What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Wizard of 4th Street (Wizard, #1)
This topic is about The Wizard of 4th Street
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. fantasy novel with Merlin probably written in the late 70's or 80's [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Aug 17, 2009 03:27PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Ok, this was a series. It starts with Merlin finally breaking his prision bonds (I think there was something about an Oak but, not positive) and setting out the help save the world--again. I know that the book had the word "Wizard" in the title, but since I tried to do a search on Amazon with Wizard, well, about 700 pages or so popped up (over 100k hits on the word Wizard.) It was something like The Wizard of Soho Or something similar but that was not the title. The problem/great thing about Goodreads is--I find myself remembering all these GREAT books that I read untol eons ago and wanting to put them into my "read" pile, but then I can't remember the title, who wrote them or when they were written. :o) I really liked this series, of which I know there were more than 2 or 3. Possibly as many as 5 or 6. And Wizard was in all the titles. Sigh, not a lot of help, right?

Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) First...this reminds me of the Merlin series on TV....second of all....is it the Quest for Camelot series or something.

Lol...Naruto Rocks! (Katelyn, Haku.) http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15... this...if you type in Merlin...there are merlin series books.

message 4: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments This sounds like it might be it. Plus, it sounds like the kinda stuff you read, Ann, what with the sci-fi spin and all.

Simon Hawke's Wizard Series

THE WIZARD OF 4TH STREET (1987)

THE WIZARD OF WHITECHAPEL (1988)

THE WIZARD OF SUNSET STRIP (1989)

THE WIZARD OF RUE MORGUE (1990)

THE SAMURAI WIZARD (1991)

THE WIZARD OF SANTA FE (1991)

THE NINE LIVES OF CATSEYE GOMEZ (1992)

THE WIZARD OF CAMELOT (1993)

THE WIZARD OF LOVECRAFT'S CAFE (1993)

THE LAST WIZARD (1997)

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I found this series too--the problem is--there is no synopsis of the books. I went to Amazon and found a vendor who had one listed for sale and sent them an email asking if they'd send me a synopsis. So far, no response. It was a series I enjoyed greatly way back when, and I am hoping to find it again.

message 6: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Something about a jewel thief...lemme look.

message 7: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments The Wizard of Fourth Street introduced us to the second thaumaturgical age (read: magic is back and doing fine), which was started when some poor fool went into one of the last stands of trees in an ecologically ravaged England and took a swing at the one in which Merlin Ambrosius had been imprisoned for the better part of a thousand years, freeing him and bringing magic back to the world. Merlin is directly descended from the Old Ones -- a race of relative immortals who could use magic and dominated the primitive human "animals" living around them. And here's the crunch. Merlin isn't the only Old One left. The Dark Ones, necromancers who use the life force of humans to power their spells, are trapped in an ancient tomb in the Euphrates Valley and, lo and behold, along comes a perfectly timed archaeologist to let them escape.

The lock on the tomb was a trio of gemstones cut with runes, which also disappear. This is where our main characters enter the scene. Wyrdrune, Kira and Mordred -- yes that Mordred, he's part immortal, too -- wind up with the stones magically bonded to them, giving them the immense power of the Council of White, a group of Old Ones who sacrificed themselves in the war that led to the entombment of their enemy: the Dark Ones. It's up to this trio to hunt down all the necromancers before they can unleash a brutal killing frenzy that will leave them once again dominant over humankind. So, through each book the trio put out nasty necromantic fires in places like Whitechapel, Santa Fe (Hawke's home town) and Tokyo...

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Yes, yes, yes--that's IT. :o) Thanks for finding that Michelle M. Now to start hunting for the books again. I've got grandkids to bring up "properly" (i.e. on mysteries, biographies, scifi, fantasy and PN)

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Well, I checked and at least one of the books hasn't been shelved as children's/ya, so I'm putting this in the adult solved folder. Please let me know if that is incorrect. Thanks.

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Yay! Glad to help!

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I don't believe that when these were written they were meant to be YA. I think they were just fantasy. So adult solved works for me. Thanks again guys.

PS I'm TRYING to spread out my "lost book" requests a bit, so that you all don't get tired of seeing me. :o)

message 13: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) | 57 comments Bring em on, Ann! Love a challenge!

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Oh Ann, Post them all! That way all our members can be remembering or searching right away.

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I list them as I think of them--my grandson's are hitting 11 and 13 in 2 months (there's 23 days between their birthdays) and I am listing them as I think of books that they might like. And yes, I AM bringing them up as readers. Their mother and father are also both readers. Their Mum was reading at 3, and was probably the only kid in pre-school who's Granddad read her Shakespeare as a bedtime story when she went to visit them.

message 16: by Angela (last edited Mar 21, 2010 07:13AM) (new)

Angela | 62 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "I found this series too--the problem is--there is no synopsis of the books. I went to Amazon and found a vendor who had one listed for sale and sent them an email asking if they'd send me a synops..."

I found synopsis for most of the books:

The Wizard of 4th Street:
Wyrdrune is a student wizard with a penchant for botching spells when he meets Kira, a street-wise cutie, at an auction for the mysterious and powerful Euphrates rune stones. But he has no idea, when he tries to steal them, that the stones have already chosen him for a great adventure.

The Wizard of Whitechapel:
Student wizard Wyrdrunne and street-wise Kira share a telepathic dream that calls them to England to save Camelot's last survivor. United with a shady French witch, a 300-pound fairy and a feisty English punk, this unlikely team must prevail over the awesome, ancient power stalking London.

Wizards of Sunset Strip:
In this sequel to the popular Wizard of Whitechapel, Wydrune the Warlock must stop the Dark Ones who are turning Hollywood into a fantasy land of eternal horror. Accompanied by his strange band of friends, Wydrune searches for a murderous devil plaguing Tinseltown.

The Samurai Wizard:
Akiro Katayama, a sorcerer agent who solves crimes involving magic in twenty-third century Japan, enlists Japan's greatest wizard and a streetwise homicide detective to help him find out who is responsible for a series of murders of women.

Wizard of Santa Fe:
Magic returns to New Mexico, but when evil forces try to take advantage and turn Santa Fe into a ghost town, Wydrune employs his students to help him prevent the Dark Ones from stealing souls.

Nine Lives of Catseye Gomez:
When an ambitious young television journalist is killed by a car bomb, Gomez the feline detective pursues all the clues, as well as the victim's sexy calico.

Wizard of Camelot:
Here, at last, is the story of how the Wizard series began, when Merlin returns to become the Wizard of 4th Street and lead the world out of the second dark age ...As anarchy rages in the ruins of Earth, Tom Malory battles urban rioters and encounters Merlin, history's greatest wizard, who has returned to Earth to save humanity. Original.

The Wizard of Lovecraft's Cafe:
In order to survive a necromantic ambush, the mystic Runestones merge Wyrdrune the bumbling warlock, cockney kid Billy Slade, immortal king Gorlois, deadly Mordred, and the great Merlin into one being.

The Last Wizard:
In the conclusion to the best-selling Wizard of 4th Street series, an unlikely alliance of three avatars, supported by the entire U.S. military of the future, faces the strongest and most dangerous of necromancers, the Dark Ones.