Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo
Book Issues > Tolkien (translation) book not coming up in search for Tolkien

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 5 comments Search for "Tolkien" does not bring up https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6... even though Tolkien is the translator and is mentioned on the listing. Is there something wrong with the search parameter, or does Tolkien need to be listed elsewhere in this book?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 15, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

rivka | 45493 comments Mod
The search does not always find secondary authors.

There is nothing librarians can do about that.

However, it does seem odd that Tolkien is listed as the translator on so many editions, including ones in other languages. Is that correct?

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

And this search is finding the book just fine: https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=to...

message 4: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 163 comments rivka wrote: "However, it does seem odd that Tolkien is listed as the translator on so many editions, including ones in other languages."

Well if the original poems are in medieval English, the translators have probably used Tolkien's modern English translations as a basis for their own translation. I doubt many of them know old English well enough.

message 5: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily | 5 comments Yes, it was just the general "Tolkien" search that was failing in "My Books" even though I have the book in My Books / on my list of read / owned books. If I searched "Tolkien" in My Books, I got all other books I own with Tolkien as the author, but it appears it wasn't searching translators. If that's a known issue with secondary authors, then thanks / question closed.

Rivka, yes Tolkien did a lovely translation of this much older / Old English work, and his translation from Old English into Modern English was then translated to other languages.

Abcdarian | 23446 comments In some of them the translation is of Tolkien's translation, rather than the original. His is considered pretty definitive. There was one German edition where the translation was from the original (I corrected), but there was a Tolkien essay included.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Searches in "My Books" definitely do not find secondary authors. (General searches sometimes do and sometimes do not.)