Our Marginalized Relations discussion

For Beginners > Introduction

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 120 comments Mod
Please feel free to introduce yourself here!

I am an intersex woman living in Austria. I love to read and discuss, always broadening my understanding of issues at hand.

I love cats and going for walks!

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 93 comments Hello *waves electronic hand* I'm Pam from Ohio in the US. I'm a geek who loves a good discussion and reflection that helps us to understand this silly old world of ours.

message 3: by Robert (last edited Aug 15, 2018 07:22PM) (new)

Robert Smart | 38 comments Hello All,

I'm Rob from Massachusetts USA. I enjoy reading, riding my 4 wheel ATV, baking (which I have not done in a very long time), I too like cats and have a small dog and like going on long walks off of short pier's. ;))

Why does this sound like a personals ad? LOL!

I can't wait to see what books we will read!

message 4: by Laure (new)

Laure | 10 comments Hi all!
I'm Laure, French woman living in Germany (it's already been 4 years!!).
Work: researcher in biochemistry.
Not work; I walk fast, love hiking, and feel anxious and/or socially-awkward more than often. Trying to find time/ways of action to save the planet and/or destroy patriarchy.

Thanks Meerder for starting this group :-)

message 5: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Pleased to meet you all, and a thank you to Meerder Worter for extending the invitation to join.

I live in the US and am self-employed in the horse racing industry.

We have a group of local women, including myself, establishing a local chapter of the Matriarchy Project.

message 6: by Holly (last edited Aug 16, 2018 07:25PM) (new)

Holly (goldikova) It is a grass-roots, word of mouth movement. It is non-political and maintains no official internet presence. Basically, women of all ages get together and identify the biggest problems they face and we all work together to come up with a solution.

One project was what we called "Safecare Solutions" and this is a network of pre-screened and approved households which join in a child-care pool. This way, everyone exchanges child care, free of charge.

Some other women started the "Working Women's Wardrobe" which consists of donated items appropriate for business attire.

One of our members is a licensed midwife and RN, she presents free seminars in family planning. Another member has donated some kilns to a group of five women who are starting up a hand-painted tile business.

The main concept is that it has to remain a local and hands-on network for women to improve their lives and help those around them improve theirs.

message 7: by Nadine (last edited Aug 17, 2018 07:49AM) (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 32 comments Hello everyone :)

I'm Nadine, 28, born, raised and still living in southern Germany.
Everyone here seems to like cats ;) same here, I live with two black cats.
My favorite thing, of cause, reading and discussing books.
I can't wait to learn new things from the books and community.

Thank you MeerderWörter for inviting me!

Oh an my Instagram is: misshappyreading - no I'm not on the hunt for followers :D but I'd love to connect with everyone who wants to via insta too :)

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Welcome Nadine!

I have to confess: three cats, two ducks, one small hound and a rescue horse or two.

message 9: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I guess I'm just one of those animal people. When I relocate to a milder climate I'll probably really go nuts with the hobby farming.

message 10: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 32 comments Emma wrote: "I didn't mention that I like cats but as it seems to be a theme here, I should mention that I love cats :)
"

There should be a cat on the group picture ;)

I'm just ordered my copy of the first book. I'm keen to start reading and to discuss the book.

message 11: by Robert (last edited Aug 20, 2018 08:43AM) (new)

Robert Smart | 38 comments Nadine wrote: "Emma wrote: "I didn't mention that I like cats but as it seems to be a theme here, I should mention that I love cats :)
"

There should be a cat on the group picture ;)

I'm just ordered my copy of..."

I like the cat idea! :))

message 12: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Historically speaking, cats are a marginalized species; even the victims of downright oppression. Symbolic for a group like this.

message 13: by Pam (new)

Pam | 93 comments Holly wrote: "Historically speaking, cats are a marginalized species; even the victims of downright oppression. Symbolic for a group like this."

Weren't they also worshiped in Egypt?

message 14: by MeerderWörter (new)

Hmmm, we will see if there is a cat on it.

message 15: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 38 comments Keith wrote: "https://youtu.be/Uj0EVT-Ekog"

...and the agile Markhor narrowly escapes the Snow Leopard who was unwilling to follow the Markhor into the chilly froth of the river below. :)))

message 16: by Sascha (new)

Sascha | 1 comments Hey folks,

I‘m Sascha, a middle-aged guy who is excited to read books and have interesting debates on many issues. I appreciate the diversity and colourfullness of people and our world and I wanna learn more about other people‘s experiences and views – and I prefer especially to learn more about experiences and exchange views with people being marginalized by our society.

As for myself, I would say I‘m quite privileged all in all and I‘m always looking for ideas and practises to cope with my own white male privilege in a sensible way and behave as a good ally to marginalized people.

I‘m yearning for our emancipation from all the things that make it so hard for many people in our society (racism, sexism, homophobia and maybe you know what other bullshit I‘m talking about). My dream is living in a world where we don‘t hurt each other, our planet and the living-beings on it anymore and where we can all be happy and live in peace, love and respect together. Sounds actually a bit like hippiness, now that I think about it, but I would not describe myself as a hippie but more as a Punk and anarcho-communist. ;)

Though I have to admit that I would like to be more of an activist fighting to change the things in our world which I can‘t bear - but this is currently not really the case in my daily routine. :(

Now I‘m already looking forward to read exciting books and have interesting debates with you in this group!

message 17: by Stella (new)

Stella I'm Stella. I've been taking the summer off from heavy reading while my two boys were home. Now that they are about to start up school again, I'm hoping to get to some serious reading again. I might be a bit behind the group, but I'll follow along as best I can. I am here to listen (read) and learn. Much love and respect to you all for putting in the work that needs doing.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam | 93 comments Yay Stella!

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 06, 2018 11:31AM) (new)

Hello!

I think I missclicked on accepted in the request to join this group, I am kidding of course! 😁

I am a human from France but I neither drink wine nor eat most of the cheese produce in my original country. After answering those stereotypical questions peole usually ask me if I am French.

Anyway I like reading but I usually do not have much time because of my work. I think a lot or overthink a lot and I have a strong will to challenge my thoughts and opinion to evolve in the path of life :)

Oh! And I really like dry humor which pretty useful when you live in hot and humid region!

I'll try my best to follow the readings but I cannot make any promises.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma wrote: "Florian wrote: "Hello!

I think I missclicked on accepted in the request to join this group, I am kidding of course! 😁

I am a human from France but I neither drink wine nor eat most of the cheese ..."

:p

message 21: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) I am from Greater Manchester, The United Kingdom. I love reading. I love knowledge. I'm a nerd who loves to study as a hobby.

message 22: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 32 comments Hello to all 'new' members :)

message 23: by MeerderWörter (new)

Hello everybody from my side too!

message 24: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) I love your name by the way.

message 25: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 3 comments Hi everyone! This is Critterbee, librarian in the US, love books, but I am a dog person - may I please stay anyway? :)

message 26: by Robert (last edited Sep 07, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Robert Smart | 38 comments ❇Critterbee wrote: "Hi everyone! This is Critterbee, librarian in the US, love books, but I am a dog person - may I please stay anyway? :)"

As long as your dog plays nice with our cats then yes. ;)))

Joking! Of course you can!

Welcome!

message 27: by MeerderWörter (new)

❇Critterbee wrote: "Hi everyone! This is Critterbee, librarian in the US, love books, but I am a dog person - may I please stay anyway? :)"

Welcome Critterbee!
Of course, please do stay!

message 28: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 3 comments Thanks, haha!

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) You're not the only dog person here, Critterbee.

Maybe we could have a thread devoted specifically for discussion of our animal companions?

message 30: by MeerderWörter (new)

Holly wrote: "You're not the only dog person here, Critterbee.

Maybe we could have a thread devoted specifically for discussion of our animal companions?"

Sure. Feel free to create one, for now best suited in the Miscellanous folder I think.

message 31: by James (new)

James Loftus I am an Australian author with two previous novels:
Celtic Blood
Sword and the Thistle
Who has now written a novel about a marginalised boy with a hair-lip despised by all but despite their hate gains a crown through his own undeniable merits. Really, a novel about bullying and overcoming the odds:
The Fool King
Marginalisation I think is a universal theme and close to all our hearts ... at least those of us with a heart.

message 32: by Pam (new)

Pam | 93 comments new book, new book, new book! I'm so excited to see what Meerder has planned for us next.

message 33: by MeerderWörter (new)

Pam wrote: "new book, new book, new book! I'm so excited to see what Meerder has planned for us next."

haha, that made me laugh!
You'll have to wait until friday though, like everyone else.

message 34: by Christine (new)

Christine Lee (0xckylee) Hi, I just joined the group looking for more people to share ideas and perspectives on what is normal. I am particularly interested in how government policies discriminate against the marginalized and people who really need help the most / victims of the system due to societies' bias and ideas of what's normal or moral principles. Looking forward to sharing books and thoughts with you all!

message 35: by MeerderWörter (new)

Christine wrote: "Hi, I just joined the group looking for more people to share ideas and perspectives on what is normal. I am particularly interested in how government policies discriminate against the marginalized ..."

Hello and welcome!
The next book might be just the right one for you!

message 36: by Neha (new)

Neha Deshpande (deshpande_neha) | 3 comments Hi, i am Neha from India. I am a masters student and UPSC aspirant. i aim to join the Indian administrative service and work at grassroot level. i have joined this group to broaden my understanding on the social issues and come up with solutions with help of discussions. I believe that we can learn from each others mistakes and move forward so we can help people going through the same experience.
Also, some of the ideas implemented in other countries can prove as a guide for problems in my country.
For example, the safecare solutions can be very helpful at village level in India, particularly in villages earning livelihood from agriculture. There is a concept called 'Anganwadi" which is a govt funded pre school which also provides the children with education, mid day meals and other basic care but the question of caring for children still persists as majority of women work in the fields till late evening. So a child care pool can be of great help.

message 37: by MeerderWörter (new)

Neha wrote: "Hi, i am Neha from India. I am a masters student and UPSC aspirant. i aim to join the Indian administrative service and work at grassroot level. i have joined this group to broaden my understanding..."

Welcome!

message 38: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 38 comments Welcome Neha.

message 39: by Chloe (new)

Chloe | 1 comments Hello I’m Chloe (waves)) I know this chat has not been active for a while but I still wanted to say hello. I hope I can be active in this group😀

message 40: by Pam (new)

Pam | 93 comments Hello Chloe.

Welcome welcome!

message 41: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 38 comments Welcome Chloe! 😊

message 42: by Udaii (new)

Udaii | 1 comments Hello Pam, my well laid down gratitude to you, Reason: I came to this group after reading your profile.
Hello to every other wonderful person in this book club, I am Udai, a 15 YO Indian student, an Indian Civil Service Aspirant, who is a supporter of every step towards equality, who wishes to work with the marginalized and uplift them. It had been my long time wish to look into the life of the marginalized, and I think I have quite a view on that too, and I believe I may be able to expand that view by interacting with all my "sisters and brothers" here, but my only worry is that I wont be a very active user as I have my studies to concentrate on too!!!

message 43: by Robert (new)

Robert Smart | 38 comments Udaii wrote: "Hello Pam, my well laid down gratitude to you, Reason: I came to this group after reading your profile.
Hello to every other wonderful person in this book club, I am Udai, a 15 YO Indian student, a..."

Welcome Udaii. 😊