Play Book Tag discussion

3,096 Days
This topic is about 3,096 Days
Archive: Other Books > 3,096 Days / Natascha Kampusch. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9056 comments 3,096 Days / Natascha Kampusch
4 stars

Natascha Kampusch was 10 years old in 1998 when, walking to school alone for the first time, she was grabbed and thrown into a white delivery van. She was kept prisoner, mostly in a “dungeon” underground in her kidnapper’s house for 8 years before she escaped.

This is the first kidnapping story that I remember being so blown up in the media. (Sadly, there have been a number of them since). For those who are squeamish about sex/rape, she leaves this out; it doesn’t actually sound like there was a lot of that, anyway. There is plenty of physical abuse, though.

It is a translation, so there is the occasional awkward phrase or sentence, but I was certainly interested in her story. I think it gave a really good insight into how dependent she was on her kidnapper, especially since she was with him during those formative years between the ages of 10 and 18, and why she might have mixed feelings towards him. I feel so badly that she was not always treated well after she escaped due to those mixed feelings towards her former captor.

Something interesting about this book that I’ve not seen before (though I don’t have a Smartphone, so couldn’t take advantage of them) were the QR codes for more information at the end of each chapter. The book was published in 2010, so it’s possible the codes may not work anymore. However, as with many true crime stories I read, I had to look up more information online to find out how she’s been doing since the book was published.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! I have not heard of this story so I just looked it up. She owns the home where she was kept hostage for all those years because it was a part of her formative years. No judgment here, I am only curious and have so many questions. The fact that he brought her books so she could educate herself and that she is so well-spoken leaves me with more questions! This is a curious story, from both sides of the spectrum. Does this book go into the background of Přiklopil at all? I have so many questions that I may have to read this book now.
By the way, great review! You had me so curious that I immediately began researching her.

message 3: by LibraryCin (last edited Aug 16, 2018 08:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

LibraryCin | 9056 comments Rachel wrote: "Wow! I have not heard of this story so I just looked it up. She owns the home where she was kept hostage for all those years because it was a part of her formative years. No judgment here, I am onl..."

I can't remember now if she mentioned it at the end of her book or if I read it online. She didn't want the house to be bought by some weirdo who revered it because she was kept in the dungeon underneath it for so long!

No, it doesn't really say much about him.

And thank you. I guess, last year, she also came out with a follow up book called 10 Years of Freedom. I'd like to read it, as well, but my library doesn't have it, so I'll have to see how easy it might be for them to get via ILL (at some point).

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

LibraryCin wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Wow! I have not heard of this story so I just looked it up. She owns the home where she was kept hostage for all those years because it was a part of her formative years. No judgment..."

I read where she is having the cellar or basement filled in because so much took place down there. I did read where she has the house for that reason and it makes sense to me. But wow, what a brave and strong woman. I am fascinated by her story.

LibraryCin | 9056 comments Rachel wrote: "I read where she is having the cellar or basement filled in because so much took place down there. ..."

Yes, I read that, as well.