this fantasy false accusation to the conspiracy theories Incels and MGTOW folks spread. You've got a woman who has more power and status than our nice guy protagonist who ruins his life by lying for no other reason than that she's a lying slut (more on the "lying slut" bit later). Everyone believes her despite the obviousness of her lie (her sticking out her tongue at him in full view of a lot of people, the fact that she could have nuked him because she's a WAAAAAY higher level than him and a magic user, the fact that anyone with two brain cells to rub together would have asked the inn keeper how much he had to drink because of her story, etc.). Because in the incel conspiracy, everyone believes the woman and ruins some guy's life without a shred of evidence in their minds (even if there is evidence), even though those men still end up on the supreme court or get maybe 3 months jail time when caught in the act of raping someone. But you know, conspiracy and all women are lying.

The other problematic thing is that there are two main female characters who also eerily fit into the virgin/whore dichotomy tropes. We've got Raphtalia, the "perfect woman" (a child slave who can't refuse orders with the body of a grown woman who is a "natural beauty" (even if she would need lots of make up to achieve that look IRL) that falls in love with the MC despite him pretty much treating her with less affection than I do my cat) and Myne, the "lying evil bitch harpy" (lies about assault to ruin the nice guy MC's life and to get him killed, has more power both socially and physically than male MC, wears red lipstick (a lot of internet men also claim make up is "lying"), uses sex appeal to get her way, sells rivals into sexual slavery (implied in a bonus story), steals stuff from the hardworking male MC, wears revealing clothing, etc). It's like an incel check list, and that's really disturbing. Raphtalia shows a little more dimension as a character in her back story and her mind grows to match her body (I can't remember if this was explicitly stated or implied), which is the reason I'm going to give the second volume a chance, but Myne is still the one-dimensional bitch in the incel dichotomy by the end of volume 1. In fact, it's double-downed on with the bonus story.

Add in the fact that we see the rest of the story through the eyes of a guy who views all women as liars taking advantage of men and only keeps Raphtalia around because she's a slave who can't betray him (and he's convinced she would if given the chance), and those views are also eerily similar to incel rants I've read.

tl;dr, on it's own, a false accusation is problematic but not particularly controversial (to me). It's a lot of the other stuff on top of the false accusation that elevates this to the level of controversial.

tl;dr on the tl;dr: Women put up with A LOT. Especially on the internet. That's why a lot of us got mad at this.

The writing was still decent, the story itself was probably about average despite its faults, and future volumes that could expand on Raphtalia (and hopefully add more female characters that aren't walking tropes), which are plus sides to this mess. This first volume just has problems. :-\

And I'm sorry for the wall of text. This is what happens when I overthink things and try to explain stuff. I end up going back into college paper mode. ^^;;;

message 40: by Gord (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gord Alright I'm going to give a quick surface reply and when I'm not as tired or spaced out I'll come back and read this again.

We are definitely seeing this scene from much different points of view. Maybe it's because I'm naive or maybe my view of things is just too simple but I just don't see the same thing as you in that scene. Now I'm not saying your wrong and I know that those view points exist out there, as saddening as that is, but how do we know if this is what the author intended? How do we know that the writer didn't have writers block and this is what they came up with? Or they were influenced by something else and wanted to put their own spin on it? The authors intent versus how it is viewed by the person consuming the medium is a huge question. Which one is correct? I don't think it's an unrealistic thing to say that anyone could find something controversial with anything. There were parents, and still are, who are convinced that things like D&D or Harry Potter were created to induct their child into the world of the occult and devil worship. I highly doubt though that JK Rowling or Gary Gygax had that intent when creating these things. Are the parents more correct than the original creators?

The other thing I want to touch on is the reaction of those that find fault or take issue with something. Why is there the need to vilify those that don't share that point of view? Again I'm not saying that everyone partakes in this or that you are it just goes back to that original article from ANN. Why vilify all those that are enjoying the show? Who don't share the same view point or might not see it the same as you? To be fair there is an equal and unjust reaction from the other side as well. Negative opinions, comments, etc. Unfortunately at times escalating to death threats. I just do not understand the need for death threats from any one over such trivial things.

I'll be honest I'm rather enjoying this discussion we are having and it's helping me see things from a different angle even if I don't fully agree. I want to ponder things a bit and at some point I want to just touch on how I see things in the novel that you brought up.