Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

S.E. Lindberg (selindberg) | 2273 comments Mod
I am curious about Reddit. Met Steve Drew who moderates the subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy and was considering trying it out... perhaps creating a connection here (that group on reddit also has a GR group associated with it).

Any members here have thoughts about reddit?

message 2: by Gene (last edited Aug 09, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

Gene Exactly what Jack said. I un-subscribed from the group just for this reason. Also it being overrun by die-hard Malazan fanatics did not help either.

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 41 comments I don't contribute much here but I wouldn't want to see a connection to Reddit, either.

message 4: by S.E., Gray Mouser (last edited Aug 09, 2018 10:20AM) (new)

Always good to ask.

I started to browse reddit and instantly picked up on the same tone as you guys mention.... those moderators have to work hard!

That said, they have same nice AMA (ask me anything events) of well known authors. There seems to be a place/use in reddit for readers which differs from GR.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 41 comments Yes to the AMAs. I did one as part of the promotion for Gardner Dozois's The Book of Swords last fall. But that's just one topping on the Reddit pizza.

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 824 comments I'm quite active on Reddit, but mostly related to programming and the keto diet. Related to books, I do post links to my newly free Kindle book lists on the FreeEBooks group and follow several Kindle-related groups.

I would suggest that any Kindle authors that offer their books free post a notice to that group. I get hundreds of times more link-throughs on my lists from Reddit than I do from the same notices I post on GoodReads.

message 7: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Randy wrote: "I'm quite active on Reddit, but mostly related to programming and the keto diet. Related to books, I do post links to my newly free Kindle book lists on the FreeEBooks group and follow several Kind..."

To offer free books, Randy, is it as easy as posting a note?

message 8: by Randy (last edited Aug 09, 2018 11:31AM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 824 comments S.E. wrote: "To offer free books, Randy, is it as easy as posting a note? "

Yup. To post my lists, it just takes me a few seconds. Very easy:

1. Go to the group
2. Click on the "Create Post" button
3. Click on the "Link" tab
4. Enter the URL and Title. Do the URL first, as sometimes it generates a suggested title from the URL.
5. Click on the "Flair" button, select one genre, then click on "Apply"
6. Click on the "Post" button to post the message.