YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Marcelo in the Real World
This topic is about Marcelo in the Real World
BUDDY READ: Classics/Literature > Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork- Starting Aug 15th 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments Marcelo Sandoval hears music no one else can hear--part of the autism-like impairment no doctor has been able to identify--and he's always attended a special school where his differences have been protected. But the summer after his junior year, his father demands that Marcelo work in his law firm's mailroom in order to experience "the real world." There Marcelo meets Jasmine, his beautiful and surprising coworker, and Wendell, the son of another partner in the firm.

He learns about competition and jealousy, anger and desire. But it's a picture he finds in a file -- a picture of a girl with half a face -- that truly connects him with the real world: its suffering, its injustice, and what he can do to fight.

Reminiscent of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" in the intensity and purity of its voice, this extraordinary novel is a love story, a legal drama, and a celebration of the music each of us hears inside.

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments I didn't really know the genre of this book- it's literally just YA fiction so I put it in here hopefully that's fine.

GridGirl | 622 comments I'm sure it's fine :)

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments 27% or page 85 (view spoiler)

GridGirl | 622 comments Chapter 7:
(view spoiler)

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments 52% or up to Chapter 17 (view spoiler)

GridGirl | 622 comments Chapter 15:
(view spoiler)

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments GridGirl wrote: "Chapter 15:
Oh no, poor Marcelo.... I feel so bad for him... :(
Wendell is just using him and it's making me so angry...
I really like Jasmine and I don't something bad to happen to her :/
I hope ..."
I totally agree, everything seems to be going downhill, and Marcelo is being used.

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments Page 206 (view spoiler)

GridGirl | 622 comments Chapter 22:
(view spoiler)

GridGirl | 622 comments Finished:
(view spoiler)

ellie (minsungellie) | 166 comments Finished: (view spoiler)