What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Whispers IV
This topic is about Whispers IV
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short story from 80s horror anthology, psychiatrist working in asylum. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 4 comments This story would have been in one of the horror anthologies prevalent in the 80s like Shadows or Whispers. I read this story in the late 80s. All I can remember is it was about a psychiatrist working in a mental asylum. He may have been the head doctor. The doctor goes about his day at the hospital seeing patients and whatnot. There is a tone of dread and foreboding but nothing overtly horrific happens. At the end of the story, he revisits a patient who thought he was the devil and the patient tells the doctor something like "I've figured out you are actually the devil." And the doctor replies something like "[Name], I think you're on the road to a full recovery."

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Daniel ~~
You can bump your thread every thirty days or so to move it back to the top of the folder. More eyes will see your thread, and surely someone will know it!

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 4 comments Kate wrote: "Daniel ~~
You can bump your thread every thirty days or so to move it back to the top of the folder. More eyes will see your thread, and surely someone will know it!"

Thank you!

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1472 comments I have most of the Shadows series and I don't remember this story from them, so I would guess that it's probably from Whispers, which I haven't read yet. Other series to check would be Masques (I've read the first two of these) and Night Visions. The story sounds like something Robert Bloch might have written, but I can't say, as I don't think I've read it.

message 5: by Daniel (last edited Jan 05, 2020 02:32PM) (new)

Daniel | 4 comments Thanks, TRWFM, for the info about Shadows--I was leaning more towards it being in Whispers. I'm about 95+% sure it wasn't Masques but I had totally forgotten about Night Visions so that's another avenue to check.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1472 comments I don't have the last three volumes of Shadows, so it could be in one of those. I've only read two volumes of Night Visions (the Campbell/Tuttle/Barker volume and the King/Simmons/Martin one), and I don't remember it being in either.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 4 comments FOUND IT! "Into Whose Hands" by Karl Edward Wagner in Whispers IV. Now that I think about it the feeling of that story just screams Wagner. Can't believe I didn't put it together before.

message 8: by Kris (last edited Jan 05, 2020 06:22PM) (new)

Kris | 33290 comments Mod
Glad you found your short story, Daniel. Here's the link for the collection - Whispers IV edited by Stuart David Schiff which contains "Into Whose Hands" by Karl Edward Wagner.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Whispers IV (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karl Edward Wagner (other topics)
Stuart David Schiff (other topics)