Play Book Tag discussion

The Expats (Kate Moore, #1)
This topic is about The Expats
August 2018: Espionage > The Expats by Chris Pavone - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8871 comments Despite a somewhat lukewarm recommendation from Jolene, Rachel N., and Joi, I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. This would make a terrible book in audio. It jumps around a lot in small bursts to multiple time frames, many just four months to a year off. At we spend a lot of time in the protagonist's head - which I can see why Kate gets a bit unnerving. I wouldn't call her weak, whiny, and complaining - but she does border just a bit on insufferable. Look - I think it takes a lot of talent to write a story from inside a character's head, rather than 3rd person, because you have to be able to do that extremely well. Our internal thoughts are not always the easiest places to be.

My thought as I read this, is that it would be a far better film or tv mini-series than a book. It had the feel of Bravo's Imposters, a two season series that I just adored and recently wrapped up. Also the feel of ABC's The Catch - also a two season similar premise. I also loved ABC's Deception - which I thought was one of the most clever premise and executions on TV, and wrapped up in just one season - but what a season it was! In all of these storylines, the fun is the blurring of who the good guys actually are. Its unclear all the time, who is the cat and who is the mouse. The double crosses - and in the name of love, or children. Characters trying to make the right decisions, for the right and wrong reasons. And they travel all over Europe, playing spy, all the characters do, not knowing who they are chasing - and being just regular folks on top of that. Mom's who fold laundry and have coffee with other moms. Who hang out at playgrounds and do puzzles and carpools. And who have a double life. Who wouldn't want that? All of us must truly want to be living a double life, or we wouldn't be the readers that we are. I found it exciting - and I didn't really care about twists and reveals. I just wanted to enjoy the ride - and I did.

Just one more funny thing about this book. The reason it had been lingering on my TBR was because of a recommendation from a librarian in the children's section of our local library, who had just read it and thought I would like it. I think about how so many PBT members work in libraries and that you guys want to know that we take your recommendations seriously. I actually linger every time at the Staff Recommends section, and has picked up a lot of good or unheard of recommendations that way. I thought this was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I read it. This is what I love about PBT, and why I consider myself the ultimate devotee. Because its really good for me to be pushed out of my comfort zone and try things I never would have otherwise picked up. My interests are narrow (in broad categories; historical fiction, contemporary fiction, magic, and WW2). And yet with this group, I always find something I can really enjoy. Dystopian and Space Opera and Espionage are admittedly just not my thing - but look what fun I am having this year!

Now starting the Summer Queen, which couldn't be more up my alley. I don't admittedly know much about 12th century royals, so this should be a new era for me. Plus, this book is book number six for my listopia lists one and three: Remarkable Women in Historical Fiction (Eleanor/Alienor of Aquitaine) and Girl with a Red Dress. I actually thought I'd knock off about 25 of those this year. That list was just for fun - to see how many I would drum up. But these challenges and personal interests have drawn me asunder. Also up for this month is: The Rain Watcher (giveaway), I'll be Your Blue Sky, the Forgotten Garden, Love and Ruin, and Bachelor Girl. Hint for Bachelor Girl, That book will complete my listopia list four: Historical Fiction set in the Jazz Age, and she happens to be wearing a red dress too. See how narrow I am? The dresses were just for fun.

Rachel N. | 1532 comments I'm glad you liked it Amy. I still think the main character should have been smarter about a few things since she was a spy. I did enjoy their travels through Europe.

message 3: by Joanne (last edited Aug 11, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments I glad you enjoyed it Amy. I do like Pavone. I have not read this one yet, and I think it will go on my shelf because of you(a non-espionage reader)!!!

I really think you are going to love, love reading about Eleanor of Aquitaine. I have learned about her and medieval Europe through Sharon Kay Penman and I am addicted. Currently reading When Christ and His Saints Slept.

Looking forward to your review on this author, whom I have never read.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Yay! I totally agree- I think the audiobook is why some of us had lukewarm reviews.

Happy you liked it!

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8871 comments Joanne - I wouldn’t say its a not to be missed - lol!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review Amy. I may read it just for the travels throughout Europe.

message 7: by Theresa (last edited Aug 15, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Theresa | 7445 comments Will have to read this. Just read my first Pavone The Travelers which I liked a lot. I actually posted a review of it as one of my Espionage contributions.