The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) The Fiery Cross discussion

NEED a new book like Outlander, Name of the Wind, etc

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess I need a new book where the characters and situations are as engaging as the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (specifically the later books) and Name of the Wind. It doesn't necessarily need to be fantasy (in fact, I don't really like a ton of fantasy besides these two series). I've been reading all the "like Outlander" lists and haven't found anything interesting. Please help!

Erin I started the "Into the Wilderness" series by Sara Donati. They are pretty engaging and Diana G abaldon has given her stamp of approval. It even makes reference in first book to some Outlander characters. The story changes over time and the main characters
Shift to different family members. It's good. It's not Outlander, but it is good. Has some Native American folklore and history... no fantasy. Hope this helps!

Linda Jess wrote: "I need a new book where the characters and situations are as engaging as the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (specifically the later books) and Name of the Wind. It doesn't necessarily need to b..."

Have you heard of Diana Gabaldon's Methadone List? It's a list of books she's compiled for fans who ask her what to read while they're waiting on the next book. I have found some fantastic reads there. There should be something for everyone. And no, none of the books I've read are like Outlander simply because there's nothing else out there like Outlander!

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess Erin wrote: "I started the "Into the Wilderness" series by Sara Donati. They are pretty engaging and Diana G abaldon has given her stamp of approval. It even makes reference in first book to some Outlander char..."

Ooh I actually read the first one years ago - maybe I'll pick the series back up again. Can't remember why I didn't finish the whole series. thanks!

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess Linda wrote: "Jess wrote: "I need a new book where the characters and situations are as engaging as the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (specifically the later books) and Name of the Wind. It doesn't necessar..."

I've heard of it and tried a few from there a few years ago that I didn't love, but I'll have to give the list a better look through and find one more up my alley. I know, nothing compares to Outlander!

Elena Blackthorne I also loved outlander & I don’t think there’s anything else that compares, but I do have a couple of recommendations for you.
Penelope Williamson’s “Once in a Blue Moon,” “Heart of the West,” & “The Outsider.” Wonderful historical romances.

Also, Julie Anne Long’s Pennyroyal Green series. (11 novels, I think.)
It’s a historical romance series set in Pennyroyal Green, England in the 19th century. Wonderful writing, charming characters & emotional intensity like no other writer I’ve ever read.

Marcella I recommend The Winter Sea. It’s really good and a has real history. If you loved the first Outlander book, you will like this.