THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > Formatting for CreateSpace?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Talia (last edited Aug 09, 2018 09:27PM) (new)

Talia Carner (authortalia) | 60 comments I've run out of print versions of my first novel and want to continue making it available on Amazon. I own the rights.

I assume that CreateSpace is the way to go. Is it so?

Do you know anyone who could format the Microsoft Word version into a printable version?

Thanks!

message 2: by Shaun (last edited Aug 10, 2018 02:02AM) (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 101 comments Hi Talia! If you do choose to go with CreateSpace, they have a good amount of information in their forums on how to format your work for print and much more. I found this article entitled "A Step-By-Step Guide to Formatting Your Book's Interior":

https://forums.createspace.com/en/com...

I hope this helps!

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith Guernsey | 20 comments Yes, I have had tremendous success with both my books on CreateSpace! Please email me if you like for more details?
Keith
thegurns2005@yahoo.com
https://amzn.com/153338763X
Twitter=@thegurns

message 4: by Cenarth (new)

Cenarth Fox | 17 comments I can explain how to format a book for print or eBook. My email is writer@labyrinth.net.au
If you want the printed copies (or some of them) for sale or gifts, the print and certainly the postage costs are cheaper with Ingram Spark. Again I can give you some tips in this area.

message 5: by D.W. (new)

D.W. Metz (dwmetz) | 1 comments I've used the guides from CreateSpace a number of times for myself and a few friends. I'd say it's not too difficult to do yourself but the volume of the work will obviously add to the time it takes, especially if you're OCD like me and want everything as perfect as possible when it's printed. If you don't want to do it yourself there are also dozens of offers of fivrr where you can pay someone (relatively cheaply) to do it for you. Be sure to check their reviews and how many revisions they'll provide as you'll still want to do a final proof check yourself.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Harstad | 54 comments I've done 4 books with them. There is a CreateSpace template to download and I copy and paste my writing in as it specifies. Choose 6 by 9 paperback size. If you have used any tree has in Word your scene break symbols will be skewed.

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill | 78 comments Talia wrote: "I've run out of print versions of my first novel and want to continue making it available on Amazon. I own the rights.

I assume that CreateSpace is the way to go. Is it so?

Do you know anyone who..."

I can recommend Jera Publishing. I've used them for the past eight years.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Harstad | 54 comments Sorry. I meant tabs.

message 9: by Talia (new)

Talia Carner (authortalia) | 60 comments Thank you for your help. We got the book formatted and accepted. But we had to use a new ISBN, and now the old reviews don't transfer. The old version with the reviews has a clickable button that sends the buyer to the newer version.
Any other idea?

message 10: by Stacy (new)

Stacy McKitrick | 7 comments Talia - Click on your book title. Under different formats there are links to add a book and combine. You want combine. The other book SHOULD show up to combine with the old. Then the reviews will go to both versions. If that doesn't work, you might need to get a librarian involved, but I think it should work.

message 11: by Talia (last edited Sep 20, 2018 07:54AM) (new)

Talia Carner (authortalia) | 60 comments Stacy wrote: "Talia - Click on your book title. Under different formats there are links to add a book and combine. You want combine. The other book SHOULD show up to combine with the old. Then the reviews will g..."

Thank you. I assume you refer to Goodeads. But on Amazon, this will be a new ISBN. How do I transfer reviews? Rders looking at the old version and see a review but can't get a copy, will find the link to the new print version. But those who find the new print version first, it will show no reviews....

message 12: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 199 comments Do you have an account on Amazon Author Central? If you do, sign in using your Amazon credentials and choose Contact Us. Tell them you want to link an edition and give them the two ISBNs, specifying which is newer. Or just ask them to call you (in the US) and give them the information.

CreateSpace is being absorbed by Kindle Direct Publishing. Once your files transfer over, you may be able to get the same results by contacting Customer Support at KDP. But Author Central definitely links the Amazon pages and lets you set the preferred edition on Amazon.com, whereas KDP just links the books on its own pages (I think).

Note that it can take a few weeks for the new edition to show up on your author page on Amazon.com even so. That's because the edition that has sold more continues to be favored by the computers. And the old edition will stay around so that people can resell it if they wish. But if you talk to or e-mail Customer Support, they will link the two and eventually it will sort itself out.

message 13: by Lori-Ann (new)

Lori-Ann Claude | 6 comments C.P. wrote: "Do you have an account on Amazon Author Central? If you do, sign in using your Amazon credentials and choose Contact Us. Tell them you want to link an edition and give them the two ISBNs, specifyin..."

I had the issue with my eBook and paperback in KDP not linking. There's a link you can find easily by googling "link ebook and paper in kdp" to find the contact form to make the request. They fixed it within 24 hours (but warn you it can take up to 72 hours or a week, can't remember).