Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Multi-Format, Multi-Platform Distribution

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Got a possibly complex question for all you experts. Kathleen and I are winding down our little publishing company and are in talks with another publisher who is interested in taking over our imprint. Once that's done, I intend to continue self-publishing my own works under a new imprint.

Currently we use Adobe InDesign to create PDF and epub files. I convert epub to mobi with Kindle Previewer, then I distribute ebooks on Amazon and B&N using KDP and Nook Press tools. (This is just a matter of uploading the files and entering the publication and pricing data.)

For print books, we've always gone through a local printer. The problem with that is, first, we must pay for the print runs, and second, it's harder to distribute through Amazon & B&N than if we used their print book creation tools. Amazon would charge us shipping and an annual fee to carry print books, plus insists on a 55% discount. Because of this, we have never sold print books through Amazon. B&N is easier financially, since they will accept a 40% discount and will pay shipping costs, but their processes are a bit cumbersome. It can take months to get a title set up through them, and their payment system is annoyingly slow.

So I want to at least consider other ways to get print books out into the world. The key requirements would be:

(1) Books must be published under my own imprint and my own ISBNs.

(2) The system should import a print-ready PDF. I don't want to set up the same book separately for every print outlet, nor do I want to allow the distributor's software to create a print book from an ebook file (epub or mobi). From what I've seen, books created via such automated conversions often look like the typographer was on vacation. (However, I'm willing to consider them if there are ways to control the layout to achieve professional-looking results.)

What would you suggest? Thank you!

message 2: by Connie (new)

Connie Huddleston (conniemhuddleston) | 1 comments I suggest IngramSpark. They are the distributor for bookstores and libraries. I actually have all of my print books, except one, on both Amazon and IngramSpark. I wait for one of their free upload codes to avoid their fees for uploads. Set up is easy. It is my understanding that they will post to Amazon.

message 3: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Connie wrote: "I suggest IngramSpark. They are the distributor for bookstores and libraries. I actually have all of my print books, except one, on both Amazon and IngramSpark. I wait for one of their free upload ..."

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Anyone else?

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread