Archive: Other Books > Field Guide to Candy: 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Field Guide to Candy by Anita Chu

Field Guide to Candy, Anita Chu

★ ★ ★ ★

The sub-title says it all...

Unlike baking, you just mix the ingredients, shove them in an over and walk away until the timer goes off. It takes time, diligence, & a whole lot of practice

I found almost everything here from marzipan to licorice, peanut brittle to marshmallow, dipped chocolates to molded chocolates, truffles to covered fruit, molded chocolate to taffy, gummies to pixi-stix, horehound drops to peppermints, as well as favorites from other countries.

Contents include: Introduction, candy making tools, ingredients, working w/ chocolate, working w/ sugar, & icon key w/ a full section of color photos (which I would have preferred next to the corresponding recipe)

Chapters: ALL Things Chocolate; Fruits & Jellies; Sugary Sweet; Creamy, Sticky, & Chewy; Nutty; and Fun and Simple Classics.

The book is small but it has everything you need/want to know about making candy. I'm amazed, but there is so much work in making candy, I'll let others do it for me or go to See's

message 2: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments This sounds fun! I've always wanted to try making candy (I'm not really sure why) but I never have I guess because I read some recipes and it sounded hard.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Magdalena wrote: "This sounds fun! I've always wanted to try making candy (I'm not really sure why) but I never have I guess because I read some recipes and it sounded hard."

I think it's more than hard, having to take care of cooking times & temps & cooling & reheating & ingredients....

I'm going to pass

message 4: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Yeah, I have neither time or good enough kitchen at the moment but I do think this is interesting. I had completely forgotten candy.

message 5: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 252 comments Through the Popsugar reading challenge I've discovered the Microhistory genre and this sounds like a delightful little book to add to my ever-growing TBR!