Project Mayhem discussion

The Media Center > What do you think about Accuracy?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molly (last edited Mar 08, 2008 08:04PM) (new)

Molly (mollyhell) What do you think about accuracy in the media, INCLUDING entertainment?

I personally think that the American public is so stupid that if you show them a show set in the past, like say, Braveheart, they just accept that it is historically accurate.

Braveheart, of course, stupidly wasn't. But I am betting the majority of people who saw it thought it was. And I think that dumbs down the populace.

I saw 10,000 B.C. (STFU, we always go to movies on Fridays, and everything else started too late!) and it was of course wildly historically inaccurate. But I am betting some people in the audience didn't even question sabertooth tigers, woolly mammoths, egyptian pyramids, and agriculture all together on screen at all.

And that scares me.

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (pheephyphophum) | 176 comments Mod
LOL, well was it a good movie at least? I was thinking about checking it out.

You're sooo right, lol. I bet people think that prehistoric people had cars made of stone with holes in the bottom for your feet.

message 3: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyhell) LOL Sophia! They probably do. The movie was pretty dumb, even though they tried to make it "like a myth". But I lernded neet things about the past: every1 had dredlocks. And Egyptians were ruled by white guys in mosquito netting!! But the lead guy was cute.

I have never watched Network all the way through Sparky. I need to!

message 4: by Sophia (new)

co-sign Molly cuz I'M MAD AS HELL!!! lol

Well, not really... I'm a pretty calm person I'd like to think

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I heard that there are several reasons for our decreasing bee population. some kind of mite, is one of the theories.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Oh, and as to the original post--hell yeah. We believe what we hear. And it's not always because we're too gullible to believe otherwise (though I often find myself disgusted at the overwhelming stupidity of American people). Some study or other showed that people inadverdetnly turn fiction into fact sometimes. Example: An advertisement shows 10 myths about such-n-such. Well, evidently, if you ask people several weeks later to recite some facts about "such-n-such" they will spout off a bunch of myths that they read in the ad. Of course they're not doing it on purpose, it's just that their brains transposed fact and fiction. Freaky man. I wonder how many lies I believe are actually true. yikes...

message 9: by Sophia (new)

I know, Amanda! I feel the same way. I try to be as loose with my preconceptions as possible, but it is difficult. But when you do find real truth, you realize it's real because it can be malleable in your mind but still intact....like, I know that I am real because I exist, but if we turned out to be living in someone's dream or in the Matrix or something, I'd like to believe that I can associate my realness with my new concept of what existence would mean at that point. You got all that? lol

But the bee thing...yeah, from what I've been reading on it (and check out that lady's blog...amazing) it is definitely the pesticides, the mites (they aren't on Australian bees until they're imported here...weird huh?), the stress (they rent out the hives and ship them all over the place to pollinate major crops), but did you know that honey is the bee's food and most bee farmers, especially non-organic ones, take all of the honey and replace it with cheap high-fructose corn syrup. I think there are too many contributing factors to name really...but they all have a part, I'm sure.

All I know is....watch a trailer for "The Happening"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOUHJd...

M Night is on his shit! That's gonna be a MeetUp event...go see it on the day it comes out so we can talk about it, lol. (Even though it probably won't have anything to do with a real or plausible scenario - should be fun)

lot of ()'s there....lol