Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
This topic is about An Artificial Night
Previous BOMs - Authors; M - P > McGuire,Seanan--An Artificial Night informal buddy reads starts August 15, 2018

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31507 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire.

Synopsis
Changeling knight in the court of the Duke of Shadowed Hills, October "Toby" Daye has survived numerous challenges that would destroy fae and mortal alike. Now Toby must take on a nightmarish new assignment.

Someone is stealing both fae and mortal children—and all signs point to Blind Michael. When the young son of Toby's closest friends is snatched from their Northern California home, Toby has no choice but to track the villains down, even when there are only three magical roads by which to reach Blind Michael's realm—home of the legendary Wild Hunt—and no road may be taken more than once. If she cannot escape with all the children before the candle that guides and protects her burns away, Toby herself will fall prey to Blind Michael's inescapable power.

And it doesn't bode well for the success of her mission that her own personal Fetch, May Daye—the harbinger of Toby's own death—has suddenly turned up on her doorstep...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Geri | 2045 comments Checking in!

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments good idea! i can't wait to start this one. i love all the books in this series but i think most people agree that this one is where things really take off

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Yay!

Geri | 2045 comments I got a head start on this one. Very interesting story. I’ll wait until everyone else starts to comment.

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments should i go ahead and start this today or are most of you waiting until quidditch is over?

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments I started yesterday

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments ok, i'll probably start it in a little bit then because i am in a major slump trying to find something new to read so maybe rereading something old will help lol

message 11: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2045 comments I have finished. I chuckled often. Especially in chapter 2 when we meet (view spoiler) I’m interested in what you guys have to say about Luna. I found the ending bittersweet but well written. But I’ll wait until everyone gets there to talk more about it. It felt like this book was a sort of turning point for Toby.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'm starting today!

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments @Geri I love (view spoiler)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments I'm only on chapter 3 lol. @Devann I hate reading slumps! Hopefully this book will help!

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments i haven't had one in over a year i think but lately everything i've started i've read like 2 chapters and then just taken it off my tbr lol i guess that's one way to cut it down

i read chapters 1-8 so far

i love how danny decides to adopt the barghests [is that the correct spelling? too lazy to check lol] like 'who's an adorable little monster? you are!' i feel like him and hagrid would probably get along

anyway i guess this first bit is mostly getting things in motion and i don't want to say much because i'll just spoil everything but i really love this book it's just so dark!

also i love how october is always like 'look i know i do ten suicidal things every morning before i even have breakfast but i don't want to DIE' like oh honey lol

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments i read chapters 9-17 today so i'm about half way through. i'm kind of surprised at how fast the plot is moving along, there must be quite a bit of stuff at the end that i've forgotten lol

i really love (view spoiler) also there are a few hints being dropped about why amandine is so important to everyone although i don't think that comes up until later books.

i love toby's line about how the candle 'couldn't protect me from my own stupidity' or whatever because she just never even thinks about it and is like MUST RISK MY LIFE TO SAVE OTHERS. idk if anyone else listens to the adventure zone but there's a character called magnus who does the same thing a lot and they will always say 'magnus rushes in!' so i just keep thinking 'toby rushes in!' during this reread lol

kind of debating whether i want to read more of this today or try to start something else ...

message 17: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments I liked this one a lot more than I did book 2, though I think at this point I'm burning out on the series a little bit. The pace is better and Toby does a lot less carrying of the idiot ball, so it was less frustrating.

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I've been reading a bit slower this time around so am only thru Chpt 8 right now -

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments @Alanna i do feel like the pacing is a bit off in this one. (view spoiler)

i read up to chapter ...25 i think? last night and i know i had something to say about it but sleep has apparently made me forget lol. maybe i'll remember when i finish it later

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments I've read through chapter nine. I am so glad the Luidaeg is back in person for this book i just love her! So many riddles so little time. I'm like Toby and would just prefer hitting the riddler until they give me the answer. I'm not halfway yet so I can't really comment on the pace of the story...yet.

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments ok i read chapters 26 to the end today

i really like this one both because i feel like the high stakes make the characters grow a lot as people and also just the structure with all the nursery rhymes and poetry and stuff is all very ~atmospheric~ lol.

also like that we get to see more of lily, luna, and the luidaeg and also meet may because in the second book people just kept coming to help toby and they were all men and i was like 'i do not remember this series being such a sausage fest' lol so it's nice that there's more women taking a larger role in this one.

interested to see what everyone else thinks as they go along :)

message 22: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Devann wrote: "@Alanna i do feel like the pacing is a bit off in this one. [spoilers removed]

i read up to chapter ...25 i think? last night and i know i had something to say about it but sleep has apparently ma..."

I'm through book 4 but (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments @Alanna i don't remember a lot about the pacing of the next couple of books so i can't comment on that but i felt like the first two had a fairly standard structure. i'll definitely keep it in mind as i continue forward though

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Read thru Chpt 21 last night & (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments @Cathy re: the fetch thing (view spoiler)

message 26: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2045 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Read thru Chpt 21 last night & .."

I so agree about Luna and Tybalt too. (view spoiler) But as DeVann says, Toby is too stubborn to die! LOL

Quentin’s decision about his girlfriend was so bittersweet to me too. I wonder if this story has really ended? We still haven’t seen Toby’s mom or Toby’s daughter. I may sneak peeks at upcoming books because I am curious. LOL

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments I'm about to finish today. When I'm done I will be back to discuss how I feel about this one.

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments should i ask for a buddy read for the next one for september 1st or do we want to make adjustments to the schedule?

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments September 1st works for me

message 30: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2045 comments I will likely start late like September 3rd, if that is okay. Weekends are usually too crazy for me. I see the new book is being released September 4. Do you want to have book 4 read before the new one, DeVann?

message 31: by Devann (last edited Aug 20, 2018 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments yeah i plan on reading book 4 from like sept 1-4 then starting the new one on the 5th probably, but if you can't start until the 3rd that's fine. i just figured it would be easiest if we keep it on a schedule of like 2 weeks for every book

message 32: by Jessi (last edited Aug 20, 2018 07:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments I have mixed feelings about this one.
(view spoiler)

Sorry that was so long.

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments @Jess i kind of get what you mean (view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Geri wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Read thru Chpt 21 last night & .."

I so agree about Luna and Tybalt too. [spoilers removed] But as DeVann says, Toby is too stubborn to die! LOL

Quentin’s decision about his girl..."

Very true (about her being too stubborn to die)!

I really thought we would've met Amandine by now. Especially after Toby thought she saw her mother at January's funeral.

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I'll start whenever you guys are ready. TT will be over so my reading schedule won't be so packed! Looking forward to reading at a leisurely pace :P

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Jess wrote: "I have mixed feelings about this one...."

I thought the same!

(view spoiler)

Jessi (jazzykitty) | 1644 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Jess wrote: "I have mixed feelings about this one...."

I thought the same!

The 2nd time she went back, I thought, okay it will end this time. But LOVED that her friends saved her! Remember in Bo..."

Her friends saving her was my favorite part in the whole book! I actually really liked a lot about this book I promise! lol but the things that irked me, irked me so bad it just lowered my rating. And I had to vent about it!

I like how May is her complete opposite and is kind of keeping her grounded and telling her what to do.

message 38: by Geri (last edited Aug 21, 2018 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2045 comments I definitely felt like this book might be a turning point for Toby. She did act like she did not care whether she lived or died. Hence why she kept going back again and AGAIN. LOL But I do think her attitude may be changing and I liked that. I am not “loving” the series yet. But I want to see where the series is going.

message 39: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2045 comments Cathy M. wrote: "I'll start whenever you guys are ready. TT will be over so my reading schedule won't be so packed! Looking forward to reading at a leisurely pace :P"

You and me both! I have been reading too many books lately! I want to read book 4 at a slower pace and savor it more. I want to do the same with other books on my to read list.

message 40: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2045 comments Cathy M. wrote: ".I really thought we would've met Amandine by now. Especially after Toby thought she saw her mother at January's funeral. "

I hope the story about Toby’s mom is worth the wait.

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments I'm trying to remember when Amandine actually shows up in the books and I can't lol I honestly have no memory of the next book and I didn't think it was in book 5 but i think it definitely happens before book 6 so ...still soon at any rate I guess

Claudia | 435 comments I'm about 10 chapters in on this one and hopefully, i can finish it tonight so i can join in on the next book tomorrow. So far this book is really interesting and it sucks you in really quickly. can't wait to see what happens.

Claudia | 435 comments Devann wrote: "also i love how october is always like 'look i know i do ten suicidal things every morning before i even have breakfast but i don't want to DIE' like oh honey lol..."

LOl that was my reaction too.

Claudia | 435 comments Ok so I finished the book and I really enjoyed it. I think we actually see some character growth from Toby in this book. Let's see if it continues in the upcoming books.

(view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2726 comments i agree that this book is really good for toby's character development, it's kind of a wake up call in a lot of ways and i think it finally yanks her out of that semi-suicidal spot she was always in. before this i think she was kind of just like ...not used to being alive i guess after spending 14 years as a fish and not allowing herself to move forward, but now she realizes that she has tons of people who care about her

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

An Artificial Night (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Seanan McGuire (other topics)