2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
This topic is about Murder in Little Italy
Murder in Little Italy > Question F

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Stereotypes abound in this era with respect to Irish and Italian immigrants. The same attitudes appear to be pervasive today. Why do you think that is?

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Aug 25, 2018 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Yes, I really noticed the racist attitudes and animosity between them in the book before last as well (the one where the Irish priest refused to help the Italian girl, IIRC).

As to why these attitudes are pervasive even today, unfortunately, it is human nature to hate and fear "the other" and to want to adhere to one's own social group for protection. It is truly awful that people can't accept those who are different from them and it has led to some of the greatest atrocities. I'm afraid that we as humans are not learning from the past and are doomed to repeat it.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
I fear you’re right, Lauren. My hope is that what we’re currently experiencing is going to take a turn back in the right direction. Too few are feeling comfortable these days.