Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > The Alice Network by Kate Quinn - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments Very good reading. The chapters flip between Eve and Charlie. Eve's story is the years she was a working for England in France, gathering information against the occupation German force during World War I. She was a young woman who looked even younger and passed for seventeen. Charlie's (Charlene) story is 1947, following World War II. She is looking for her cousin Rose who was living in France during the war. She hasn't heard from Rose in a very long time, as children they were very close. The two become acquainted when Charlie goes to the older Eve for help, which Eve is loath to give being a very damaged and curmudgeon person.

The story moves quickly and you get a detailed look at Eve's life as a spy. Charlie is nineteen years old, an American who speaks fluent French because of her French mother and the trips to visit family, and cousin Rose, in France each summer. She is sure her cousin is alive in spite of what her family says. She gathers her courage and takes off on her own, leaving her mother in Paris. Charlie is a damaged character too, she lost her brother to suicide after the war and it weighs heavily on her, making her more determined to find Rose.

Their stories, including Eve's driver Finn, are gritty and feel very real. In fact, there is a wonderful, detailed, Author's note at the end to identify what is real and what if fictional.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2505 comments I bought this and am looking forward to reading it for the tag this month. Thanks for the review!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7895 comments I also enjoyed this book, I loved the character Eve, I could really feel her emotion-excellent writing!

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I also really enjoyed this one! It may have made my Best Books list last year...I really need to start recording those...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Loved, loved this book. Great review!

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8646 comments I'll be starting this this evening! (Didn't read your review closely... just skimmed a little bit!)

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann_reads) Barbara- Glad to see a four star rating. I am reading this book right now, so I'll read your review when I finish..

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8876 comments I love that so many people are reading this book this month. This was one of my most loved books last year. So glad to see others enjoying it.

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 430 comments This is the first espionage review that really caught my eye, thanks Barbara! I'll be pursuing this one for the monthly challenge and the decathlon.

message 10: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments If anyone who is planning to read this is an audiobook fan, I thought the audio was quite good!