Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Looking for a Project? > Project for Chinese Speakers

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments This author: ??? seems to have a lot of Chinese language books. I'm not confident enough in my recognition of characters to tackle this! NB Do NOT try to merge ??? into any one person as it seems to be a catch all for any three character name!

Books need:
Authors / Translators identifying and adding to the records
??? deleting from record when author/translator etc. have been identified (per book please)
Titles identifying.

Some works are combined, but it may need checking as the fixes are completed for each record.

message 2: by Arenda (last edited Aug 13, 2018 01:50AM) (new)

Arenda | 22206 comments Making a little start, started at the last page.

(Not that I know Chinese, but the first ASIN I checked was on Amazon.cn and with the help of Google Translate I can see what I copy).

message 3: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Ah excellent! I'd done a couple but none had ASIN/ISBNs so I was groping in the dark and it took lots of experimentation on Google Translate to match the characters... I guess I managed to pick the worst ones to start with!

message 4: by Arenda (last edited Aug 14, 2018 01:46AM) (new)

Arenda | 22206 comments The books on this profile are not exlusively Chinese. I've corrected the Japanese ones (ETA: the ones with "Japanese Edition" in the titles), except these 5 that don't have an Amazon.co.jp listing anymore: https://www.goodreads.com/book/combin...

message 5: by Ria (new)

Ria (savage_tiger) | 22 comments I changed those Japanese editions based on the covers. But I don't know Chinese and don't feel like looking at all those covers one by one to try and find anymore Japanese ones, sorry.

message 6: by Arenda (last edited Aug 15, 2018 12:47AM) (new)

Arenda | 22206 comments Annamaria wrote: "I changed those Japanese editions based on the covers. "

Thank you.

message 7: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Arenda wrote: "The books on this profile are not exlusively Chinese."

Mea culpa for not checking :) I suspect that the list may contain any three-character non-Western Alphabet name, but that is likely to be Chinese and Japanese due to name formation - e.g. Russian would probably be ???? ?????? for Иван Иванов and so on. I did have a quick look, and there's loads of these ? profiles.

message 8: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 22206 comments The majority is Chinese however; they have "Chinese edition" as part of the title.

message 9: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Arenda wrote: "The majority is Chinese however; they have "Chinese edition" as part of the title."

At least that's helpful ;)

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments I think it would be worth as we are going through them to somehow mark those that we cannot find on Amazon.cn or by doing browser search for cached pages with ASIN to avoid multiple checkings on the same books.

message 11: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5038 comments Good idea Olivia!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily0339) | 6 comments Hello! I have just amended the first Chinese title under the author ???. I will continue working on the rest of the list :)

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

??? (other topics)