The Lost Challenges discussion

Announcements > An FYI for Challenges

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoAnne (last edited Aug 08, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

JoAnne | 40890 comments Mod
Backdating in challenges is ONLY allowed in timed challenges for 2018 (or the current year we are in) such as the 2018 A-Z Challenges.

But if you join a challenge in progress, such as Crazy Celebrations Challenge, you may not include books read before the date you posted to the challenge.

Question: What if I join a monthly challenge that has already begun?
Yes, you may use books that you read since the beginning of that month.

message 2: by JoAnne (new)

Other questions

message 3: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 285 comments But can we change the dates? If a challenge is 3 months and you start two months later, do tou need to finish in 1 month or adapt the dates?

message 4: by JoAnne (last edited Aug 08, 2018 01:11PM) (new)

Claire wrote: "But can we change the dates? If a challenge is 3 months and you start two months later, do tou need to finish in 1 month or adapt the dates?"

If it's a challenge that says Three Months from start date - you will have 3 months. But if you need more time, I'm not going to be mean and say no - time's is finished.

Ok? :)

message 5: by Connie N. (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:04PM) (new)

Connie N. | 3366 comments So it's not the timeframe to complete the challenge that you're talking about, right JoAnne? This rule refers to when someone wants to backdate, even though there's no time limit (or a long time limit) to the challenge. Then it's less of a challenge because you might be able to add a whole bunch of books before you even really start.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 241 comments I think I was the reason for this notice because I was backdating a lot of my challenges and this is why I was confused.

I totally understand about open ended challenges but for challenges with (for example) 3 months to complete I don't understand why it matters when those three months are.

But I will respect the challenge rules and stick to this from now on.

message 7: by JoAnne (new)

Connie N. wrote: "So it's not the timeframe to complete the challenge that you're talking about, right JoAnne? This rule refers to when someone wants to backdate, even though there's no time limit (or a long time li..."

Exactly.

message 8: by JoAnne (new)

Jess wrote: "I think I was the reason for this notice because I was backdating a lot of my challenges and this is why I was confused.

I totally understand about open ended challenges but for challenges with (f..."

Mostly because it's not fair to the people who have been in this group for a long time. You, Jess, only joined 3 weeks ago. You were trying to backdate on challenges posted a few years ago.

message 9: by Ana (new)

Ana (biblionative) | 259 comments Jo, sorry I got a question:

It's mandatory to sign up for challenges and the only books that count are the ones read starting that moment (or that month)?
So I can't decide to do the Crazy Celebration Challenge but only post at the end saying "Hey I've read this during the past 3 months"?

Just to make sure I got this right.

message 10: by JoAnne (new)

LadyPorgana wrote: "Jo, sorry I got a question:

It's mandatory to sign up for challenges and the only books that count are the ones read starting that moment (or that month)?
So I can't decide to do the Crazy Celeb..."

Yes, for that particular challenge, you start the day you post.

On challenges that say Duration: One Year from your start date, you post and that's the day you may add books read.

But say there's a challenge that the duration is March 1, 2018-February 28, 2019, you may add any books read after March 1st, even if you post today.

OK? :)

message 11: by Ana (new)

Ana (biblionative) | 259 comments Ok, perfectly clear!
Thanks a lot <3

message 12: by Ana (new)

Ana (biblionative) | 259 comments I apologise if this is not the propper discussion tu ask, but I need to refresh my memory:

1) Halloween Costume: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
The "Costume" can be also just found in the text? Similar to the Scavenger Hunt?
I've read a book about "Camino de Santiago" (Pilgrimage of Compostela). A priest is mentioned a couple of times, does it count as Religious Figure?

2) Reading the seasons:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Can we add more than one book to the same task?

message 13: by JoAnne (last edited Oct 21, 2018 04:46AM) (new)

LadyPorgana wrote: "I apologise if this is not the propper discussion tu ask, but I need to refresh my memory:

1) Halloween Costume: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
The "..."

Halloween Costume Challenge
Read a book with each costume either as the theme of the book, a character, in the text, title or on the cover.

*Costume - Can be a person in a costume or the actual thing.
(i.e. Fairy - You could find a little girl wearing fairy wings or a book about actual fairies.)

EXAMPLE: [

Skeleton - [book:Funnybones|1208469] Funnybones by Janet Ahlberg ( actual skeleton on cover)
Vampire - Trick or Treat? Trick or Treat? by Bill Martin Jr. (kid dressed as vampire on cover)
Zombie - Warm Bodies (characters are zombies)
Witch - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (witch in title)

I think most people look for the word in the text.

2) Reading the seasons:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Can we add more than one book to the same task?

Yes, that is the point of the challenge. Try to read as many books as you can to get the most points.

Here's a link to the Summer Challenge

and my post in that challengeJoAnne's post so you can get an idea. I quit at 50 points because I did not want to be the winner. Sandra got 123 points!

message 14: by JoAnne (new)

announce

In our Standard Rules, it states:
✱ When you have finished, please re-post your whole challenge as a new message and MARK AS FINISHED or you will not be considered to have completed the challenge and we will not be able to award your Hall of Fame badge.

This has been the rule since I joined this group as a moderator in 2017. It is required to earn a badge. Badges will NOT be awarded if you DO NOT REPOST!
The ONLY exception is if you are having problems with Goodreads. You MUST state this in your post.

Genevieve and I post between 13-15 challenges a month. In January we will be posting all of the new 2022 Yearly Challenges plus the regular challenges. It is a lot and it takes a lot of time to go through the notifications and link members and award badges. Please help us by following the rules.

If you are having problems with Goodreads, try deleting your cache/cookies. I use Microsoft Edge and GR doesn't like it.

This is an email I received from GR.
Hi Joanne,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble again. It's possible that this could be a browser issue – could you try taking the steps below to see if that helps? (Click on the link in each step for detailed instructions.)

Delete your cookies
https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Br...

Clear your cache
https://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Br...

Disable any pop-up blockers
https://www.wikihow.com/Allow-Pop%E2%...

Check if JavaScript is enabled
https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detec...

If the problem persists, do you see this issue across multiple browsers – we recommend trying Chrome or Firefox if you haven't already? If you're seeing an error message, would you be able to send the URL address where you got it?

With some additional information, I'd be happy to look into this further!

Best,
Marcela
--
Marcela J.
Goodreads Expert
Goodreads.com

message 15: by Barb (new)

Barb | 1037 comments It's good that she offers suggestions, but having to use a different browser or disable features just for GR isn't cool at all :(

message 16: by JoAnne (new)

Barb wrote: "It's good that she offers suggestions, but having to use a different browser or disable features just for GR isn't cool at all :("

I know! Another member said it sounds like CYA on GR's part.