Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Connie Mason
This topic is about Connie Mason
Discussions and Questions > Authors who prefer quantity of love scenes over plot?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments I have been reading Cassie Edwards and Connie Mason recently and I think I like this "threadbare plot with loads of sex" formula. I have read few of Bertrice Small's books and they too were similarly formulaic but were more tedious than Edwards and Mason's work.

Any authors in the vein of Ms. Mason and Ms. Edwards who used sex scenes pretty frequently in their books?

Thanks,
Simona

message 2: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 112 comments If you like pnr, Christine Feehan is notorious for this.

message 3: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments Thanks Katie. I will check her out. As long as it is not about vampires, I am fine with giving a chance to PNR series. Do recommend other authors too as you find them. I know I could easily read smut/erotica but I'm looking for authors who wrote HISTORICAL romances.

message 4: by Mel (new)

Mel (bookhorder) | 203 comments Susan Johnson - Sinful is pretty good.

message 5: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments Susan Johnson is good, but I struggled with the lack of plot in most of her works. Connie Mason is a far more balanced author. I also love Gaelen Foley and Elizabeth Hoyt. Sherry Thomas is good, as is Tracy Anne Warren.

My absolute favorite is still Robin Schone. She has so much steamy sex that my fingers burned on the pages, but manages such wonderful plots that I find myself re-reading her works because I miss them.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Lynne Connolly's "Emperors of London" Series.

I have read the first three books and the last that I read, Danger Wears White had on page sex scene after sex scene.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Simona wrote: "I have been reading Cassie Edwards and Connie Mason recently and I think I like this "threadbare plot with loads of sex" formula. I have read few of Bertrice Small's books and they too were similar..."

Have you tried any Historic Erotic Romance (HER)? This genre fits the bill and the sex is considered racier that "regular" HR.

message 8: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Lynne Connolly's "Emperors of London" Series.

I have read the first three books and the last that I read, Danger Wears White had on page sex scene after sex scene."

I am going to read this one next! I've been trying to slug through some of Carole Mortimer's works, but she's been so darned boring.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 445 comments Caroline,

I just checked 'Zon to see if it is lendable. It is not. I was all ready to lend it.

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolineadair) | 116 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Caroline,

I just checked 'Zon to see if it is lendable. It is not. I was all ready to lend it."

I found a copy of it, but thank you! Oh, and omg, I just read The Power and the Passion. That was so messed up that I couldn't put it down. I thought for sure that was going to be one dead heroine.

message 11: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments Caroline wrote: "Susan Johnson is good, but I struggled with the lack of plot in most of her works. Connie Mason is a far more balanced author. I also love Gaelen Foley and Elizabeth Hoyt. Sherry Thomas is good, as..."

Thanks Caroline. Your suggestions are exactly what I'm looking for, authors with good name recognition among romance community who write good number of detailed sex scenes in their books. Primarily I'm looking for frequent love making in books by authors of bodice-ripper era (1980-99) and early 2000s. They don't necessarily have to be all good. I simply got tired of reading needless separation dramas and only one love scene, mostly in the last pages, in contemporary genre.

I also agree with you about Mortimer's works. Even though she has written many books around May-December trope, one of my favorite tropes, I couldn't find myself wishing to pick one because of low sensuality and physical intimacy in her work.

message 12: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Have you tried any Historic Erotic Romance (HER)? This genre fits the bill and the sex is considered racier that "regular" HR. "

I do like HER but haven't found someone established in that genre I'd always read no matter the reviews. HERs are good enough for me but what I'm specifically looking for, it seems, are medieval, viking and highlander period Historicals which are generally steamier and racier than regency and victorian era Historicals. . I am presently in love with the idea of a conquering knight marauding the fort and conquering the virgin heiress heart and body through ravishment. These books don't have needless details about ballrooms, gowns and gardens but are more about practicality of heroine's situation. She loves her home but to keep it she has to surrender herself to the conquering hero. The relationships are more primal. Hence, the Lynne Connolly series doesn't seem like a good fit for me.

message 13: by Missy (on hiatus) (last edited Aug 17, 2018 09:46PM) (new)

Missy (on hiatus) | 33 comments I recently read Fire's Tender Kiss by Patricia Pellicane Fire's Tender Kiss by Patricia Pellicane and remembered thinking while reading, "Wow. Another sex scene? But they just had sex in the last chapter!"

message 14: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments Thanks Missy. I'm looking for books just like that. I'd rather have a lot of sex scenes in the middle of the book than the usual stuff authors use which often makes the story lag.

Missy (on hiatus) | 33 comments I would like to know the books you've been reading by Connie Mason and Cassie Edwards.

message 16: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments Currently reading The Lion's Bride.
Recently read A Knight's Honor, Island Rapture, Savage Spirit.

I read some of their books before I became active here.

Missy (on hiatus) | 33 comments The Lion's Bride is on my TBR list. :)

message 18: by KatieV (new)

KatieV | 112 comments Sorry, didn't pay attention to the forum as I follow different group threads. Feehan did write a couple of historicals which I enjoyed, but they weren't the sex fest her more recent books are.

Some of the older Johanna Lindsey books maybe? Fires of Winter, Prisoner of My Desire, Silver Angel. But, you are correct, it is hard to avoid a separation, misunderstanding,etc.

message 19: by Simona (new)

Simona (simonaw) | 36 comments Don't worry Katie. I got splendid suggestions that'll take months for me to get through.

message 20: by Blue Falcon (new)

Blue Falcon (oldskoolromancenovelreader) | 4 comments Simona wrote: "Currently reading The Lion's Bride.
Recently read A Knight's Honor, Island Rapture, Savage Spirit.

I read some of their books before I bec..."

"Savage Spirit" was quite good. It is also part of a technically 32 book series. (Note: although some books are related to each other, the only connection between most of the books in the "Savage" series is the word "Savage" in the title). Check Goodreads as they are all listed here.

I own all of Cassie Edwards' Native American romances, and to me, Mrs. Edwards is the definitive "threadbare plot with loads of sex" author. I will write more on this when I review more of Mrs. Edwards' books.

message 21: by Blondie (new)

Blondie (blonde76) | 86 comments I just sent you a friend request so you can look at my shelves HER is my favorite genre so I have a lot but they are some books that aren't for everybody