What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Museum of Kitschy Stitches: A Gallery of Notorious Knits
This topic is about The Museum of Kitschy Stitches
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Humorous coffee table book about bad vintage knitting patterns. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosa (last edited Aug 17, 2018 01:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5232 comments I thought this would be easy to find, but it has not been. I saw this newish book 2-4 years ago in a local book-and-records store. It was in the James Lileks vein of whacking (hilariously) the artifacts of the defenseless past, in this case funny, very ugly, or ridiculous old knitting patterns. Flipping through it, I saw a pattern from the 70's with a photo of two young women wearing the VERY short, kelly green knitted hot pants that it made, outdoors in a park. The author of the book noted, "Those are not shorts, those are underwear."
It did not include the patterns themselves, just the photos on the packets, and commentary.
Thank you!

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa M. | 5 comments I love books having to do with knitting. Do you recall the name of books or author.

message 3: by Rosa (last edited Nov 04, 2018 09:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5232 comments If I did, altar ego, I wouldn't be here.

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4323 comments I love knitting, I love knitting patterns humor, too :)

The Museum of Kitschy Stitches: A Gallery of Notorious Knits by Stitchy McYarnpants maybe? Are those (in the second picture): http://yarnpants.com/the-museum-of-ki... the “mini shorts”/“underwear” you remember?

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4323 comments Here are some images from inside the book: http://arinavarga.blogspot.com/2010/0...

message 7: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1226 comments And once again Ayshe surpasses me. I just plop my guess out there. Ayshe finds interior pictures showing exactly what was described and still beats me by a minute! ;-)

message 8: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4323 comments I probably noticed the topic earlier - when I saw "knitting" in the group discussions I had to click :) I tried to find inside pictures because the amazon preview has some patterns and I became doubtful if it is match.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5232 comments Ayshe wrote: "I love knitting, I love knitting patterns humor, too :)

The Museum of Kitschy Stitches: A Gallery of Notorious Knits by Stitchy McYarnpants maybe? Are those (in the s..."

YES! Boy, you’re wonderful, Ayshe. (Is it wrong for me to actually like those green mini-shorts?)

message 10: by Rosa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5232 comments Adele wrote: "And once again Ayshe surpasses me. I just plop my guess out there. Ayshe finds interior pictures showing exactly what was described and still beats me by a minute! ;-)"

Thank you too, Adele. I really don’t know why I couldn’t find this book. How did you find it?

message 11: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4323 comments Rosa wrote: "Is it wrong for me to actually like those green mini-shorts?..."

No, it's not. I have pictures of things to knit/crochet that might be way more ridiculous on my old computer. :)

message 12: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1226 comments Rosa wrote:

Thank you too..."

I did an advanced search on worldcat.org with keywords knitting and humor. I love worldcat. :-D . Glad it was the right book!