The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) The Name of the Wind discussion

NEED new book like Name of the Wind & Outlander

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess I need a new book where the characters and situations are as engaging as the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (specifically the later books) and Name of the Wind. It doesn't necessarily need to be fantasy (in fact, I don't really like a ton of fantasy besides these two series). I've been reading all the "like Outlander" lists and haven't found anything interesting. Please help!

Elmien Meiring If you liked The Name of the Wind, definitely give 'The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson' a go - I loved it.

Renée If youre doing Brandon Sanderson. (And you should!) I recommend starting with Mistborn.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess I actually read Mistborn (liked it but didn’t love it) but never gave the way of kings a go because my husband didn’t like the later books in the series. Maybe I’ll ignore him and give it a try :)

Elmien Meiring Jess wrote: "I actually read Mistborn (liked it but didn’t love it) but never gave the way of kings a go because my husband didn’t like the later books in the series. Maybe I’ll ignore him and give it a try :)"

I really recommend The Way of Kings. I have not read Mistborn yet, so I can't give an honest opinion. But, The Stormlight Archive is quickly becoming one of my favorites of all time, a close second to the Kingkiller Chronicle :)

message 6: by Daniel (last edited Sep 04, 2018 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel Pschaida I'm in the same boat and looking for recommendations. I just tried Cephrael's Hand; it was just too serious all the time and I didn't care about the characters. Mistborn--I'm a handful of chapters into the first Mistborn and so far enjoying Kelsier's wit (and bad-assness) and Vin's je ne sais quoi-ness, but so far just liking it, not loving it. Because I like Harry Potter, Name of the Wind, and the Night Circus, and a bit less but still enjoy it--JRR Tolkien--I thought I like the fantasy genre. After another disappointing fantasy novel, I'm beginning to think what I really like are books with interesting, engaging characters, a story with a quest, an exploration of ideas and what is and possible in an (alternative) world, and most importantly a humor and joy that runs through the narrative and dialogue, so which does not really need to be fantasy.

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess Daniel wrote: "I'm in the same boat and looking for recommendations. I just tried Cephrael's Hand; it was just too serious all the time and I didn't care about the characters. Mistborn--I'm a handful of chapters ..."

I SO relate - I keep going back to fantasy because my favorite series are that, but I keep being disappointed by the genre. I've never read Night Circus though, so I'll look into that

message 8: by Daniel (last edited Sep 04, 2018 01:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel Pschaida Either read yourself or as an audiobook read by Jim Dale, it is excellent! I hope you like it. I've been eyeing but haven't tried Outlander yet; I think I'll give it a try.

Bridget Daniel wrote: "I'm in the same boat and looking for recommendations. I just tried Cephrael's Hand; it was just too serious all the time and I didn't care about the characters. Mistborn--I'm a handful of chapters ..."
I was about to write almost the exact same thing. Huge Potter fan. Have read and re-read Kingkiller while waiting for third book.
Thought Robin Hobb’s Farseer trilogy was pretty good. Took Rothfuss’s suggestion and fell in love with Neil Gaiman (and was instantly rewarded with American Gods on Showtime). But now looking for next love.

Sophie Bennett For the Potter fans who don't necessarily like Mistborn (honestly try way of kings) try Rivers of London, it's set real life, but with. Fantasy twist. Outlander readers try The St Mary's chronicles. Both have a contemplate setting.

message 11: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam To all those reading recommendations of Mistborn and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Reading Sanderson after Rothfuss is like drinking Franzia after a $200 bottle of wine. He's a decent writer, but can't hold a candle to Rothfuss.

If you liked Kingkiller, you will probably enjoy Sanderson to an extent. You will also most likely be left with a feeling of dissatisfaction. I certainly was.

message 12: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Jess wrote: "I actually read Mistborn (liked it but didn’t love it) but never gave the way of kings a go because my husband didn’t like the later books in the series. Maybe I’ll ignore him and give it a try :)"

I prefer way of kings to mistborn. Both are far inferior to Kingkiller. The comparison does Sanderson a disservice because he's actually a pretty good writer when not compared to a genius like Rothfuss.

message 13: by Z. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Z. Adam wrote: "To all those reading recommendations of Mistborn and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Reading Sanderson after Rothfuss is like drinking Franzia after a $200 bottle of wine. He's a decent wri..."

So what would your recommendation be for someone looking for another $200 bottle of wine, great sage advisor?

message 14: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric S. "The Dawn of Wonder" is a good book if you like the King Killer Chronicles. And (sadly) similar to the KKC, book two is taking multiple years.. :( Its worth reading though..

Jason I agree with the comments so far the King Killer Chronicles and Stormlight Archive are good. Also I recommend anything by Jim Butcher. I really like his new series that is steam punk-esque it's called "The Aeronaut's Windlass". I like how engaging his characters are and how they really draw you into the story.

message 16: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave McMahon I agree with the Mistborn suggestion :)

Ariel Definitely try Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. It's a world where magic exists, but told from a different cultural focus, being more afro-centric instead of euro-centric. Still it has great characters who struggle against cruelty, inequality, and violence. Try it!

message 18: by Dean (last edited Nov 05, 2018 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dean Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy and all the books that follow are a wonderful read and to me some of the best fantasy books I've come across. I can't recommend enough.

I'm also struggling to find something new and engaging to read myself at the minute though.

As above I do recommend the Stormlight Archive and Mistborn.

Also if you don't mind trying something out a little darker, Mark Lawrence's books Books of the ancestor and The Broken Empire are worth a read. And also Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow.

Tissa Senaratne If you like to read some Grim-Dark try with "The Blade itself - Joe Abercrombie"

Tissa Senaratne Dean wrote: "Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy and all the books that follow are a wonderful read and to me some of the best fantasy books I've come across. I can't recommend enough.

I'm also struggling to fin..."

If you want some Dark stuff, you gotta read "The first Law Trilogy' by Joe Abercombi... It is fantastic

Melissa I love both these series, and one I would recommend is the Broken Earth Trilogy by Jemisin. I think it also has fascinating but mysterious characters, a really good quest, and plenty of tragedy.

message 22: by Karan (new)

Karan I also enjoyed the First Law series while waiting for the next King Killer chronicles book.

Still waiting after completing the series (it was good though!)

message 23: by Simon (new) - added it

Simon Graeme What is it about the character's in King Killer Chronicles that you think really draws you in?

I find the writing and characters to be what keep me interested and hooked, despite the total lack of a plot arc.

Dinusha Adam wrote: "To all those reading recommendations of Mistborn and The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Reading Sanderson after Rothfuss is like drinking Franzia after a $200 bottle of wine. He's a decent wri..."

that 's exactly how i felt .... Mistborn nevertheless great series

Heidi Hanley If you're still looking for engaging books. I have two to recommend.
Exit Unicorn series by Cindy Brandner. One of my personal favorites. Not fantasy, Irish historical romance.
You could also try my series Kingdom of Uisneach (pronounced 'oosh-nay'). The Prophecy has been out for a year with good reviews and The Runes of Evalon is coming very soon. I don't claim to be Rothfuss, but I have heard been told my characters are engaging.

message 26: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim White The Traitor Son series by Miles Cameron and The Riyria Chronicles by Michael Sullivan are both excellent.