Infinite Summer 2018 discussion

The End of the Tour

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adam (new)

Adam (quartertonality) | 6 comments Hey everyone, just wanted to mention real quick that The End of the Tour is now on Netflix. For anyone who hasn't seen it it's about Rolling Stone writer David Lipsky's interactions with DFW as he embarks on the final stop of his book tour for Infinite Jest. It's based on Lipsky's article and memoir "Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself." I highly suggest watching it, it's fantastic. Jason Segel plays DFW and Jessie Eisenberg as Lipsky.

message 2: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 3 comments Funnily enough, I can’t stand that movie. I’ve seen it three times to solidify my opinion on it. Segel’s voice performance is so off-putting, in my opinion. He just drags on and on and on in that same monotone voice, not at all the way Wallace really spoke. I could listen to DFW forever, but Segel made me wanna punch him in the face. The dialogue between Eisenberg and Segel is also so awkward it hurt me lol. The entire movie just really leaves me uneasy. The soundtrack is pretty great, though. The final scene with Dave dancing and “The Big Ship” playing is phenomenal.

I would totally recommend all DFW fans watch it, if only because it’s a fricken DFW movie. But with that being said, I think it’s kinda overrated. John Krasinki’s BRIEF INTERVIEWS WITH HIDEOUS MEN is on Hulu and it’s a much, much better movie. Check it out as well!

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Brown | 12 comments That's great, thank you both for the recommendations.

I'm curious to know more about what kind of person DFW was. All I really know about him (and I only learned this a couple of weeks ago) was how much of the rehab stuff in the book was from personal experience.

Just for our participants who haven't read IJ before, would you consider either movie to have "spoilers"?

message 4: by Adam (new)

Adam (quartertonality) | 6 comments Daniel wrote: "That's great, thank you both for the recommendations.

I'm curious to know more about what kind of person DFW was. All I really know about him (and I only learned this a couple of weeks ago) was h..."

Definitely no spoilers in The End of the Tour.