Robert McCammon discussion

Baal
This topic is about Baal
What shall we be reading > Robert McCammon Challenge, Book #1 - Baal

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments This is the thread for Book #1 of the Robert McCammon Challenge, Baal. Let's get a good discussion going and start this challlenge off with a bang. Remember to alway use spoiler tags and page/percentage markers.

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments I've also linked this discussion in the Horror Aficionados group and vice versa. I know that many of us are in both groups and the whole idea is to get a great discussion with as many people as possible going. If you'd like to join in with the discussion on HA, as well, click on the link below.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments Finished up the prologue and Chapter One. For being McCammon's first book, you can still tell that it has his smooth and easy delivery. What does everyone else think?

Terry | 3 comments I've read up to part two, which is about 1/3rd in. The story isn't bad so far, but I think (view spoiler)

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 17 comments Thank you for starting the thread. :)

This is one of the McCammon's I haven't read yet. I'm loving it. I'm up to part two as well, Terry.

Terry | 3 comments Jennifer ☼ wrote: "Thank you for starting the thread. :)

This is one of the McCammon's I haven't read yet. I'm loving it. I'm up to part two as well, Terry."

I’ve not read this one either. Actually, I’ve only read Swan Song and The Wolf’s Hour of McCammon’s books, but I definitely liked both of them a lot. So far, I’m not as impressed with this one, but it’s not bad. What do you think so far?

Tracey | 6 comments It's a decent read for a first novel, although I think he was lacking a little in character development. That certainly changed in subsequent books though.

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments Through Chapter 4 -

I agree. This isn't as polished as his later efforts, but still solid writing. (view spoiler)

Chris King | 3 comments Just discovered this group / thread,so may be a wee bit behind as i've just ordered Baal & Bethany's Sin !!

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen (delphyne) | 17 comments Terry, I'm loving it, but I love McCammon's writing so I shouldn't be surprised.

Ken, (view spoiler)

I'm still at the beginning of part 2. I also have the audio and plan to listen more over the weekend. The audio is great for the most part. The female voices are a little... insulting?

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments Chris wrote: "Just discovered this group / thread,so may be a wee bit behind as i've just ordered Baal & Bethany's Sin !!"

By all means, Chris, we'd be glad to have you join us and we'll be discussing this book all month.

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments Finished Part One.

Does anyone else picture Isaac from the movie Children of the Corn as Baal? I'm definitely getting an Omen meets Children of the Corn vibe here. (view spoiler)

Terry | 3 comments Ken wrote: "Finished Part One.

Does anyone else picture Isaac from the movie Children of the Corn as Baal? I'm definitely getting an Omen meets Children of the Corn vibe here. [spoilers removed]"

I can definitely see that Ken, although I hadn't thought of it. I do have The Omen vibe going on big time though.

message 14: by Ken (new) - added it

Ken | 6 comments Still waiting on the library to find a copy of Baal I can read. Sorry I'm so behind on the first book!

Chris King | 3 comments My copy arrived today. A few pages in and it is already quite disturbing.

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments You're good, Ken and Chris. This thread will stay open so we'll continue this conversation for as long as there's activity going on.

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments Finished Part 2. The word I would use to describe it is bleak. The way McCammon described the Middle East is a living hell, between the unrelentlessly hot desert to how the presence of Baal is bringing humanity down to its most uncivilized and animalistic form. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments I finished this one up over the long weekend. While I don't consider it up there with McCammon's best, it still wasn't a bad read. I can rattle off a boatload of authors that would kill to be able to write at this caliber. You can see the writing style is smooth and easy to read. The characters are engaging and the dialogue is realistic. I think the story could've used maybe a little more development, a little more payoff. All in all, still a 3.5 star read. I'll post a review here after I chew on what I just read a little more.

message 19: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 99 comments This is one of his that I still haven't read yet. I knew I wouldn't be able to fit it in at this point, but hoping to get to it eventually. ;)

Kenneth McKinley | 36 comments Kimberly wrote: "This is one of his that I still haven't read yet. I knew I wouldn't be able to fit it in at this point, but hoping to get to it eventually. ;)"

Hurry up, kiddo. We'll keep this thread going so you can join in. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the birth of McCammon.

Tracey | 6 comments Whilst I enjoyed this book, I felt that it could have been a lot better. The book started out great, with the harrowing rape and subsequent birth of Baal. I really enjoyed the story of the child but felt disappointed not to follow his path of blood and violence to the middle east section of the book. Once we reached that stage it fell kind of flat for me, and I felt that he reached a somewhat hurried conclusion, which left me wanting answers. I did enjoy this book, but I agree with Ken, not up there with the best of his.